It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far out do you plan to bug out?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
Ok, say you live in suburbia and you plan to bugout in the rural areas during sitX.... Guess what! It's more dangerous out there, those country folks are loaded to the hilt and they're not going to be happy seeing you use their land or water, they'll be watching and waiting 4 ya. So your best bet is to make some friends out in those areas and plan 4 sitX with them.

Thats why those with enough brain cells and take survivalism seriously are relocating to small communities well in advance of Sit X or TEOTWAWKI, They wont be " outsiders" when the crap hits the impellor. The only reason you should face bugging out of #city is if you happen to be there on business WTSHTF, the serious survivaliast not the armchair internet survivalists are getting out of Dodge right now.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by imitator
Ok, say you live in suburbia and you plan to bugout in the rural areas during sitX.... Guess what! It's more dangerous out there, those country folks are loaded to the hilt and they're not going to be happy seeing you use their land or water, they'll be watching and waiting 4 ya. So your best bet is to make some friends out in those areas and plan 4 sitX with them.

Thats why those with enough brain cells and take survivalism seriously are relocating to small communities well in advance of Sit X or TEOTWAWKI, They wont be " outsiders" when the crap hits the impellor. The only reason you should face bugging out of #city is if you happen to be there on business WTSHTF, the serious survivaliast not the armchair internet survivalists are getting out of Dodge right now.

My thoughts exactly.
I'm through with city living now, even towns I'm wary of.
As we speak I'm looking for decent places to rent in small towns and the like close to the wilderness.
Befriending the locals is key, otherwise you are a stranger and being a stranger is not a good thing in SITX.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Just my .02 on the matter. I have no bug-out routes or plans. I will go where ever is safest for my family and I and I will travel there via the safest route. The point is that making all of these plans is a waste of time as there is no way of knowing a.) what SitX is going to be, b.) How people will react to it, c.) How safety or military forces will respond to it and d.) or how it will affect your ability to travel.

If Sit X is severe and changes society forever, I suspect that I will bug-out just far enough South to not freeze to death in the winter - provided I am able and nuclear fallout doesn't impede my progress. See what I mean?

Totally disagree with you.

You do know what the most common situations are. If your family is all in different places, without some agreed upon plans or meeting points NO ONE is going to the same place.

I'll giv e you an example. My family are all in different places during the day. I work in an office tower in the core, my children go to school nearby. My husband is a tradesman so he is every where all the time.

Cell phones will probably be blocked or jammed and so unuseful. So you will not be coordinating that way.

In any situation, I am likely to be herded into a specific areas because I am in a core office tower. My children are also likely to be herded into a specific areas in their schools.

All four of me and the kids are also likely to be evacuated by other parties.

In a really bad case during the day and in the core, the core is likely to be shut down and maybe cordoned off.

My husband needs to know where to find us. We have to decide who will get children. Where we will meet. If some of us are evacuated, where we will be able to find the unevacuated person/people.

You need a plan of next neighbourhood, next city/village/reeve/county, next state/province and area, and who they are likely to go to in that area.

You may not be able to prepare everything, but thinking that everyone is going to be contactable and be able to read your mind isn't sensible.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ill be heading somewhere safe. The high mountains of Colorado. Plenty of food and clean water when sit x happens.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
What is the general opinion of a largely unihabited, wooded island on a very large lake? It seems that it would give you separation and something of a buffer from the mainland, as well as an early-warning system fom most man-made threats.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Do you have a way to get on it. Can you fish? Does it freeze over?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My Plan-B is to make it out of the Yorkshire hills if the folk of Manchester/Leeds looks like theyre on the move, and head NE by MTB via canal towpath maps...it may be 150 miles, but I reckon doable in 3 days

The best bit is, is that the more social-economic tales of distress that are aired on the news, the less crazy my family think I am

[edit on 26-3-2009 by citizen smith]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Do you have a way to get on it. Can you fish? Does it freeze over?

