It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Video** British PM Savaged At EU Meet: 'You Have Run Out Of Our Money!'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Amazing speech. Quite powerful. I always liked the way the Brits argued in government. They show some real spirit. A shame we don't have any orators like that man. What's more shameful is that we don't have anyone outside of media personalities putting up a good fight against the Obama Administration.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Manwin

What's more shameful is that we don't have anyone outside of media personalities putting up a good fight against the Obama Administration.

I'm glad you like it but you have some real fighters in the U.S.

What about Ron Paul, what about Alex Jones on Infowars? What about Dennis Kucinich, Issa and Manzullo pwning Kashkari over the bailout? Epic, epic battles, easily as good as this.

www.youtube.com...

This guy is an exception. Lots of British MP's are wet blankets.

[edit on 13f20096pmSat, 28 Mar 2009 12:01:26 -050026 by HiAliens]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

And I'd love to see Jon Stewart with some good targets. The guy who called over-mortgaged people "losers" chickened out of going on The Daily Show, and quite right too, Stewart would have made mincemeat of him.

And whenever I think of Jon Stewart I always think of the Jewish character from Family Guy saying, "NOOO!!! Hitler's back! Save Jon Stewart, he's our most important Jew!"

Quite right too.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Over a million .1 views on this speech on your tube video by MEP Daniel Hannan on web!

There was no link yesterday from the official Conservative party website to the internet sensation of the week: a speech by the 37-year-old Tory MEP Daniel Hannan denouncing Gordon Brown as a "Brezhnev-era apparatchik".

By yesterday the speech - which Brown had to sit through after his own address to the European parliament - had passed 1.1m views.

For Hannan, it was a triumph. For David Cameron, a headache - proof that not all parts of his party have changed.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
An Awsesome interview with Daniel Hannan from 03-27-2009...
He is talking about how angry people are that the governemnts will never do what is good for the people!

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think its a bit rich to say the least for Daniel Hannan to talk about the government not doing whats best for the people, or how us Brits are worse off under Labour, considering the fact that he stands for the Conservative party. Good old Maggy Thatcher (Conservative PM)destroyed communities all over the UK back in the 80's and they still suffer to this day, she deindustrialized the country, sold off loads of government owned companies at a stupidly low price that we depend on as people, and helped to create a big divide between the rich and poor.

Half the reason the people in this country don't bother to stand up against the government anymore is thanks to how the Conservatives broke our spirits and ground down our unions. Remember the days when we actually tried to stand up against the government pushing us about?

en.wikipedia.org...(1984%E2%80%931985)

We now no longer have a coal mining industry, those mining towns had their one source of income shut down, the mines built over to prevent them ever being reopened, and we now import all our coal from abroad to fire up our coal powered plants.

How about we talk about the housing problems in this country, we used to have good council houses that could be rented to people who truly needed them, it ensured that some of the poorer working class in this country would have somewhere to live and they wouldn't get ripped off by land lords. We now have stupidly long waiting lists for any council house, and the only ones that remain are generally in run down estates. We now have rich snobs renting out flats and houses for high prices getting richer off the poor, because nobody can afford to buy houses thanks to the recession. Hmm I wonder what went wrong?...

And I quote from Wikipedia - en.wikipedia.org...

'Council housing declined sharply in the Thatcher era, as the Conservative government encouraged aspiration toward home ownership[8] under the Right to buy scheme.

Laws restricted councils' investment in housing, preventing them subsidizing it from local taxes, but more importantly, council tenants were given the "right to buy" in the 1980s Housing Act offering a discount price on their council house. The Right to Buy Scheme allowed tenants to buy their home with a discount of up to 60% of the market price for houses and 70% for flats, depending on the time they had lived there. Councils were prevented from reinvesting the proceeds of these sales in new housing, and the total available stock, particularly of more desirable homes, declined.'

We the people used to own our energy companies, public transport, and the water company. Not anymore, thanks to the Conservative party, they were all sold off to their rich friends at low prices. Now we see all these companies making hundreds of millions of pounds a year in profit, and all the people rich enough to afford shares in these companies get nice big dividends as a result. Don't like it? well you can freeze to death in winter, wash in the dirt, and start a new healthy raw food diet. Its interesting to note how the French government bought up a big chunk of our electricity board, its funny how they can generate profit from us, but we're not allowed to? Oh yes, we're paying sky high prices for all of our electricity and gas now, and its creating above average inflation.

Gordon Brown is nothing short of an idiot, I won't be voting for Labour in the next general election. However I don't blame Labour as much as I blame the Conservative party for throwing this country to the wolves, and we are paying the price for those selfish actions made back in the 80's still to this day. A recession like we experienced is unavoidable, but other European countries who protected their own economies and businesses properly are not suffering as much as we are now.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Pure hokum, you slag off the tories yet you're probably not old enough to know of the shambles the UK was in prior to Maggie getting the country back on its feet again.

Guess who the Tories took power from? Callaghans Labour failures who broke the back of the country and left it in economic ruins.
The welfare state was failing and people were in near uproar Big Jim couldn't even see the gravity of the situation.

Where you get the info on the mines being built unusable is a mystery as all they require is the water pumping out and some minor demolitions (no major problem).
Coal doesn't just disappear after a mine has been closed. It's a national resource for crying out loud. It is not rocket science to do this. Having worked in oil and gas I can tell you this sort of thing is childs play for the experts.

In the big picture you conserve resources. Use another countries reserves while you CONSERVE your own. This is what Iran does with its oil.
British coal is good quality but time will show when we need to get more coal we can re-open our own mines again

Same with the Falklands, that was a lot to do with conserving mineral and food resources. National Pride and defense came 2nd on that one in the grand scheme.

