It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea positions missile on launch pad: report

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Japan does not have any right to declare war on any country. Since WW2 they have remained a defense-force developed by the US.

Japan has the 5th largest defense force in the world with an annual budget of 50 billion.

However, as a defense force, a legitimate attack on their land, or waters, would give them authority to retaliate. A rocket flying over their territory gives them permission to shoot it down and North Korea has responded that an interception would lead to war.

It's probably all talk but this situation gives a window of opportunity for war between both countries they have been talking about for so long.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JRSB
It's probably all talk but this situation gives a window of opportunity for war between both countries they have been talking about for so long.

If you think that Japan has been talking about going to war with anyone, you've been mislead - to put it mildly.

I can't recall hearing anyone of any importance in this country advocating war with North Korea. I don't think that was even an option when the hostage issue was front and center. If you've got something that says otherwise, I'd love to read it.

No one here wants it. Japan wants NK to deal with the hostage issue (return them or their remains), abandon the offensive weapons program (esp the nukes), and get on with life. That's it. That's all it's been. Japan is ready to defend - but it's going to take a direct missile strike on a major city with high casualties to get the public to start considering giving the government permission to launch a counterstrike.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Update:

Seoul Calls North Korea's Rocket Launch "Serious Provocation" - 45 minutes ago

SEOUL (AFP)--South Korea Thursday described North Korea's planned rocket launch as a "serious challenge and provocation" to regional security, as a U.S. official said the missile has been placed on a launch pad.

Defense ministry spokesman Won Tae-jae declined to confirm the U.S. report, saying Seoul wouldn't comment on intelligence matters.

But he said the communist state is moving forward with preparations for the launch, which would constitute "a serious challenge and provocation" to the security of the Korean peninsula and Northeast Asia.

"North Korea's long-range rocket launch clearly violates U.N. Security council Resolution 1718. We strongly urge it to stop this immediately," Won said.

(Rest of the article: easybourse.com)

Seoul to Dispatch Advanced Warship to Monitor NK Rocket - 53 minutes ago

South Korea plans to dispatch an advanced destroyer to the East Sea as North Korea finalizes steps to launch a rocket despite international warnings, Yonhap News Agency reported quoting officials Thursday.

"The Sejong the Great destroyer will conduct monitoring activities in the East Sea," an official was quoted as saying, referring to the 7,600-ton vessel that detects and tracks targets hundreds of kilometers away.

(Rest of the article: koreatimes.co.kr)

North Korea Prepares For Missile Launch - 22 minutes ago

North Korea is making final preparations for the launch of what is thought to be a long-range ballistic missile capable of hitting America.

(Rest of the article: news.sky.com)

Clinton warns North Korea over potential rocket launch - 16 minutes ago

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned North Korea that a move to fire a rocket for any purpose would be viewed as a "provocative action" that could trigger consequences in six-party talks aimed at disarming — but also aiding — the impoverished communist nation.

(Rest of the article: cbc.ca)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Here is a new post from today 26th march ...

Reuters AlertNet

The South Korean daily Chosun Ilbo quoted a diplomatic source saying the North could technically fire the missile, which has the range to hit U.S. territory, by the weekend. This is earlier than the April 4-8 timeframe Pyongyang announced for what it says is the launch of a communications satellite.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
As RFBurns stated on Page 1, nothing major is going to come of this. Remember when that whole "little" thing between Israel and Gaza was going on oh a few months ago? I remember quite a few posters here screaming "This is the end! Save yourselves, save yourselves!" It's all sensationalism particularly by the OP, and the MSM to make people worried. The missile will most-likely fail.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
You cannot compare an actual military strike, which killed more than a thousand people, with this sort of chest thumping. This by comparison is wet salad.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DocEmrick

youre right. the North is just provocking the situation by violating its treaties (building more nukes and testing ICBM missles). The north needs attention so they provoke other nations, in order to gain funds. they are like a five year old screaming for a candy bar. we and especialy south korea or japan have every right to shoot this thing down its a blantent threat of increasing warfare capability coupled with an unstable nuclear nation. no one will shoot this down though.... i can gaurentee america, south korea, and japan all have many spies in the north... the missile, if it gets of the ground, will fail due to "technical failures" this thing WILL be sabatoged so we dont risk starting a war by shooting it down or allow the north to saber rattle and destabilize the region. this will be a repeate of 1998's failed test

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Eurisko...The only acceptable brightness in my nations future will be one in which there are no secrets kept from the populous. No matter what happens, we will be under a shadow till then.

