It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to block avatar image.....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
What was it that SkepticOverlord said about some posters being Spineless?

Although his post relates to peoples 'alerts' to mods regarding posts that need not be reported, I think it can translate into this Avatar dilemma also. So far I have seen two types of posts in this thread alone....

1. Christians condemning 'evil looking' avatars because it does not fit with their ideology or belief system,

2. Overly sensitive people complaining about certain avatars that convey a sensual or shocking image.

Grow up people, seriously. There are many different people here from many walks of life and many different belief systems. You should have known or at least suspected this when you signed up to this site. The mods do a good job moderating posts and I have no doubt they also review avatars with the exact same enthusiasm for keeping ATS clean and 'by the book'. Quite frankly, if the avatar does not violate the T&C and you still do not like it, block the images or move to another site that follows your own ideologies and beliefs more closely.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I tend to psychoanalyze avatars too. Usually you can tell quite a bit about a member from the avatar they choose.

I don't find anyone's avatar offensive but the sight of a gun or other phallic-substitute weapon in an avatar tells me I probably won't be seeing eye to eye with that person. A macho-looking or superhero avatar almost always belongs to a male, normally someone young enough to still be driven mainly by testosterone.

Fantasy avatars, wise old wizards, fairy maidens and the like are self-explanatory - people living out their chosen personas in their avatars. You may be sure that in all these cases the person behind the avatar is the exact psychological opposite of the person they are trying to portray.

Taoist symbols, pyramids, crystals, angels and the rest of the New Age toybox also need little interpretation. Galaxies and other astronomical phenomena could indicate either a space cadet or someone genuinely interested in and knowledgeable about astronomy.

More generally, a person's avatar tells you what's important or meaningful to them. These are some of the best avatars - and often some of the most intriguing.

One of my favourite avatars on the site is in this category. It belongs to ngchunter. It looks like rubbish, frankly - until you realize what it is, make the connection with the member's name and then, all of a sudden - RESPECT.

[edit on 7/4/09 by Astyanax]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Is it my avatar? I like Tentikles Avatar... I'm not too keen on the majority of new age style ones, I just think they look cheesy. Never seen anything offensive on here though.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I mentioned this on another thread.

But I find the animated avatars very difficult as I cannot read the post because my eyes keep moving back to the movement.
So my solution is to ignore any posts by members with animated avatars!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

If personal stars could be awarded in this forum, you would have won yourself one!

Aww heck, in my mind at least I gave you one...

As I am part of the over-bearing occult affiliation here on ATS (and a with a major goth fetish), I seriously hope my avatar in no way shape or form upsets anyone.

(I personally love tentikles' picture... and the cthulhu mona lisa one as well)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Those of you who do not like Tentickles avatar, don't click here...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
I don't want to call anyone out, so I wont, but....

There is a thread that was started today and I cannot even look at it because the thread starter's avatar just grosses me out. I was really interested in the thread because it would directly affect me and I have an opinion on the subject, etc., etc. But I can't even look at it.

There is a long economic thread that I like to read and sometimes I run across this really gross / disturbing avatar and it just ruins it for me. I try not to look, you know, but my eyes are just drawn to it and then I'm all kinds of grossed out. I've thought about U2Uing the person and telling them how i HATE their avatar , but what would I do if someone did that to me? I'd probably put up an even grosser one than that just for spite! LOL

God I'm such a baby, huh? LOL

Don't worry you're not alone. I have ran across some avatars that are either completely disturbing or utterly depressing. The image envokes a response which may be the point but I too get distracted when posting because my eyes continue to go to that image.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soothsayer

Cheers man, sometimes this place makes me think of an old Suicidal Tendencies song and the lyric...

"and if I offended you, oh I'm sorry
but maybe you need to be offended
so here's my apology
and one more thing
.... you"

There's some really harsh stuff going on in the world, a lot of it we talk about on here, I find it incredulous that people can be offended by avatars.

P.S. To the guy that posted the Genki-genki - cheers man...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Hmmm, and your avatar is a female holding a gun with a cheesy grin, what does that mean?

I am not sure how much effort many people put into an avatar. I don't think the avatar represents more than a small portion of the person.

edit Smiley face added

[edit on 16-7-2009 by poet1b]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Log out,when your logged out you will not see any avatar's,login to post.
If you don't post much it should not be much of a bother.

Zelong.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
There was one avatar that really creeped me out, and I let the person know. I apologized, but told the person I had to tell the truth. He did then change his avatar.

I don't like the avatars with motion either, too distracting.

The avatars that are of a different sex are also feel a bit dishonest.

I remember being on this one thread, and this poster with one of these very sexy female avatars, with only the essentials covered, announces that she is a fifteen year old girl, to justify one of her opinions, and she was doing ok in her postings, but I thought, wow, and an avatar like that. Then one of the other posters, a regular here on ATS, asks her if her dad knew about her X rated avatar. I can't remember if she is still around, but that was funny, and well deserved.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
As far as the animated avatars, all you have to do is press the escape key. It stops the animations on all animated avatars. Not sure if it works in IE, but it works in Firefox.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Slash

Thanks Slash, that works.

I like many of the animated avatars, but there are times that I wish I could turn them off, now I know how.

Kudos to you.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Hmmm, and your avatar is a female holding a gun with a cheesy grin, what does that mean?

Oh goody, a quiz!

It means

1. I am the female in question.

2. I have a very unsuitable crush on the female in question.

3. I am male, and 'still young enough to be driven by testosterone'.

4. I am a lover or ironies and contradictions.

5. All of the above.

Pick one!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
IMHO! this has to be the most stupid thing I have ever read here!

By this is only my opinion since I'm an art lover, and I love to see all the beautiful, clever & interesting and creative avatars here on ATS!

For example: I love Tentickles avatar! - could it be disturbing for some? *shrug*

IMO! ART SHOULD BE DISTURBING AND THOUGHT PROVOKING!

OK! rant over! - hope I didn't offend to many with this rant?

Well! I'm off for the forum browsing & my daily dose of browsing provoking ATS avatar art!

I LOVE ALL THE ATS AVATARS! - I WANT TO SEE MORE!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I love you ... maybe.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

schrodingers dog is a great example of some great avatars here!

Always something new and beautiful & always an artistic creative avatar!

Man! I love your avatars!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by toraylin
One of my favorite avatars, happens to be one of the freakiest in my mind. It's the animated .gif avatar of the boy who opens his mouth and it stretches open and down around another picture of the boys head which pops out of it, and starts all over again.

I've spent a few moments gazing at it. It can become hypnotic!!

haha.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by toraylin]

I like that one too; very mesmerizing in a twisted sort of way.

There are some animated ones that make me feel queazy and I have to cover them.

It's easier to recognize whose post I am reading by seeing their avatars even if only out of the corner of my eye.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
the one with the exorcist girl freaks me out a little.....

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Psynarchist

Yeah! all the art of Daikichi Amano is amazing!

Ahhh! squid or slippery eels - anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join