You watch the oil price go up and the falkland oil companies stocks and shares, they won't be going down I can assure you

I recall Brown selling off 60% of our gold at rock-bottom prices, a national resource gone tits up there for you.

The Tories successfully brought us out of the UKs 1990s recession.
Handing over a golden legacy to blairs gang.
I don't like what some of Thatchers policies were but I do agree with them from a long-term strategy viewpoint.
Guess what?
The tories will have to try and bring us out of the new shambles the Labour idiots have landed on us. AGAIN!
History will judge Brown poorly, the writing is on the wall for him.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm old enough to read the history books, I can remember what actions the Conservative party took against us back then, and I'm also old enough to talk to people who lived through that time period. I don’t deny for a second what a state the country was in when Thatcher’s government got into power back in 1979, better leadership of this country was obviously required. We didn’t need someone to come in and turn the UK into a giant jumble sale, and cut back on essential funding like education, health care, and housing, or take a personal grudge against our industries and shut most of it down. I guess that’s all ok if you can afford to go private and live away from all the consequences, but as for the majority of this country it wasn’t in our best interest.

All of those companies that were owned by the people should have been kept and run properly as a public service, not a business. It’s not out of the question to expect a public run company to be well run just like the French are able to do. What good old Maggie kindly done was take from the poor and give to the rich, so they may forever earn a healthy profit by selling us human necessities like heating/energy and drinking water. Public transport is a rip off now because it’s a run as a business, rather then being a service to help to promote the infrastructure in this country.

For the record I was born in 1984 to a working class family. I grew up under a Tory government, and my childhood memories are of living in a city that had 2 good hospitals shut down (due to the NHS cut backs that fitted perfectly with Tory thinking), no development what so ever, dirty streets, run down parks, and my father who had to wait a year in agony on the NHS waiting list for an operation. It's all about cut backs with the Tories.

When New Labour got into power, although my city is far from perfect, it’s a lot nicer and more developed now. And that’s the same for a lot of other places in this country like Manchester, Newcastle and Liverpool. I’m not a big fan of new Labour, but I believe in credit where its due.

You talk about 'the big picture' as if that is exactly what Maggie was thinking back in the 80's to shut down all those mines and industry to preserve natural resources. They were shut down because they didn't conform to Thatcher’s thinking, you try and tell me and all of those mining towns that were destroyed by these political actions how she had good intentions for the public by doing so?

You talk about a golden legacy in the 90's?

www.independent.co.uk...

This is the backwards Tory way of doing things

www.walesonline.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Why is it that not a single American politician gave Bush or Obama the same devastating tongue-lashing?

Prime Minister, I see you’ve already mastered the essential craft of the European politician, namely the ability to say one thing in this chamber and a very different thing to your home electorate. You’ve spoken here about free trade, and amen to that. Who would have guessed, listening to you just now, that you were the author of the phrase ‘British jobs for British workers’ and that you have subsidised, where you have not nationalised outright, swathes of our economy, including the car industry and many of the banks? Perhaps you would have more moral authority in this house if your actions matched your words? Perhaps you would have more legitimacy in the councils of the world if the United Kingdom were not going into this recession in the worst condition of any G20 country?

The truth, Prime Minister, is that you have run out of our money. The country as a whole is now in negative equity. Every British child is born owing around £20,000. Servicing the interest on that debt is going to cost more than educating the child. Now, once again today you try to spread the blame around; you spoke about an international recession, international crisis. Well, it is true that we are all sailing together into the squalls. But not every vessel in the convoy is in the same dilapidated condition. Other ships used the good years to caulk their hulls and clear their rigging; in other words – to pay off debt. But you used the good years to raise borrowing yet further. As a consequence, under your captaincy, our hull is pressed deep into the water line under the accumulated weight of your debt We are now running a deficit that touches 10% of GDP, an almost unbelievable figure. More than Pakistan, more than Hungary; countries where the IMF have already been called in. Now, it’s not that you’re not apologising; like everyone else I have long accepted that you’re pathologically incapable of accepting responsibility for these things. It’s that you’re carrying on, wilfully worsening our situation, wantonly spending what little we have left. Last year - in the last twelve months – a hundred thousand private sector jobs have been lost and yet you created thirty thousand public sector jobs.

Prime Minister, you cannot carry on for ever squeezing the productive bit of the economy in order to fund an unprecedented engorgement of the unproductive bit. You cannot spend your way out of recession or borrow your way out of debt. And when you repeat, in that wooden and perfunctory way, that our situation is better than others, that we’re ‘well-placed to weather the storm’, I have to tell you that you sound like a Brezhnev-era apparatchik giving the party line. You know, and we know, and you know that we know that it’s nonsense! Everyone knows that Britain is worse off than any other country as we go into these hard times. The IMF has said so; the European Commission has said so; the markets have said so – which is why our currency has devalued by thirty percent. And soon the voters too will get their chance to say so. They can see what the markets have already seen: that you are the devalued Prime Minister of a devalued government.

www.usnews.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
For once, Gordon Brown had to sit and listen...
And Daniel Hannan is staggered by the huge global reaction to his home truths about the PM

Most of us, I suspect, have a thing or two that we'd like to say to Gordon Brown. But few of us get the opportunity. On Tuesday, I was one of those few. The Prime Minister was in the European Parliament, trying to persuade the rest of the EU to react to the financial crisis in the way that he has, viz by fire-hosing cash at it. I was one of the eight MEPs who got to respond, and was given three minutes to make my point.

According to convention, Mr Brown had to remain in his place while I spoke. Right, I thought, for once you're going to have to listen to what people are saying. The country was in negative equity, I said; the weight of his debt would press down on our children yet unborn and unbegot, I said; surely he could see that his bail-outs and nationalisations had failed, I said; we should stop throwing good money after bad, I said.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join