Disclosure will be December 21, 2012.
We will be very busy 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Both our nations will have very advanced technology that will
cause the economy to BOOM like never before.
Imagine a HUGE orbiting space station with artifical gravity.
We will be traveling to and mining the asteroid belt which is
just past Mars.

As outlandish as this might seem - this could be a reality, some day. I have pondered how absolutely F'd our economy is, as well as the rest of the worlds, and if the UFO enigma / advanced craft play in to this somehow. I could only image how much of a kick our economies would get if these systems were disclosed. I think it is pretty much agreed on we have SOMETHING that can fly very fast, and via unconventional means..

ON TOPIC: While NK has every right to experiment with rocketry, my fear is they misinterpret a failure during launch as sabotage / attack. That would be very hard to disprove. The odds of a western power attacking their missile are slim to none.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
There's nothing to be concerned about.
Hillary will re-visit The Dear Leader and grovel to him and arrange stimulus dollars for Communist nK. President Barry Soetoro will add nK to the leaders/countries he plans to visit (Iran, Hamas, Hugo Chavez, etc).
Look for President Soetoro to sign trade agreements and to open an embassy in Pyong Yang. Kim Jung IL, and his late father have achieved "The Workers' Paradise" that ROPE (Ried, Obama, Pelosi, Emmanual) are directing the US toward. After all they share the same ideology.
Look for a breakaway of relations with ROK (in favor of Communist nK), just like the Democrats' greatest hero, Jimmy Carter, did when he closed the embassy in Nationalist China.
There's a lot of high treason headed this way, and the congress will never consider impeaching President Soetoro any more than the lap dog Supreme Court will consider reviewing his birth place (Kenya) and his country of citizenship (Indonesia).

Bottom line - Our jobs and futures are going not just to India and Communist China, but also to Communist nK.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If NK need to launch a 'satellite', why can't they do it over their friends in China's territory? Why does it have to go over the Pacific?

As a previous poster noted, Japan has a defense force. If the missile flies over their territory they should have the right to treat it as a hostile act and shoot it down in an act of defense. Could the USA just position the airborne laser in Japanese airspace as a deterrent? Just tell NK that this area is off limits, you shoot it over here and we'll shoot it down...your call...

If this is as monstrously dangerous as some seem to think I would wager that a contingency plan is already in place. NK know this, so it's either all chest pounding and 'official' response for sensationalizing the whole thing, or we're being led into something. Scary either way, but I'm thinking that whatever happens has long been scripted.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Things just seem different this time.
North Korea said it will go to War over this..

Im SURE I am wrong here but, tell me, if ever, North Korea actually said they will go to War over something direct threat.

Not like, "if you shut down our nuclear plants we will go to war with you".. I mean direct threats such as you touch out missile we will retaliate.

I honestly think they are serious this time. If not, I will come back in an apologize the moment the peices are crashing to the ground because they WILL shoot it down.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'm ready, give me freedom or death, or I will fight untill I get back both. nI'm not scared of either. And I don't think N. Korea has the stones to really fire on anything.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
If NK need to launch a 'satellite', why can't they do it over their friends in China's territory? Why does it have to go over the OCEAN Pacific?

You REALLY need an answer for this question?
some tips: rotation of planet, population in the ground in a possible fail attempt.
damn rocket science

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm sitting at one of NK's most likely targets were it to decide to test the US. I'm not concerned. That damn volcano needs to lighten up though.

NK is a creature of habit. They want money so we see the usual temper tantrum.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
99% of NK's troops will defect the second they cross the DMZ.
They won't even bother to surrender to our troops, they will be surrendering to the first tree that they see. “please yanky put me in POW camp where I get three meals a day, electricity, and I can finally find out what a TV is...” Believe me if I were in their shoes I would defect too.

