It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How far out do you plan to bug out?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
We hear a lot about bug out routes, bug out locations and the likes.

Say you have to leave home, i was curious as to how far you plan for when thinking about this?

Do you stay within a few miles of your home? Say 5 miles?

Do you have bug out locations further afield?

I have maps of my local area, i think they go out about 20-30 miles, but i have maps of neighbouring area too. Theres a good chance that if you've thought of a bug out location, there will be other survivalists that have the same idea....and maybe the same location in mind.

You may have to shift further afield if you are planning to go it alone.

Even though i have lived in my area all my life, i love taking the map out and finding out about areas that i forgot existed. The only way you are going to do this is to get out there and look.

What looks a great location of the map, might be swampland when you get there. Always worth testing the area first, rather than relying on the map makers to give you all the details.

CX.

[edit on 25/3/09 by CX]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just my .02 on the matter. I have no bug-out routes or plans. I will go where ever is safest for my family and I and I will travel there via the safest route. The point is that making all of these plans is a waste of time as there is no way of knowing a.) what SitX is going to be, b.) How people will react to it, c.) How safety or military forces will respond to it and d.) or how it will affect your ability to travel.

If Sit X is severe and changes society forever, I suspect that I will bug-out just far enough South to not freeze to death in the winter - provided I am able and nuclear fallout doesn't impede my progress. See what I mean?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I am currently over 40 miles from the nearest signal light, over 70 miles from the nearest interstate and I plan on bugging out even further if need be. Up until about 6 years ago, I had to drive almost 20 miles to the nearest grocery store. The nearest walmart is over 75 miles away. The way I see it, you cant be far enough from the masses.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

...And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains....
Revelation 6:15

But really, how are you going to hide? You can't. There is nowhere you can go that they can't find you. People on their own, outside and few in numbers are easier to pick off.

If we let things get that bad then we've already lost. Either stand on our legs as free men and fight this thing head on or crawl into a hole and wait to die.

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Hmmm.....i kinda see your point, but to say that planning these things is a waste of time is definately a matter of opinion.

Lets take my home location. Even at a very basic level of planning, ie; which general direction to head, i would want to know in advance which area is passible and which is not.

As i said before, i know from even walking the local areas that there are some parts of my locality that are total marshland, and others areas that are fine for walking through and setting up camp for however long i may need.

This is obviously a last resort, my home is going to be the comfiest and safest option for as long as possible. However just for discusions sakes, and as we look into the more extreme scenarios here.

As for not knowing where military/authorities are going to be, if it got that bad, i am at least confident that i would know my area better than they do.

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
We hear a lot about bug out routes, bug out locations and the likes.

Say you have to leave home, i was curious as to how far you plan for when thinking about this?

Do you stay within a few miles of your home? Say 5 miles?

Do you have bug out locations further afield?

I have maps of my local area, i think they go out about 20-30 miles, but i have maps of neighbouring area too. Theres a good chance that if you've thought of a bug out location, there will be other survivalists that have the same idea....and maybe the same location in mind.

You may have to shift further afield if you are planning to go it alone.

Even though i have lived in my area all my life, i love taking the map out and finding out about areas that i forgot existed. The only way you are going to do this is to get out there and look.

What looks a great location of the map, might be swampland when you get there. Always worth testing the area first, rather than relying on the map makers to give you all the details.

CX.

[edit on 25/3/09 by CX]

I chose various locations some close some quite far away, all in different directions, it allows to to adapt my reactions to the current situation, not putting all my eggs etc etc

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Don't answer questions such as these. It should be obvious why.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Just my .02 on the matter. I have no bug-out routes or plans. I will go where ever is safest for my family and I and I will travel there via the safest route. The point is that making all of these plans is a waste of time as there is no way of knowing a.) what SitX is going to be, b.) How people will react to it, c.) How safety or military forces will respond to it and d.) or how it will affect your ability to travel.

If Sit X is severe and changes society forever, I suspect that I will bug-out just far enough South to not freeze to death in the winter - provided I am able and nuclear fallout doesn't impede my progress. See what I mean?

Aha so you are just going to go with the mass stampede of sheeple whenever the diaster strikes, You appear to be the only guy I know who thinks planning to go south if a storm is likely to come from the north, go west if a fire storm is likely to come from the east . The wise survivalists have fully researched as much as possible the normal socially accepted reaction will be to any given event, most also know what the local authorities emergency planning system is. And all serious survivalists have planned various bug out routes using various methods of ttransport away from the mass sheeple on the roads. But what the heck you wish to be laid back, thats fine with us, leaves us with one less family to worry about.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smack

...And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains....

