It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The pope shouldn't be an expert on condoms or aids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The comment the pope recently made while visiting cameroon, africa seemed very strange

"HIV/AIDS cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which can even increase the problem"

It strikes me as being odd for him to say this in, of all places, one of the most HIV/AIDS infected countries in Africa. He is a religious figure in one of the strongest religions in the world, catholic. People listen to what he says. If he tells people that condoms actually "increase" the risk of AIDS/HIV, some might take it to the extreme that they won't use condoms for sex anymore, only further increasing the epidemic.

I find it odd that he wouldnt make this comment in america, or in his home of italy... but in one of the most aids-infected regions of the world.

Is the pope trying to get rid of more africans by saying condoms will not help?

The pope does not "or at least isnt supposed to" have sex, so how would he personally know the effects of condoms? Because he speaks the word of god? Did god tell him condoms won't help millions of africans who suffer with AIDS/HIV? I highly doubt that.

HIV/AIDS infected people can only have sex through the use of condoms. Even though it doesnt always work.. it certainly works for many, which is better than nothing at all. For a person of great power to state that condoms don't help... would mean we could see a huge increase in AIDS/HIV, only furthering the epidemic in Africa, as well as other parts of the world.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wile I agree with pretty much everything you said, I would like to add something.
Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to derail your thread...

I'm still on the fence regarding the whole reptilian thing, but if anybody is a reptilian, it's the new pope. Just look at him, just the image of him emanates evil.

But more to the point.. Doesn't this go along with the rest of the theme of "mainstream" christianity, what with abstinence-only sex education and an overall suppression of science and knowledge in general?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yes, he is trying to preach abstinence... yet he is saying this to people who might not have intentionally had sex. Many of the AIDS/HIV infected in africa contracted the disease through rape.

I mean really he is telling these people that because they have the disease, they can never have sex again, which for many and most people would be devastating. To never have sex again is not a thought most people want to think about... and the only way these people can protect the ones they love from contracting AIDS/HIV is through the use of condoms.

It doesnt always help... but in a place that is so devastated by the disease, it certainly does help many.

If they chose to no longer use condoms, it would only increase the problem.

I also think the pope is a strange man.. could be a reptilian!

I mean this IS the same man who blessed a parking lot of 47 ferraris (or the mobsters that can afford to drive them, more likely)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

It's just another example of how outdated and non relevant the Catholic Church is in todays times. Personally I didn't batter an eyelid when this was all over the news. I've come to expect it... Is it any wonder people are opting out of the church in favor of agnosticism by the droves?

IRM

Edit to add:
Nice pout BTW!

[edit on 25/3/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The day I take advice about sex, from a celebate nazi in a dress, will be a cold day in hell indeed.

What he said about condoms is blatently irresponible, and will probably lead to more deaths and more infections. Bravo Poop, you're a real class act.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
The day I take advice about sex, from a celebate nazi in a dress, will be a cold day in hell indeed.

What he said about condoms is blatently irresponible, and will probably lead to more deaths and more infections. Bravo Poop, you're a real class act.

Haha. I couldnt agree with you more. Dont forget that enormous hat on his head, probably hiding his tentacles.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12

I mean really he is telling these people that because they have the disease, they can never have sex again, which for many and most people would be devastating. To never have sex again is not a thought most people want to think about... and the only way these people can protect the ones they love from contracting AIDS/HIV is through the use of condoms.

Someone should make a dating website exclusively for people with AIDS..:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The pope does not "or at least isnt supposed to" have sex, so how would he personally know the effects of condoms?

That’s like saying a man shouldn’t be a gynecologist because he doesn’t have a vagina.

Though I might not agree with the Popes stand on condoms, I just can’t see how this kind of reasoning carries any validation whatsoever either.

peace

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Haha. I couldnt agree with you more. Dont forget that enormous hat on his head, probably hiding his tentacles.

Hahaha.

I hope this doesn't sound too risque (mods please forgive) but I have a bachelor's in cultural anthropology and I distinctly remember learning all about the African view of semen, regardless of whether or not they were tribal cultures. There is a distinct cultural view that semen makes you powerful and it cures many ailments so that is why so many Africans choose not to use condoms.
This, again, can easily be fixed with more programs dealing with safe sex and the spread of HIV to stop the disinfo.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If you think the pope practices abstinence you must be fooled easily. As many cover ups that the Vatican does to protect the child predators in the clergy is astounding.

Now on the presumption that he is in fact abstinent, why would the preclude him from garnering knowledge about things such as condoms. While I do not agree with what he said, he is just preaching the same old crap they have been preaching for years.

As far as an exclusive HIV/AIDS dating site...if 2 people have these infections and they procreate, does the offspring have the infection as well? I would assume so.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I agree, the Pope is an expert and fairy tales and bigotted rhetoric, probably stemming from his days as a Hitler Youth member.

