It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is skipping school a simple sign that kids are rejecting public shool programming?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I got to thinking about my own experience of public high school the other day while talking with a friend of mine. I started thinking that maybe the reason I desired to skip school so much was that subconsciously was rejecting the program. Has anyone else ever thought about this? I feel like I have learned so much more and am more eager to learn and study than ever after I finished school.

I found an interesting opinion piece as well that touches on this subject.
Dropping out to Learn

[edit on 3/25/2009 by ludaChris]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I skipped the last 6 weeks of year twelve because i realised the A number on a peice of paper wasn't that important to me

Cherry

link   
I skipped school alot because I wanted to hangout with my girlfriend and other friends doing what teenagers like to do.

If they had a sex and alcohol class then I would have gone everyday.

link   
Unfortunately I think they are just rejecting education in general. That's just my opinion as a mom of a teenager who is not interested in school.

NOT that I think that the public school system generally provides a great education these days.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by calmbutwary]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

I agree with your statement. But must digress that the current system and society requires a good number on piece of paper in order to go anywhere in our society. It's a catch 22, on top of the fact that from kindergarten we are taught to unquestionably follow authority.

There are exceptions of course.

[edit on 3/25/2009 by ludaChris]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I agree. I am seriously considering home schooling him until he graduates. My son is a good person, but he does not "conform." That makes a classroom setting very challenging. He does not have a learning disability or ADD.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I guess it all depends on the teachers, the schools, the kids themselves.

I skipped school all the time, but when I was there I was attentive and I almost never did my homework. Got in trouble alot for that, but I always passed my classes, and every test, so they could not really fault me for taking off. I was just absorbing what I learned and then ran off to smoke a joint, drop acid, have wild nympho sex, fun times, fun times.

Where was I, oh yeah, school sucks.. There is something sinister in education programs. I think we all sense it, but dont know really what we are sensing.

What do you really take with you from school. Think about it. Im sure that 70% of the useless stuff that was taught, could have been better spent on more constructive teachings. Life teachings. Cub scouts, and things like that, should be taught to every kid. Everyone should learn to cook, clean, make a fire, sew torn clothes, cut wood, both with axe and power saw, jeez I can think of a whole list that was not taught and should have been, or should be.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I used to skip school because I sometimes found the curriculum boring and non relevant to real life. Oh yeah, And I was 1 of only 2 guys in my class and when the girls used to say "Do you want to spend the afternoon at the beach?", my answer would always be "HELL YEAH!".

IRM

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
ADD what is that telling us, eh. Our babies are empty vassles and what do we do? we fill them with all sorts of garbage. No wonder there is more gangs, dropouts, general losers, ADD sufferers.

ADD is a sign that how we bring up our children and their public education is not working properly. All the other stuff was always there, but ADD is different. There is an adult version too. So what does this mean? It means we need to fix things soon, because Im sure that there is increasing instances of it, and is usually treated with drugs, which while worked for me, maybe, are not always the best thing for children. Think o the future president. Think its bad now.

If 2012 doesnt wipe us out, you can bet that this generation and the next will. The president will try to call home, and he will push nuclear launch button, and say whoops, Oh yeah, I meant the other button.(while slapping his forehead)

I guess I have no solutions, Can we spank them again???? it seemed to work fine for me.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

I really don't buy into the ADD thing either. Spanking worked great until he became bigger than me!
My son is not disruptive or disrespectful in class (I've asked the teachers) but he can spot insincerity a mile away.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Sorry for the long post, but this topic has been on my mind for a while as well and need to rant about it.

When it comes to education, the school I go to is doing a great job. Outside of that, however, I have to agree the 'controlled society' ideas seems to be getting stronger and stronger in schools. Being a sophomore currently in highschool, I should know

The "unquestioningly accept authority" theme is definitely there, but it's been in school ever since someone decided to pack kids in a room with a teacher. Also, the idea of loosing rights and liberties in the name of security is also prominent. Some examples in my school are:

- A few years ago my high school had open-campus lunch. A few select students, however, decided to cause trouble at lunch. Now it's closed-campus.

- Approximately every other month (or every three months) the school will go into a miniature lockdown to keep students in classrooms as drug sniffing dogs are taken through the school to sniff around lockers for anything 'suspicious'.

- As of right now, my school allows backpacks, purses, etc... in classroms. There is a rumor, however, that next year that won't be the case due to 'security issues.'

The sad thing is, not many people see this as an issue. Me and my circle of 'awake' and like minded friends caught on right away, but a majority of the student base are just accepting these restrictions. These people, however, are the ones who either never had to work a day in their life and have no morals based outside of clothing and phones OR the ones who seem to care more about sports than a proper education.

--Just my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I've been skipping school a lot lately.

Im a senior in HS.

I hate the education, mostly hot air. I know my diploma wont be worth squat soon and I like the real education I get from researching.

I find it worthless but I'm tuggin a long for my gf, thats really my only reason.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymouse876

My son is a sophomore too. I have to agree with your post. The school my son was in before we moved here was pretty much a prison. I hated for him to go there everyday and be treated as a convict. Education has definitely taken a back seat to mob control.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

I wish you could value your education more. Fortunately you will graduate soon and move on! I do remember having "senioritis." If you keep your desire to learn, you will do fine in life. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymouse876

I liked your example of the Open-Campus lunch and the disruptive kids. What does that tell us though? It teaches those who obeyed the rules that you are rewarded. And how does it make you feel or think about those who caused you to lose the privilege of open-campus lunch? This promotes mob mentality and group think. It works the same in society with reinforcement of the rules through the use of collective rights. Which is why we should all be against such ideas. Collective rights are not rights at all. But it is pushed in public schools. Not the teachers or faculties fault though, this is how they were taught to administrate schools, and it was how they were administered when they were in school.

[edit on 3/26/2009 by ludaChris]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ludaChris

Very well written!

Now I really want to homeschool!!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Of course your HS diploma will be worthless if you don't go to college and earn a degree. HS is the middle of a staircase, you can't expect to stop after so many stairs and expect to get to the top. You have to put in the extra effort and climb the whole thing.

I found that out the hard way, luckily I joined the military and decided to continue to get an education. These days you can't even make rank in the Army without a college education.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I never thought of it that way. All I ever saw it as was a way to just restrict our rights, and didn't realize that it could go deeper than that. Thanks for the insight!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Of course your HS diploma will be worthless if you don't go to college and earn a degree. HS is the middle of a staircase, you can't expect to stop after so many stairs and expect to get to the top. You have to put in the extra effort and climb the whole thing.

I found that out the hard way, luckily I joined the military and decided to continue to get an education. These days you can't even make rank in the Army without a college education.

How far can a society that ranks its members based on the achievement in a false education system, that is based in it's heart on indoctrination, go? It's increasingly clear that we are headed down the #ter. How can you reverse multi-generational indoctrination through mandatory public schooling when the parents of kids in those schools now will only continue the vicious cycle for their own children because of the indoctrination they received in public school. A perpetual system that perpetually dumbs down a population from generation after generation. If I wanted control of masses of people, this is how I would do it.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by anonymouse876

I never thought of it that way. All I ever saw it as was a way to just restrict our rights, and didn't realize that it could go deeper than that. Thanks for the insight!

Its not my insight, well maybe a little, but the base idea of this system of deliberately creating hordes of dysfunctional minds isn't mine. Look into the likes of John Taylor Gatto and Charlotte Thomas Isyrbit(spelling on that one is iffy). Their books are very interesting reads.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join