But really, how are you going to hide? You can't. There is nowhere you can go that they can't find you. People on their own, outside and few in numbers are easier to pick off.

If we let things get that bad then we've already lost. Either stand on our legs as free men and fight this thing head on or crawl into a hole and wait to die.

Your assuming that book is real and its contents valid, assumptions get people dead.

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
Don't answer questions such as these. It should be obvious why.

Lol i know what you are getting at, but rest assured i'm just asking for the purposes of general chit chat on a survival forum.

I wouldn't ask for the fine details, i don't want to know where anyone is bugging out to. I have no idea where most of the people here live so i couldn't even make a guess.

I learnt a long time ago, that if you want to keep certain things quiet from certain people, you don't even discuss it.

The choice is with the member here and i fully respect that.

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

You rode all the way over here on your high horse to tell me that?
LOL!

Ignore the first part then. What is your argument?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Ok, say you live in suburbia and you plan to bugout in the rural areas during sitX.... Guess what! It's more dangerous out there, those country folks are loaded to the hilt and they're not going to be happy seeing you use their land or water, they'll be watching and waiting 4 ya. So your best bet is to make some friends out in those areas and plan 4 sitX with them.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
living in nor cal (soon to transfer to southern Oregon) im sure traveling into the sticks won't be too difficult.

it really depends on how bad things will get; obviously avoiding urban areas will be a first

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by imitator
Ok, say you live in suburbia and you plan to bugout in the rural areas during sitX.... Guess what! It's more dangerous out there, those country folks are loaded to the hilt and they're not going to be happy seeing you use their land or water, they'll be watching and waiting 4 ya. So your best bet is to make some friends out in those areas and plan 4 sitX with them.

I mentioned this on another thread. I would much rather explain myself to the barrel of a 12-bore than to a mob of hungry, angry, scared, irrational city-locusts.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Just a thought... I'm not even sure if I agree with it, but, here goes:

If the PTB still exist when SitX goes down... agree or not, I'm probably going to side with the PTB. They are going to be the closest thing to stability going. I think that instead of bugging out, I'll side with the ones who have the power. There is strength in numbers and there is certainly strength in... strength.

I guess that would be being a bit of a sell out and siding with "the man." But, when it's dog eat dog, I'm siding with the wolf.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Far from being the wolf, I think you've find the PTB are more like the hive-mind. Do as we do or else!
I know I'll be heading away from populated areas. Villages nearby with farms and the like are about as densely populated as I'd like to see. At least til the craziness dies down. Then maybe time to take a peek at the crazy groove in the city fringes.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smack

The biggest success story for the Vietnamese in their war with the US
was the tunnels, I do not plan on a lot of tunnels, but I do plan on having
enough material between me and the sky to block thermal and fallout.

No need for AC or heating will be nice too.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Like Eisenhower said plans are general worthless, but planning
is invaluable. ( because it makes you think )

Your plan may not fit what life throws at you, but pieces and concepts
can be morphed to adapt to the altered scenario.

This brings up the point to think modular in your planning if you can.

Try to make it so your plan can adapt if "surprises" show up because
murphy is bored, and we are all his targets for his law.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal

Originally posted by imitator

I mentioned this on another thread. I would much rather explain myself to the barrel of a 12-bore than to a mob of hungry, angry, scared, irrational city-locusts.

Yeah, just stay off their land unless you have no choice.

Try to use the roads once your out rural and only get off them if you
are planning to hide for awhile.

Try not to cut across land, and if you must stay away from the
buildings and stay the hell out of sight and or travel by night.

If you see any green lights near the buildings with your optics
they likely have night vision and you'd be better off going around.

Some states like colorado are TOTALLY sold out of .50 cal and that
gun does HIDEOUS damage and has a 2,200+ meter range.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
I know I'll be heading away from populated areas. Villages nearby with farms and the like are about as densely populated as I'd like to see. At least til the craziness dies down. Then maybe time to take a peek at the crazy groove in the city fringes.
[edit on 26-3-2009 by WatchRider]

I do not think I will be going back near a city.

Unless something like cold fusion comes along or some radical
world altering good news, the current way we live is not sustainable.

Go to google video and watch Crude Awakening, its an eye opener.

*crossing fingers for cold fusion*

LOL

In the meantime I am preparing as if history is repeating itself
yet once again as it has many times before.

Good Luck to you all !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join