Oh BTW those who keep saying that this will cause a war...
We are already at war with NK, we never stopped being at war with NK, the president can send troops in without congressional approval because an active state of war already exists with NK. At the moment we are at a cease-fire with NK, but we are still at war.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Really? Wow.. that's quite a broad and kind of racist statement for someone who knows nothing about the North Korean culture or peoples.
So you're saying, thousands and thousands of soldiers who have grown up to only know military, warfare, and loyalty to their country and people are going to just defect? Even if they wanted to defect, do you think the officers are going to just let them?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

First off, there is nothing racial about that remark, its about the country in which they live not the oriental race in particular. Thanks for pulling out the race card though, rather then discuss what I am really talking about. I am sure that you are an expert on North Korea having lived there your whole life however, right?

Now as to the conditions in which they live, I know about as much as has been leaked by the people who have been there as the rest of the world does. No electricity after 8pm in the cities, little to no food, imprisonment for not going with the party line, imprisonment of family members, etc. The fact that they have to imprison their athletes, who have traveled outside the country, just to keep them from telling others what the outside world is like should tell you how badly those folks want out of there. People risk their lives trying to escape all the time. You think that a soldier, who is given the chance to defect is not going to take it? Of course he is, so would you or I. As far as officers go, something tells me they would be the first troops shot in a conflict, most likely from behind.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

“please yanky put me in POW camp where I get three meals a day, electricity, and I can finally find out what a TV is...”

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to come off as a personal attack. I just see it as somewhat racist; your tone (lack of definite and indefinite articles) indicate you're playing off the Asian stereotype that they can't speak English well.

I know their quality of life isn't very good in respect to many others. However to insinuate that North Korean people don't know what a television is a little absurd. Kim Jong Il is obsessed with movies. Incidentally, there is a North Korean streaming station on the web that broadcasts military songs (it's actually pretty cool).

Lastly, when loyalty to your country is 'bred' into you from birth, I imagine it's very difficult to defect. Especially when your officers are walking behind you with guns into battle.

[edit on 3.26.2009 by Avarus]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

If that came off as being racial, it was not my intention, so I apologize for it.

As to things such as TV, maybe a few elite people there have one, but I guarantee that they cannot receive outside broadcasts. They would be unable to control their population once the people there saw how far below the standard of world living that they exist at. This is why, as I mentioned above, athletes who have returned from events outside the country have been jailed to keep them from telling others what they saw. Pyongyang is less of a functional city, then it is a static model of one to be presented to forign visitors, and only the most elite of citizens get to live there. The vast majority of people live in slums or on dirt farms. The best thing that could happen to the people of North Korea would be another coutry ousting their current regieme.

An excellant National Geographic film on North Korea:
Inside-Undercover in North Korea

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Once again people are getting worked up about nothing, while politicians do what they do best - talk and make empty threats.

For one thing, in this case the most important thing - North Korea has a right to launch a rocket and is not in violation of any international laws by doing so. The US, Japan, or anyone else do not have a right to interfere in North Korea's space program, even if they perceive it to be as something other than a space program. This is why Russia and China support North Korea's right to launch the rocket, even if they don't approve of these actions. No one honestly believes that Japan will be aiming the rocket at anyone, or that it will have any warhead.

Why do they want to launch a missile? To somehow appear relevant? To be on the front pages of the news again? To actually develop their own space program and requisite technology? To test the developed systems? Maybe all of the above. Who really cares? It is not like North Korea is a legitimate threat to anyone, given that the US will be all over the tiny country the first chance it gets.

Second - Japan or US on behalf of Japan have a right to shoot the missile down if the missile is above its territory or is a clear threat to it. This does not mean that either US or Japan would be capable of shooting it down. It might be a good test of the ABM system, but given slow progress in its development there is a chance it will fail, which no doubt will be embarassing.

This all a political game - one that has been going on for quite some time now. North Korea wants to beat its chest. US and Japan want an excuse to keep the people scared of something, and possibly an excuse to continue funding the ABM system. It is really no big deal, much less an actual threat. Meanwhile the confused hordes are running for the cellar and making up absurd armagedon theories - WWIII WE ARE DOOOOMED.

All North Korea wants is attention. And luckily for it - that is exactly what it is getting. The more attention it gets - the more reasons it has to keep doing these dumb stunts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join