He's not acquired the Q in qualified to speak of these issues. People in Africa desperatly need to be educated on how to combat and prevent this disease. Telling them to keep multiplying like rabbits without any protection is simply stupid to any nation, ESPECIALLY one as poor, un-educated and easily influenced as the nations of Africa.

It's simply ridiculous that of all places to push Christian rhetoric and ideals that they would do it where the majority of human suffering takes place.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

The pope does not "or at least isnt supposed to" have sex, so how would he personally know the effects of condoms?

Has nothing to do with anything.
Just because he does not have sex does not mean he does not consult experts on the subject.

I am not saying I agree with him. I am not Catholic and think the whole Pope thing is a crock and only see him as some man who gets to dress up in ridiculous clothing acting like he is God. I see him as no more important then me.
Big sham all of that is, in my opinion.

Im just saying that his position and lack of sex does not mean he can not voice an opinion based on what he has been told.

I mean, you are not in government, but I bet you have a pretty good grasp on how they are screwing things up. And I bet you voice your opinion on what they are doing wrong. See how that works

[edit on 25-3-2009 by inked up]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
yes, well it does have something to do with the matter when hes not getting his info right from whatever he is looking up or whoever he is asking about condoms.

so regardless, he needs to not talk about things he doesnt know and mis-inform people who are suffering from AIDS.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Groups have been passing out condoms for decades, has it made much of an impact on AIDS? What the pope was referring to was promiscuous and premarital sex as being a cause of the spread of AIDS.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
Groups have been passing out condoms for decades, has it made much of an impact on AIDS? What the pope was referring to was promiscuous and premarital sex as being a cause of the spread of AIDS.

It's more complicated than that.

What he is doing is applying his belief systems and his own environmental/cultural experiences to a place where the same rules do not always apply.

For example there are high HIV rates among monogamous married women due to the fact that there is extreme gender discrimination and for the most part women cannot say "no" to their unfaithful partners.

They are burdened by many gender inequalities that all but forces them to put themselves at risk (even with their cheating spouse) or be deprived.

There is much more than just saying "abstain".
That country has many issues it needs to resolve.
It is easy to pitch such an idea from a palace in Rome.

Even easier to condemn without a cultural understanding of the people and the problem.

Originally posted by silo13

That’s like saying a man shouldn’t be a gynecologist because he doesn’t have a vagina.

True, but at least Gynecologist is a trained professional in the area of...well that area.
Whatever advice he would give would be based on that knowledge being it is in his field of expertise.

What sort of credentials make the Pope an authority on AIDS, sex, and what is the best thing to do with both situations for a country ravaged by the disease?

Who is he consulting?
Are those opinions religiously biased?

The Pope just has an opinion.

Still, his opinion can cause a major reaction amongst the followers of his church.
If that opinion is controversial and in this case deals with serious matters of life and death then he could potentially be doing more harm than good.

Still it is only his opinion.
Whether anyone believes that to be divine or not is another matter.

People are working on a microbial vaginal cream that may help them avoid infection and I pray that the Pope doesn't hit out about that being wrong too.

- Lee

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   

"HIV/AIDS cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which can even increase the problem"

He's right.

HIV/AIDS can not be overcome through the use of condoms. That's true.

And as far as making the problem worse... I'm not sure why he'd say that except that perhaps the high incidence of condoms breaking and/or slipping off and/or being used incorrectly. People get a false sense of security when using condoms.

he is telling these people that because they have the disease, they can never have sex again, which for many and most people would be devastating.

Sex isn't the most important thing in life. In fact, it's not important at all. And if it's more important to an infected to have sex then to actually be sure of protecting the person he/she supposedly loves, then that person is a selfish B******.

A person with HIV/AIDS basically carrys around a loaded gun with them.
It's best to keep it holstered rather than take it out to play russian roulette
with people that you supposedly love.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
You think they're making some progress, when the vatican announces on their website that it's okay to believe in aliens. But it would be too much of a shift for the pope to relax a bit about birth control? Methinks someobody has their public image priorities screwed up.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

What sort of credentials make the Pope an authority on AIDS, sex, and what is the best thing to do with both situations for a country ravaged by the disease?
Who is he consulting?
Are those opinions religiously biased?

That’s the problem.

The Vatican is the home to the biggest business in the world, arguably also the most powerful.
You can bet your Bible the Pope knows (through consultation with the bet of the best) right down to the last Trojan what condoms would and would not do in overpopulated AIDS infested countries.

Does he impart that knowledge on *us*.

I doubt it.

But does he know, you bet he does.

peace

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I'll play devils advocate here: While the comment is preposterous, I think the church is trying in a confusing manner to discredit safe sex and effectively scaring people out of sex in general. There was recently a Harvard professor who drew this exact conclusion regarding condoms and the church probably felt it an opportune time to jump on that bandwagon. I tend to agree with you that the result is not going to be what the church intended rather, the complete lack of safe sex which is scary considering the epidemic of AIDS in Africa.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thanks for saying that!
I just wanted to add this

new topics

top topics

join