I'm just asking generally... not specifically.

But I would imagine that anyone planning such an escape would have 24hr access to a boat and survial knowledge that includes fishing skills and equipment.

As for the freeze-over, other than the need for cold-weather protection/shelter, would this matter much? People ice-fish for fun all over the world... it wouldn't be too hard to muster up the energy to do it for sustinence.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I know what you mean there.. I work in the suburbs....would hate to be stuck there, my EDC is equipt for just that, alternative routes home, map ect....

WTSHTF even those in a small community will head for local lakes and rivers ect. I can see people using those areas because of the land resources, so my plan is to make as many friends I can around in those places. Even with all that, things can eventually get ugly in the sticks.

So what does a survivalist do..... research county land owners. I have plans to go even further away if need be, at least 100's of miles away from any major city, I've scouted and checked online for vast amounts of land to see who owns them. Most are corporate or big city dwellers who just want a big piece of the pie, they probably would never live or show up in those area's, and even if if they did the chances of them finding us is very slim in such a vast area.

So there ya go everyone....that's how far I plan to bug out if need be.

Research county land owners, visit the area, talk to locals ect. That's one key to survival X for me.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by imitator]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
My Plan-B is to make it out of the Yorkshire hills if the folk of Manchester/Leeds looks like theyre on the move, and head NE by MTB via canal towpath maps...it may be 150 miles, but I reckon doable in 3 days

The best bit is, is that the more social-economic tales of distress that are aired on the news, the less crazy my family think I am

Dont discount the Pennine way, the sheeple dont like the high moortop road to this area, you can easily get up here in 18 hours walking the top of the pennines, then if you got into my AOO I could always pick you up and bring you into this area

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Dont discount the Pennine way, the sheeple dont like the high moortop road to this area

A good reason why not that route, visibility in open terrain and exposure to the pennine elements...its wild up there if youre not ready for it...and I aint...yet.

Most of the canal routes are overgrown on at least one bank offering plenty of hidey spots...including a moored raft in a tunnel. If it gets too hairy for narrowboaters, will offer my services as an outrider-scout to ride a few miles ahead and spot/secure locks in return for mobile-shelter security

not forgetting the possibility for an 'aquisition' of a boat

if you got into my AOO I could always pick you up and bring you into this area

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm going to break this down as a potential scenario to allow it to make more sense to me. I'll use real-world locations and such to get this as accurate as possible.

I'm a little freaky about posting my person location, but I'll say it's a major city in the midwest.

8:42 AM - First reports of a major nuclear attack on NYC come across either through personal email, corporate email, or internet post.

8:45 AM - I leave work and attempt to head home, while attempting to contact my wife via cell phone. I normally have a 13 minute commute home using two commonly used interstates/bypass. I can't say what it would be on Day SitX. For my scenario, I'll say I can successfully get home within 30 minutes.

9:15 AM - Continue monitoring any news feeds I can get to see if this is a isolated incident or wide attack. For this scenario (to make it a wide scale SitX), I'll say wide attack.

By this time, granted my city hasn't been attacked, I would expect that most of the interstates out of the city are jammed/impassable/etc.

I can only assume at this point that the best thing I can do is to stay in my house. The best chance at survival at that point is to stay where the majority of my resources are. My bug out plan is to wait and see. It's the downfall of the suburbinites.

Of course, if we're talking alien invasion, I need to including going in my pants about 8:43 AM.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I don't understand this whole bugging out deal. I understand getting away from immediate and present danger, but what after that? Do you all plan on living the hermit lifestyle for the rest of your lives?

Some people say they want to go it alone, and be as far away from civilization and other people as possible. Why would you want to be all alone? Wouldn't it be better to have others like you around?

In my opinion, bugging out is only useful if crap totally hit the fan. And if it did....why bug out? You would have nothing left to come back to. How would you reproduce if you're totally isolated? Do you plan on returning to these cities and towns you despise so much and try to rebuild them? I'd rather go out with a bang rather than slowly fizzle out, which will eventually happen.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by f4rwest

You are totally right. Star.

