It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to block avatar image.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Before I read this thread, I saw that avatar a few times, and passed it by without too much of a second thought.

Now, like the morbid curiosity that surrounds a car wreck I can't stop looking at it.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
just adding my thoughts, seeing as the subject has been raised.... I don't understand why so many people use pictures of weapons e.g. guns as theirs. I find them quite off putting to keep seeing when trying to read threads. it gives out an aggressive image to me.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The only avatars that I have any kind of problem with are the ones I associate with specific drivel that the particular user has posted.

I've had negative "gut reactions" to a few, but that has never made me cast judgment on the individual. I read what they've posted. Sometimes it backs up that gut reaction, other times I stand corrected. The latter has happened enough times for me to realize that you just can't always rely on your first impulse. And why should you? if you think your intuition is foolproof, you're living a romanticized fallacy, another fear/hate/faith based belief system.

Trust your instincts, but realize you don't know everything and aren't going to learn it in this lifetime. Question why such imagery causes that reaction. Talk, listen to, and exchange ideas with someone who's avatar frightens you/grosses you out. That's what this place is for. Now you're denying ignorance.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Such hypersensitive reactions to... and intuition based on...
such superficial representations of an individual is at best myopically sophomoric.

There is higher ground for those who chose... to evolve/grow-up,
as the old proverbial idiom simply goes...

"Don't judge a book by it's cover".

[edit on 27-3-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
the first avatar i had was from the anime movie end of Evangellion, where the female entity is risen above the earth and holding a glowing orb. I was asked to remove it cause the chick was naked (even tho she didn't have nipples or anything just smooth skin, i even made sure to smudge the area where the offensive items may have been to be extra cautious). I was a little disappointed that i had to remove it, but ho hum.

I love the tentacle avatar, i think it's really artistic. Just my thoughts.

cherry

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I've got low bandwith on and I can still see everyones avatars.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
That "Yes it is", "no it isn't" avatar (budone I think) used to distract me from from reading but I toughed it out because the posts were always good and the joke never got old because it summed up internet arguing so well. I wanted to steal the avatar for another board but alas, it was too big.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Did anyone think of not logging in?

Guess what? If you don't log in, you can't see anyone's avatar.

But that would negate one of the benefits that ATS has to offer. Especially when so many members have talent like what you see in avvy's like questioningall.

That IMO, that wins the avvy of the week.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

That's true, you don't see avatars if your not logged in.

But when you read a thread when your not logged in and want to post a reply, when you do log in, you don't get taken back to where you were in the thread and have to find the thread and read it all over again to return to where you were.

Not unless there is an easier way that I don't know about?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

Whoh.

Ok now what did you say?

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by uplander

I just can't stand the avatar with the two women and that filthy gross disgusting tentacle sticking out of ones mouth.

I'm just so disgusted by it I've used a post it note on my computer screen so I don't have to see it...even though sometimes it slips by.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by silo13]

That is the one that I can't look at. I cover it up or move on quickly, but that doesn't stop the initial sight of it followed by the horrible feeling of disgust.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm not going to call anyone out or direct this at any one person. But,
if you don't like some peoples avatars then you have 3 options.
1. go to the ATS store and turn on the low bandwith option
2. turn on an ad blocker
3. suck it up and move on.

Now i can understand not wanting to see the avatar "IF" that avatar violated the T&C of this site. But, just because you don't like someones avatar doesn't mean the info in their post is any less important.

reply to post by yeahright

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the website(s).

and with no way of knowing if someone is using an ad blocker or not unless they admit to it. that section of the T&C is kinda popintless

just sayin....

Originally posted by Tentickles
Is it because of me?

Yes it was you,.... you trouble maker you, how dare you put that avatar up

Originally posted by Solomons
I think some people need to stop being so sensitive about pictures..ive seen all the ones people are talking about..i mean really,there are more worthwhile things to complain about.

Yep yep couldn't agree more. where are some peoples priorities these days. they would rather get upset about a picture on an internet forum then do something about the corrupt bloodsuckers trying to take over the world.

reply to post by Salt of the Earth

and you know that everything that christians believe is true because?? Oh thats right you have that book called a bible that is a mix and match set of stories controlled by the catholic church. See this arguement could carry on forever so I think its best not to derail the thread with who's beliefs are true and who's beliefs are based on lies.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Just re read my question and even I had a mind blank there for a minute.

