It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to save the world from an asteroid impact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

How to save the world from an asteroid impact

www.newscientist.com

IT IS 2036. A large asteroid is on a collision course with Earth. Unless it is stopped, it will crash into the Pacific Ocean, creating a devastating tsunami. What should we do?

We could blast the asteroid with a nuclear bomb, but that would risk shattering it into smaller pieces that could still threaten Earth. Or maybe we should try to force it off course by slamming into it with a heavy object or there may be a third option: gently nudging it with high power lasers
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Already saw a thread here about the asteriod hurtling towards the earth for 2036, so I thought this article would be of interest. Having read all the different methods that are possible to deflect the asteriod, I think the method of using nuclear explosions just behind the asteriod to deflect it slightly and make it steer clear of earth sounds the best to me. But this will have to be done while the asteriod is at a "safe" distance.

My hypothetical question is if we were to do the same thing to earth, where would our earth go? and what kind of orbit will it have? and would life still exist on earth?

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It would take incredible power to push the Earth off it's axis and into a new orbit. It's not even an option.

IRM

[edit on 25/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
My hypothetical question is if we were to do the same thing to earth, where would our earth go? and what kind of orbit will it have? and would life still exist on earth?

Life would be a lot better for sure.... At least for us in the tropics... Nudge the Earth to a farther orbit from the Sun.. It's getting awfully warm in here!!

I mean seriously. It's getting hotter by the year for the last 20 years. I miss the time 20 yrs ago where I could spend the whole day without sweating!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I hope and pray there is a time ,VERY soon, where we all have to work together as one race.. Humans.. & attempt something such as the deflection of an asteroid..

it could potentially destroy yet, SAVE Earth..
In such a humbling way.

I think everything would be different afterwards.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
sadly it would take something like this to jolt society back into consciousness.
line dos.

top topics

join