It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planned Crucifixion in club 'blasphemous'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Planned Crucifixion in club 'blasphemous'

www.irishtimes.com

A PLAN by a Wexford nightclub to re-enact the Crucifixion of Christ for the entertainment of revellers over the Easter weekend, has been condemned as “blasphemous” by a Catholic priest.

The Music Factory in North Main Street, which regularly hosts themed nights, is staging a mock Crucifixion on Easter Sunday night with an actor playing Jesus on the Cross being whipped by dancers dressed as Roman soldiers.

Club co-owner Peter May said the Cross would be erected in the middle of the dance floor and a performance will take place as part of a show called the Resurrection Section.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
On the one hand; the owner said:

“It will be done in a fun, lighthearted way. A lot of young people forget what Easter is really about. This is a way of reminding them,” he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ok fair enough. He claims that they are actually doing it to get the young people partying for Jesus-or is it shock value?

On the other hand:

Fr Fegan said he wondered why anyone would want to stage a scene like this in a nightclub. “It is clearly not a religious event. Therefore, one has to think that it’s a mockery of the Crucifixion and a blasphemy,” he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That is also a good point I believe.

So what do you think?
Do you think its a good idea?
Do you think they're legitimately doing it to bring the message of Easter to the youth in a fun way? Or just being outrageous to get people to come to their club?
Is it really blasphemous?
Thoughts?

www.irishtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_awoke

They might as well just stage a production of "Jesus Christ Superstar."

While I don't consider their plan to stage the crucifixion in such a "light hearted" manor blashphemus, I think it just shows poor taste.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm no religious whatever they call them these days, but this is in poor taste. Why would you want to invite that kind of religious backlash to your club, unless....

Ohh right ofcourse, marketing ploy. Good job whoever came up with that advertising strategy, they are going to make big bucks come Easter Sunday.

I don't know how people can possibly have fun with that idea blatantly in front of them all night. I mean if you believe the stories the man was dragged,beaten tortured and the crucified for god sakes. (no pun intended)

A little ridiculous IMO.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Well get it on, I mean, who cares?!
But I'm still happy to have different party plans on easter

Now seriously, whats the big deal here? Should it be illegal to stage the Crucifixion of Christ?!
A big NO from my side, god how I hate the word blasphemy.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I suppose this could be fun for young people. Hell, I was in a Passion Play in Cincinnati many years ago. I was the guy who beat Jesus, and later I was the bad guy on the cross and spoke meanly to Jesus. It was fun for me and from the reviews, I was a hit. lol. Oh, it was great! Amid a monstrous beat of drums, flashing strobe lights, I strutted onto the stage wearing nothing more than a leather "diaper" and I walked back and forth across the stage, learing at the audience, cracking the cat-o-nine tails at them. I heard gasps from the audiance. It stoked me! And then I turned to whip "Jesus", my best friend, an actor, who recommended me for the part, and I began to whip him. I got too close to his back and began making red marks on his skin and he writhed in agony, groaning and screaming, and he said under his breath, keep going Se Gundo, this is fantastic. lol. We partied after the shows and he told me this was what acting was all about. More power to these partiers. I hope they have a great time and the Jesus actor enjoys his role. No, I never acted again, it was too much for me to know that I enjoyed being such a bad guy. lol.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by kyred]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
As far as i can tell they are breaking no laws and its their club,they can do what the hell they want.I dont see it as blasphemous,but i also dont see the attraction..like i said though,their club and they can put on the show despite the ramblings of a priest.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You are of course absolutely correct. I, however, find the notion repugnant and ignorant.

Quite significant in this gesture of 'free speech' is the intent "to remind" the 'kids' what Easter is all about. The premise of Easter is based upon the acceptance of spiritual dogma that is precisely 'contrary' to the display these people will be reveling over.

QED the intent can reasonably be inferred as obvious mockery.

While I hate the message, I cannot contend that there should be a reason to do anything but boycott the event and comment no further on it. Publicity is their objective. Don't let them have it. Don't make a spectacle of it. Don't download the YouTube video, don't comment on it. Don't let anyone but those who can unabashedly mock the faithful suffer the spectacle of so-called 'kids' carousing around like some Bohemian Grovers.

Other than that all one could do is lower themselves to the level of the mockery and directly interact with it. As the least of God's children I simply say "screw them" and move on - nothing worth seeing here.

Some might believe this should be protested or somehow "spotlighted," I suggest it's the media that makes you think so. trust me, this is the crap one has to contend with if one wants to enjoy free speech.

GREAT OP! Starred and flagged!

[edit on 25-3-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I personally have no time, as I was, made no time for religion. I see this as someone trying to reach the youth in a different way. Just because it's not in a church or a church sanctioned area doesn't make it a mockery or blasphemy. I'm pretty sure it says somewhere in that book that it doesn't matter where or how you show praise to your God. Think about that for a second and realize that condeming this is hypocritical.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't go so far as calling it blasphemy. After all, to blaspheme one must believe. They probably don't. This is a business activity right? Drinks, young adults dancing?

Or are they intending to do this 'ceremonially' which is to say, not to entertain?

Maybe it won't be offensive, but somehow I doubt it.

top topics

join