We're all going to die someday. I hope to do that living in the comfort I can provide to the best of my ability.

It's all a fantasy of the Mad Max kind. Are you really living just because you survived?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Interesting take.

did anyone before TV and cooking indoors really LIVE? I mean really, was it WORTH it?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Interesting take.

did anyone before TV and cooking indoors really LIVE? I mean really, was it WORTH it?

I reckon you have it the wrong way around...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
We're staying put. Too much stuff and little ones to get caught outside. With enough warning we might be able to head a few hundred miles to the north where we have some family, but likely not.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by f4rwest
Do you plan on returning to these cities and towns you despise so much and try to rebuild them? I'd rather go out with a bang rather than slowly fizzle out, which will eventually happen.

I don't plan to line up and march to no FEMA camp ect.

WTSHTF in my area, returning is not the plan, neither being alone. We will be far away making few travel companions along the journey. After a period time has passed... we'll probably look like Amazon native tribes of the Rainforest, becoming head hunters and such.

Doesn't that sound much more better than being in a FEMA camp or lined up for some death pit.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by imitator]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Back in my mad cycling days (not actually that long ago) I took a long holiday around England. On roads, 100 miles with a full pack is definitely doable in a day. I did try a bit a canal path on the third day (somewhere in Wiltshire/Berkshire), that wasn't so good, even so I reckon 50 miles a day is a fair assessment. One point to remember though, a lot of the "paths" are just trodden down foliage, lots of hidden thorns and on the more civilised areas plenty of youth-detritus, broken glass etc.

One thing I learnt pretty early on, that Roman roads are pretty easy to spot and a good way of travelling a la crow but remember, where they saw a hill they went literally straight over it! Strong calves essential.

Seems like NR has it right again, it may be bleak and windswept, but if that keeps human interference to minimum then it's possibly they way to go.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I ain't goin nowhere, man. I'm staying right here in the big city.

I can see the crazytrain hurtling down the tracks, been watching it come for a long time now, been watching that light on the front of the tra since when it was a tiny little pinprick of light and most people said "what light?" But I knew even then the train was coming. Barreling down the tracks, the breakman skunk-drunk, the engineer a crazy old coot and still I sat there just watching.

And I kept watching and watching like the proverbial deer in some sort of pre-verbal head-light (light from the head), when I should have moved off the tracks long ago I just sat there, watchin' that ole crazy train come ratlling down, bearing down on us with boxcars full of howling lunatics and furious thunder, getting louder and louder.

And now, yes, indeed the train is so big and so in-yer-face that only the densist of the dense deny its coming, the def-dumb-an-blind; everyone else with half a brain is scattering off the tracks like rats scuttling off a ghoulship with tattered rags for sails, and yes, I just keep sitting here on the tracks marveling at that big ole thing comin atcha, cow-catcher made of blood-slicked thighbones tied together with barbed wire wrapped a million times 'round like a madman's monkeyfist, and still I'm just marveling at the thing, just taking my time, watching the crazytain, checking out the rusty bolts popping off and the cars wobbling side-to-side in a deranged processional.

And yes, I'm just as calm as if I was sitting on my porch on a lazy summer afternoon with a big tall sweaty glass of lemonade and all the time in the world, rather than 15 seconds to midnight and I can see the crazed rolling yellow corneas of the engineer, cracked and bloodshot as he howls at the moon and the shrill shriek of the whistle bursts eardrums for miles around. I shoulda been out of here hours, days, years, millenia before and yet I'm still here in the track where I've always been, just watching, marveling at this great hulking *thing* and the impact awaiting...

Bug out? Why bother? I bugged out years ago, man. I'm gonna let that train catch me flat smak in the chest and laugh like a lunatic all the way down to the ninth circle of hell.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join