It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange - Large Influx Of Older Coins Just Enter Circulation in the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Something I have noticed the last 3 weeks. Almost every time I get change there are one or two (very old) coins.

In one week I have gotten about a dozen 1950's & 1960's nickels, a bunch (couple of dozen) of pre 1980 pennies, a couple of 1960's quarters.

I have regularly for years checked my change for older coins to save but over the last 3 weeks I have gotten more than I did all last year.

Just me being extremely lucky or has anyone else noticed a similar trend?

[edit on 25-3-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I haven't noticed any change in my change, if you'll pardon the odd phrasing.

You could just be on a 'lucky streak'...or it could be that as we use coinage less and less, coins aren't wearing out as fast, and the government is saving money by...saving money, as it were, and not recycling older coins as quickly as they once did.

I really can't think of a 'conspiracy' reason to keep old coins in circulation longer, but I'm sure one will pop up shortly!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It's possible that one or more people in your area are having to use thier coin collections to pay for food or gas. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Times are tough, perhaps older people are cashing in those loose-change jars they've had around the house for decades.

Or, it's entirely possible that they've always been there and you're simply noticing them more often. I can tell you that I hardly ever look at the change in my pocket for anything more than a quick second to count it.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Monger]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
There is alot of older coins in the supply as of late here in California for some odd reason . My hub collects silver dollars and once a month the lady at the bank orders him like 30-50. This last time he got 30,one that was a 1929 and none of the others where above 1975. He went back to the bank to see if any of the others where older to and all of them where. The teller was really surprised and said they normally turn them in when they are really old.
Our change has also been turning up with some really old coin's. The latest date so far is 1953 nickle, a 1958 quarter, can't remember the dimes and ALOT of wheat pennies.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I haven't noticed.
Interesting side story, once in my youth I was a cashier while working during high school back in the 80's and I cracked open a very old looking roll of dimes and they were silver. I told my manager and he snatched them up I never saw the date

Could anybody "in the know" Figure out what year they could have been and how much they may have been worth? I never knew they made silver dimes

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Interesting. Cashier at the drive through a few days ago pointed out a wheat penny in my change. Didn't think much about it at the time other than a quick "cool."

Don't really see any conspiracy in it, just people using up that stored/saved change.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I always look through my coins for very mint ones and old ones. Also keep an eye out for error coins. Don't just laugh at them and give them to the next person because some of them are worth a good amount. Even on eBay. You won't get dealer price but turning a quarter into $22 bucks is a deal I don't mind making. Even when the value of the money shrinks there is still a collector market for the pretty and odd ones.

Go to the library and look up the prices on coins you think might be old and rare. Some pennies go for hundreds of dollars. Now THAT is a good investment. the copper is only worth 1.5 cents at most.

happy hunting!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I thought you were talking about really 'old' coins. Coins that are 50 years old are not too rare.

As one poster said, many folks are probably spending that change they've saved for years.

If old coins interest you I will attempt to take a picture of some pieces of eight a few other old coins and post them if I can figure out how to do it.

If I were a coin I would be a collectors item as I was minted in 1947. Being of that time period it a bit more difficult for me to figure out all the ways and means of computers.

Seems just like yesterday our telephones were hard wired and we had a two party line. Oh yes and black and white TV. But I digress........

Happy coin hunting.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Well, if any of those silver dimes were 1965 dimes, then they would be worth a lot of money now. They stopped making silver dimes in 1964.

"Coin: 1965 Silver Dime
Estimated Value: $9000+

Background: The official production of silver dimes were discontinued in 1964. Begginning in 1965 dimes were made out of copper and nickel. A silver 1965 dime is a mistake (and a rare one). "

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The 1965 silver dine was minted by accident. And yes they are very rare as not many were minted. Some were only plated with silver.

The actual silver dime is worth up to $10,000.00.

Being accidentally minted makes them more valuable.

Good call on that one. It is indeed rare.

The way to tell if a silver dime is plated is by weight.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Usually this happens just before Christmas when people cash in or ripped off. I never spend my change till I go thru it and manage to save 400-500$ a year that way.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Do you by chance live in Colorado?my youngest sister moved in with my mother to supposedly help her,seems she helped herself to mom's bank account,and the coin collection I started at abot 7 yrs old,with just a few of these rare coins were with in excess of a million dollars,she probably bought Tequila with them

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I've noticed a lot of older folks hitting the coin counter machine at the grocery store lately. One little bag at a time. I've got a 5 gallon water bottle full of change ready to spill if I ever need it.

On a side note. When I was a kid I used to mow lawns for several widows in my neighborhood and one kind lady would occasionally pay me with crisp, like new silver certificates. Unfortunately, like a foolish kid, I cashed them in at the local arcade for tokens and my chance to get the top score in Galaga and Kung Fu Master.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
More today... 4 1950's nickles and a couple of wheat pennies.

I don't know... if allot of people are cashing in their stores of old coins these people must have been saving coins for over 30 years or something. WAY to many 50's & 60's coins showing up. There must be a hell of allot of people cashing in old coin stashes to produce this level of older coinage.

I have been getting change from Taco Bell, gas stations, Kroger, and other restaurants and even some from the bank when I cashed a check. They seem to be all over the place.. about one out of 15 to 20 coins for me now.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
For those not 'in the know' dimes, quarters, halves and dollars minted 1964 and earlier are 90% silver and worth about 10 times face value for silver content alone. You can check Coinflation.com... for more accurate values.
There are also silver "War Nickels" that were minted for a few years back in WWII (42,43 & 44). You can identify a silver nickel by its mint mark over the dome on the reverse. If it has a large letter over the dome, it is a silver nickel and worth about a buck in melt value.
I always do a quick check of all my coins by looking at the rims, if there is no copper band then I check the date to see if it's silver.
There are a lot of older coins floating around now due to the bad economy and folks dumping out the old coin jars, so it pays to keep an eye out for silver.
Most wheat cents are worth less than 10 cents each, so I don't pay much attention to the coppers.

Happy hunting,
eb

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Don't really see any conspiracy. I just got going though a one gallon coffee can that is so full I can not get the lid on. What I found here is most was 1970 to date. I did find one nickle that was 1941. A few wheat pennies. This old coin thing seems to not have hit my area yet. Maybe this is just a sign of how bad times really are. Jars and cans of coins that have been in the basement for years and years are now having to be cashed in. I do see a down side to all of this. Real rare high dollar coins may lose value as the market gets more and more old coins. A coin that is worth $50 today may not be worth $5 this time next year. Now may be the time to sell so of those old coins. Or save them for you great grand children. Which ever.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
As off topic as this whole thread is to the forum, does anyone know any good websites where I can learn more about coins? Since I'm a cashier, I can keep an eye out for nice coins every day that I work. We get a lot of the newer quarters, but all of my pennies have looked old.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Only thing that comes to me is that maybe with the economic downturn people who collected coins and such have had to dig them out and spend them instead of saving them.

And before you say that people don't just save random coins, some people do. I have a habit of saving any coin with my birth year on it >_< I'd wager there are other people like that out there too.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahimsa

"Coin: 1965 Silver Dime
Estimated Value: $9000+

I remember that day like it was yesterday they just didn't sound right when I cracked them open and they fell into the tray!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join