It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far out do you plan to bug out?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Back in my mad cycling days (not actually that long ago) I took a long holiday around England. On roads, 100 miles with a full pack is definitely doable in a day. I did try a bit a canal path on the third day (somewhere in Wiltshire/Berkshire), that wasn't so good, even so I reckon 50 miles a day is a fair assessment. One point to remember though, a lot of the "paths" are just trodden down foliage, lots of hidden thorns and on the more civilised areas plenty of youth-detritus, broken glass etc.

Get puncture proof bicycle tyres, they are sold by the Green Tyre Company which I think is based in Middlesbrough.
NR

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Silent, there's a saying that God helps those who helps themselves.
I'm not a religious type much these days but I know that when the metals hot you strike and you strike hard.

I'd rather die on my feet than meekly accepting my fate if its coming the way I think its coming.

If that means dying alone I'll take that option than slowly languish in some camp with a mass of humanity at their wits end.

I did some calculations just now on my BOB, catche supplies and 'tools'.
It comes in at just under 200 kilos. I haven't catched yet so it'll be coming along for the ride.
I'll be sourcing a 4x4 soon (the alternative is me Skyline, which is too low for offroad).

The gears getting loaded into that and I'm hitting the road! My bikes getting strapped to it too hopefully!
I'll probably be relocating to the country fringes and bugging in a wee bit. Nothing too deep, just somewhere to lay-up. Get a crappy job nearby to keep the funds ticking over.
Then if and when anything does kick off I'll be 'in-range' so to speak.
I'll likely either be nearby to either Citizen or NR so the route I'll take out of town will hopefully be clearish and heading out and away towards the Cheviots or Pennines.
The narrow boat is interesting CS but I have considered that the series of lock-gates and the delay / effort needed to make your way to safe havens north will be considerable. Factor in any hostile encounters and it could be 'a lock-gate too far.'

Hopefully any actual Bug out won't be till much later cause I've yet to establish a friendly presence there with NR and the locals...

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith...will offer my services as an outrider-scout to ride a few miles ahead and spot/secure locks in return for mobile-shelter security

not forgetting the possibility for an 'aquisition' of a boat

That's the other thing. I've had a look around here at the possibility of river bug-out routes and although there is the added problem of "London" there remains the issue of lock navigation.

Firstly, I have no idea how to use a lock although I imagine it's fairly straight forward once you have access to the crank handle, or the hydraulic machinery. Remember a lot of leisure canals have manned locks so there will undoubtedly be some absences in a SHTF scenario.

Regardless of locks, English river travel does leave you pretty much a sitting duck, it's not particularly quick either. Maybe better off packing an inflatable in your MBK panniers and using it as a means of transporting items across water.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
Silent, there's a saying that God helps those who helps themselves.
I'm not a religious type much these days but I know that when the metals hot you strike and you strike hard.

I'd rather die on my feet than meekly accepting my fate if its coming the way I think its coming.

If that means dying alone I'll take that option than slowly languish in some camp with a mass of humanity at their wits end.

I did some calculations just now on my BOB, catche supplies and 'tools'.
It comes in at just under 200 kilos. I haven't catched yet so it'll be coming along for the ride.
I'll be sourcing a 4x4 soon (the alternative is me Skyline, which is too low for offroad).

The gears getting loaded into that and I'm hitting the road! My bikes getting strapped to it too hopefully!
I'll probably be relocating to the country fringes and bugging in a wee bit. Nothing too deep, just somewhere to lay-up. Get a crappy job nearby to keep the funds ticking over.
Then if and when anything does kick off I'll be 'in-range' so to speak.
I'll likely either be nearby to either Citizen or NR so the route I'll take out of town will hopefully be clearish and heading out and away towards the Cheviots or Pennines.
The narrow boat is interesting CS but I have considered that the series of lock-gates and the delay / effort needed to make your way to safe havens north will be considerable. Factor in any hostile encounters and it could be 'a lock-gate too far.'

Hopefully any actual Bug out won't be till much later cause I've yet to establish a friendly presence there with NR and the locals...

Go for a 4x4 van, Ivecom, Ford and Merc do one, you can make your van a mobile retreat, alternatively uyou could pick up one of those grey imports Mitsubishi 4x4 micro campers, they are based on the Shogun engine and chassis, anpother option is a LONG 4x4 like a Landy 110 that you could put a roof tent on and a kitchen on the back door. Any KNOWN survivalists are assured a safe place to rest awhile here if TSHTF. the Canal network pegs out at Ripon if your heading up north, odd really cos you can in theory travel from Ripon in Ny Yorks to the Black Sea but cant get to Newcastle

[edit on 27-3-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

Originally posted by citizen smith...will offer my services as an outrider-scout to ride a few miles ahead and spot/secure locks in return for mobile-shelter security

not forgetting the possibility for an 'aquisition' of a boat

That's the other thing. I've had a look around here at the possibility of river bug-out routes and although there is the added problem of "London" there remains the issue of lock navigation.

