It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2010s needs the spirit of the 1960s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
If our Western civilization is going to survive, we need the spirit people had back in the 1960s.

There have only been a handful of popular protest songs against Bush, Iraq, etc. In the 60s you had tons of anti-government, anti-war and peace songs. People feel hopeless, and instead of trying to do something about it, my generation cuts themselves and listens to My Chemical Romance to ease the pain.

Kids in my generation, born in the late 80s and early 90s seem to accept that the world will come to an end and they have no future. So they get drunk, party and flunk school. While it's the older generation's fault everything is happening, it's MY generation's fault we're not doing anything about it, and if we love ourselves and the generations a. of us, we HAVE to stand up and fight against the powers that be (i don't mean violently).

I tell you now, the 2010s is the decade where the fate of HUMANITY and the entire BIOSPHERE will be decided. We can go green, not accept oppression from the elite forces that rule this world, learn to love each other and realize we're all in this together on a tiny planet, forgive the mistakes of our enemies and the age-old battles between nations that still tear the world apart, stop worshiping the Dollar or whatever Global Currency the Powers That Be might want to force on us.

It's our choice - MY GENERATION's choice, if Humanity makes it to 2100 or past 210,000. We have to stand up, change our lifestyle, and DEMAND that we do not let our leaders blow other countries up, and pave the way for our own countries to be blown up.

We can't keep denying that climate change and especially pollution and habitat destruction is epidemic and threatens our existence and quality of life. Whether you believe in global warming or not.

We can cut ourselves, drink alcohol, and watch South Park for a few more years, then die or submit to slavery, OR we can build a world that people never kill themselves to leave, or waste their whole life working a 9 to 5 job and looking to the sky, asking God to take pity on their pathetic selves.

If we want to survive, if we want our children to survive, we have to adopt the spirit of the '60s. EVERYONE needs to go downtown and hold up signs.

EVERYONE must demand disclosure of UFOs.

EVERYONE must pressure Big Oil to go green.

EVERYONE must ask WHY the US government sponsored terrorism in the 1980s.

EVERYONE must ask WHY companies ship all our work overseas, and exploit destitute people who can't afford to take any other jobs.

EVERYONE must learn how to grow a garden.

EVERYONE must put aside their differences, and their grudges, and help their fellow human being.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You're so right...

No its not our fault the world is the way it is-yet how it has been "destroyed" by the older generation doesn't seem to drive us to do better. We get so wrapped up in ourselves because we can't bear to look out the window.

Those who lived the sixties kind of gave it all up...most of them. Many became pessimistic. And we're feeding off that; in the media and in some of our own personal relations.

I wonder why it all changed....how it was all suppressed...who suppressed it all....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

This is the most intelligent post I have ever read on this or any other forum. We spend most of our time whining about the condition of our lives and our world, yet we do very little to change anything about it. I'm elated to see that I'm not the only person that is tired of this trend.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I totally understand the OP's ideas, but, I have to dissent, regarding the timing of such actions. While I think a time may come for disclosure and development, there are larger stability issues at stake that prevent a real shift in popular ideology.

I understand that I am usually around here criticizing the current Administration for its promotion of its own power and the development of this power into an instrument with which to beat down all dissenting voices. I agree that resistance to this form of tyranny must be utilized.

However, I think what the United States needs now, more than anything, is stability. The 1960s were a period of upheaval, social change, and unrest around the world. These occurred out of a strict culture that existed in the previous decade. The United States could handle mass protest and large scale change without collapsing or slipping into tyranny.

Also, in the 1960s, the leaders in the United States were relatively weaker than Presidents Obama and Bush. Please, before you disagree, there has not been a President in history, with perhaps the exception of FDR, who has had the sweeping and general power that the current President has taken unto himself.

This paradigm shift, that is, the movement of power away from states and into the hands of a directly connected electorate to its national leaders, has already acted in a massively destabilizing way in the past five years. To encourage social unrest and protest cannot be tolerated at this point in time.

If we move towards the social change ideas and aspects of the 1960s, we condemn our nation to civil unrest. I fully understand the palpable outrage boiling up in the nation, but, should we allow this to turn into civil war?

My suggestion is, before it is too late, that we must have a leader, or group thereof, that can restore the founding principles and rebalance a severely misaligned state.

This is a very interesting thread, and I understand the OP's point, which does make a compelling argument. I just see the reverse side of the coin.

Edit: Clarity

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Iago18]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dreammaker
reply to post by Donnie Darko

This is the most intelligent post I have ever read on this or any other forum. We spend most of our time whining about the condition of our lives and our world, yet we do very little to change anything about it. I'm elated to see that I'm not the only person that is tired of this trend.

thank you

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The protests of the 1960s against the Vietnam war were largely due to the DRAFT. Kids faced the very real possibility of being DRAFTED into the military, so they took action to protest the war. It was not that they were more idealistic, ultimately, although they clothed themselves in the mantle and rhetoric of idealism: their protests were self-interested in the sense that most people didn't want to go half way around the world and die. If there had been no draft, the protests would certainly have been much smaller and more like today's rather lackluster protests.

The government learned that lesson well; they went to an all-volunteer military and have not reinstated the draft since Vietnam. No draft, no mass protests. Lesson learned.

The 60s generation's image has also been tarnished because most people were unable to live up to the high ideals (spiritual, political, moral, aesthetic, etc) and goals they set for themselves. For a few brief years it seemed like a new consciousness would be born. Then people got burned out from too much partying, went to law school, and became the yuppies of the 80s (white-collar version of the story) or settled down and worked at the same factory as dad until it got closed due to competition from East Asian imports (blue collar version of the story).

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Honestly in my area there is a large amount of us who are well i guess you could say have some of the same philosophies of the sixties...a balance of spiritual and political and general everyday awareness....
not to be ego trippin im sayin I can feel in people that everyones startin to realize..."hey this way isnt working too well anymore is it?"
People will eventually obtain more knowledge and learn thus ore about themselves...aswell as the earth we live and the the relationships we have to EVERYTHING on this Earth...Wether it be phsyically or mental spiritual or even economics...and ost importantly people
I mean change is inevitable wether its so slow or gradual that you dont realize till you look back and say..wow
Or perhaps this could be an idea that is embraced quickly due to current global situations...or maybe not at all
I think the most important thing is to learn how to try to be relatable and respectable to others and look at the comon ground you have or the comon ideas and build upon those to try to accomplish some kind of peace and understanding...
I agree with wht everyone is sayin but imo anyway I think we need to call for a evolution alongside the revolution

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
The protests of the 1960s against the Vietnam war were largely due to the DRAFT. Kids faced the very real possibility of being DRAFTED into the military, so they took action to protest the war. It was not that they were more idealistic, ultimately, although they clothed themselves in the mantle and rhetoric of idealism: their protests were self-interested in the sense that most people didn't want to go half way around the world and die. If there had been no draft, the protests would certainly have been much smaller and more like today's rather lackluster protests.

The government learned that lesson well; they went to an all-volunteer military and have not reinstated the draft since Vietnam. No draft, no mass protests. Lesson learned.

The 60s generation's image has also been tarnished because most people were unable to live up to the high ideals (spiritual, political, moral, aesthetic, etc) and goals they set for themselves. For a few brief years it seemed like a new consciousness would be born. Then people got burned out from too much partying, went to law school, and became the yuppies of the 80s (white-collar version of the story) or settled down and worked at the same factory as dad until it got closed due to competition from East Asian imports (blue collar version of the story).

Good point, I forgot about that.

top topics

join