Okay, for example, I read this thread NOT LOGGED IN.
I saw your reply and LOGGED IN to write this.

I then was taken to the FORUM INDEX and NOT BACK TO THIS THREAD.

I either have to...... go to MY ATS to find this thread and reply or find it the forum index amongst all the other threads.

OR put another way......

Is there an easy way to read threads not LOGGED IN and when you want to reply, to LOG IN and be taken back to the spot in the thread instead of back to the forum index???

I hope that's easier.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

OK, mind blank.

I'm so there.

J/k

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Now i can understand not wanting to see the avatar "IF" that avatar violated the T&C of this site. But, just because you don't like someones avatar doesn't mean the info in their post is any less important.

Mercenary I know your reply wasn't directed at me in particular but I'd just like to explain in general, that I meant no offense to anyones avatar, I love them all.

My reason for asking my questions wasn't because of offensive avatars but the answer in this thread would also have answered my questions, albeit for a different reason.

On really rushed days, to be able to turn avi's off to read, reply and get out ASAP would be really helpful.

Guess I should have started another thread to ask but thought I'd use this one as the answer would have been the same.

Apologies for going off topic.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I have never had an issue with anyones avatar. I have seen all kinds too

Avatars, to me, are a sort of window into the mind of each member.

Some people choose avatars that represnt their religion, or one that they find humorous, or one that they think looks cool, and sometimes they opt to not have one at all.

I tend to recognize members by their avatar first than their username. So when someone changes their avatar it throws me off.

I can certainly understand why certain avatars would offend or bother others, however sending that person a u2u and complaining is some what of a waste of time assuming that persons avatar is within the boundaries of T&C. If not then it needs to be reported to the mods and staff.

Anyway, you can "shut off" avatars by going to the ATS store and selecting the low bandwidth mode.No avatars can be seen in low bandwidth mode.

Peace and love!

GST

[edit on 28-3-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I just figured out how you can get back to thread if you are not logged in. Open a new tab in your browser and go to ATS and login. Now go back to your original tab and hit the refresh button. Voila, the page reloads as it would if you were logged in.

For others that find certain avatars offensive, I recommend using the ALERT button at the bottom of the post and explain the reason, then the staff will look into it. You can also use the Suggestions/Complaints Form to post a complaint.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Such hypersensitive reactions to... and intuition based on...
such superficial representations of an individual is at best myopically sophomoric.

Couldn've said it better meself ...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007

and you know that everything that christians believe is true because?? Oh thats right you have that book called a bible that is a mix and match set of stories controlled by the catholic church. See this arguement could carry on forever so I think its best not to derail the thread with who's beliefs are true and who's beliefs are based on lies.

I made the remark that I found it sad that the majorty of the avatars here glorify the occult, violence and paganism and sensuality.

Somebody said the occult was great, that Christianity was the Middle Ages.

I just said that, no, the occult was the Middle Ages.

Which it is. Superstition, secret sorceries and magic to gain control over others, to get wealth, to contact evil spirits (demons) in order to get special knowledge and help to cause harm to one's enemies, help in deceiving and fooling people, in telling lies, in pulling hte wool over people's eyes, in bewitching, deceiving, seducing, and tricking people, luring them into a web of destruction. That's the occult, and that is what the secret societies all do, with their skull and bones and worship of death and destruction and their brotherhood of evil and death.

As to the Catholic church (which I blipped your quote out by mistake on that), it has nothing to do with the Bible. The Bible existed before the Catholic church, and the Catholic church has done nothing through the centuries except try to kill the Bible and if it couldn't kill it to distort it and bury it under a pile of counterfeits.

Since you brought this up, I hope if anybody gets deleted for being off-topic it is you, and not me. You are the one bringing in the Catholic church into this discussion, not me. All I did was remark that I found it sad so many of the avatars all glorify the Dark Side.

Why anybody would have a problem with that I don't know.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

OH wonderful. This problem totally solved.
You are a genius.
Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join