Firstly, I have no idea how to use a lock although I imagine it's fairly straight forward once you have access to the crank handle, or the hydraulic machinery. Remember a lot of leisure canals have manned locks so there will undoubtedly be some absences in a SHTF scenario.

Regardless of locks, English river travel does leave you pretty much a sitting duck, it's not particularly quick either. Maybe better off packing an inflatable in your MBK panniers and using it as a means of transporting items across water.

Added some Waterway and Railroutes to my Flickr Page, which once again I cant make the link work.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I did find thisone for canals.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
reply to post by Northern Raider

I did find thisone for canals.

Excellent well done, If I was using the river and canal network I would walk during the day, or canoe / kayak at night.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
For those in the Uk interested in the bugging out north concept, I wonder if I could ask you to take the time to read a copy of John Christophers bugging out novel Death of Grass ( No blade of grass). It gives a bloody well thought out fictional attempt to bugging out from London to the Lake District. Its not a big book but it does good food for thought and gets BO debates rocking.
Respects
NR

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
For those in the Uk interested in the bugging out north concept, I wonder if I could ask you to take the time to read a copy of John Christophers bugging out novel Death of Grass ( No blade of grass). It gives a bloody well thought out fictional attempt to bugging out from London to the Lake District. Its not a big book but it does good food for thought and gets BO debates rocking.
Respects
NR

Just in case our cousins over the pond go looking for it and find it for sale in excess of $20 don't give up. A well known (.uk) "rain-forest" web-site has them for just under £6 English Pounds.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by WatchRider
SNIPwards the Cheviots or Pennines.

Go for a 4x4 van, Ivecom, Ford and Merc do one, you can make your van a mobile retreat, alternatively uyou could pick up one of those grey imports Mitsubishi 4x4 micro campers, they are based on the Shogun engine and chassis, anpother option is a LONG 4x4 like a Landy 110 that you could put a roof tent on and a kitchen on the back door. Any KNOWN survivalists are assured a safe place to rest awhile here if TSHTF. the Canal network pegs out at Ripon if your heading up north, odd really cos you can in theory travel from Ripon in Ny Yorks to the Black Sea but cant get to Newcastle

Yes I've considered a Lannie TUM/110 but they tend to be too big, heavy and a bit of a gas guzzler. I'll be using it to commute about in so don't want a cumbersome beast ideally.
That said, I've lived out of one before in the forces so there are merits of course.
Good cargo capacity but I'm gunning for a smaller 4x4 like a suzuki Vitara. They make pretty good offroaders. A bit too small to live out of though.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Yes I've considered a Lannie TUM/110 but they tend to be too big, heavy and a bit of a gas guzzler. I'll be using it to commute about in so don't want a cumbersome beast ideally.
That said, I've lived out of one before in the forces so there are merits of course.
Good cargo capacity but I'm gunning for a smaller 4x4 like a suzuki Vitara. They make pretty good offroaders. A bit too small to live out of though.

Y'know I prefer the Jimny cos of the large amount of off road goodies available, but in sedgefield last night was a gathering of expedition 4x4s and among them was this rather neat Vitara 1.6. it had an over length roof rack fitted IE it ran from the back edge of the car to well over the bonnet, must have been 2 meters long. It had two extra vertical support tubes going down from the corners and through the wings, It was carrying a Maglioni roof tent on it. other bits were bull bar, tow bar with jerry can carrier on it, steel wheels, etc very nice piece of kit, Spare wheel was on the bonnet LR style. So theres potential in Vitaras.
NR

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
My first retreat is exactly 16.2 miles from my home. I am on the extreme northern end of my city and have a relative that lives 16.2 miles further north of me. We have two safe rooms on this site, one above ground and one below ground. There are only three main roads that travel north so that is troublesome-luckily one is not paved and is not heavily traveled on. However, we seldom have enough supplies to last the four of us for more than a month so hopefully we could hunt for food - if anything was still alive. Worst case scenario: my wife and I could hike to this location if we had to.

My secondary site is 65 miles northwest of my home - more relatives -and they live in the middle of nowhere.

If chaos erupts the last place I will want to be is in a metroplis. It would be a nightmare with gangs, etc. taking over and the police would be virtually helpless.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join