It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to block avatar image.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I was wondering if there is a way to block the image in the avatar, as some of them i would prefer not to see?

Can a person do this, i know we can block adverts etc.....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I don't think so.

If someone chooses to use an avatar that is within the terms of the T&Cs, we all have to see it. Unless you want to block images in your browser settings (which might work), but you'd lose all the other images on the internet, as well.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You can "Turn on low-bandwidth mode" in your ATS Store which will do away with all avatar images.

Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Now I am curious. What is the reason you don't want to see certain avatars? Do you find them offensive in some way?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
You know, I have thought this exact same thing many times. Sometimes I am shocked by the avatars and I really just leave the whole thread instead of having to look at something offensive to me.

Just my opinion.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by uplander]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thx guys, i worked out to block the address of avaters in my firewall. But if you can do it in ats store, i will give that a go.

It is just a preference thing.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I was wondering if there is a way to block the image in the avatar, as some of them i would prefer not to see?

Can a person do this, i know we can block adverts etc.....

If you use the Ablock extension for Firefox, you can block out individual avatars.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

i know we can block adverts etc.....

From the Terms and Conditions-

4b) Ad Blockers: As AboveTopSecret.com is provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the website(s).

Just sayin'.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I don't want to call anyone out, so I wont, but....

There is a thread that was started today and I cannot even look at it because the thread starter's avatar just grosses me out. I was really interested in the thread because it would directly affect me and I have an opinion on the subject, etc., etc. But I can't even look at it.

There is a long economic thread that I like to read and sometimes I run across this really gross / disturbing avatar and it just ruins it for me. I try not to look, you know, but my eyes are just drawn to it and then I'm all kinds of grossed out. I've thought about U2Uing the person and telling them how i HATE their avatar , but what would I do if someone did that to me? I'd probably put up an even grosser one than that just for spite! LOL

God I'm such a baby, huh? LOL

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by uplander

Oh come on!
You can't do that and not tell us which one it is!

I'll go first.

I just can't stand the avatar with the two women and that filthy gross disgusting tentacle sticking out of ones mouth.

I'm just so disgusted by it I've used a post it note on my computer screen so I don't have to see it...even though sometimes it slips by.

In no way does my opinion of the avatar reflect on the content of this posters threads and opinions, but, all in all - EWWW EW EW EW!!!

There!

EDIT: I ust went and looked at that long thread (I think) you were talking about.
The Avatar I get grossed out over is there too!
LOL
Could it be the same one????

[edit on 25-3-2009 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
ooooh yuo can turn off avatars? Cool, I didn't know that. Not that anything offends me (quite litterally
appart from gore) It's just I think they're a distraction. You're trying to read a post, and to the side of it all you've got is bright colours and swirly patterns. Yep, they can be really cool and creative and expressive. Butthey can also be a distraction sometimes. Kudos for having an off switch.

*goes to ATS store*

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by uplander

Oh come on!
You can't do that and not tell us which one it is!

I'll go first.

I just can't stand the avatar with the two women and that filthy gross disgusting tentacle sticking out of ones mouth.

That is exactly the one and only one that came to my mind as well. I will add that I generally like and respect the posts made by that person, but yeah, it is disturbing, that tongue!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Is it because of me?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Not for nothing but your avy is one of my favorites.

But then again I'm Greek and we loves our ochtapus.

To the OP, as it has already been mentioned going "low bandwidth" is going to be your best bet. If you are bothered by some of the animated gif avies pressing the escape key apparently makes them stop on Windows.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Is it because of me?

Yes Honey, it's you. I'm so sorry!! I absolutely adore your posts and think you are so very smart but my GOD!!! I feel like I'm going to vomit when I see it.

I think it bothers me so much because it looks so real. Sorry!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Is it because of me?

LOL!

Your cool. Interesting how certain images do effect people. I don't think it's gross, or sickening, but it really did make an impression.

It kind of reminds me of the original Alien movie when the "thing" came out of her stomach!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I found it offesive too, and mentioned that to the person one day. Being part lesbian, the image is disturbing.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I dont care for the avatar with the little boy knelling down, african boy who loks like he is 1 day from deaths door,( Baseball ...something)

this person too starts good threads , but....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I think some people need to stop being so sensitive about pictures..ive seen all the ones people are talking about..i mean really,there are more worthwhile things to complain about.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I just wanted to second what someone said above, there is an add-on in firefox that lets you block individual pictures... I don't personally use firefox, so I don't know the add-on name off hand, but it is out there and can be used to do what your looking to do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join