It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Insurers offer to stop charging sick people more

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – The health insurance industry offered Tuesday for the first time to curb its controversial practice of charging higher premiums to people with a history of medical problems. The offer from America's Health Insurance Plans and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association is a potentially significant shift in the debate over reforming the nation's health care system to rein in costs and cover an estimated 48 million uninsured people. It was contained in a letter to key senators.

In the letter, the two insurance industry groups said their members are willing to "phase out the practice of varying premiums based on health status in the individual market" if all Americans are required to get coverage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-3-2009 by grover]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
How white of them.

Besides the (what should be obvious) immorality of charging those suffering more than everybody else... this habit... and the one of dropping people when they become too much of a liability... are among the reasons why we need nationalized health care.

Don't let the right wing boogy men scare you... out of all of the developed nations the United States and South Africa are the only ones with without universal coverage and unless you've missed it... despite claims to the contrary the people in those nations are living longer than we do.

This Oh so generous offer... also highlights the fact that the insurance companies and HMO's are scared this time around... the cards really are stacked against them this time so they are out offering crumbs to placate the masses.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Grover,

I bet they are about to release some pretty damning numbers about their 'gimmick' and how it was that they became the first trillion dollar industry in the world.

I think they just want to be able to say... "Oh. we don't do that anymore."

ghouls, office drones, and bean counters..., all holding to the self-perceived fact that they are 'entitled' to feed off the illness and fear of others.

What had to be said to them long ago was, if you want to sustain this business and make a living you can't profiteer... or you will end up locking yourself out of the gravy train by your own greed.

They wouldn't have listened, but at least they would have learned an object lesson. Now they are just finding new ways to feed off of us....

I guarantee that 'socialized' health-care will still be a cash cow for these people. Essentially reaffirming the fact that money is more important than the well-being of the citizen (unless they are politician celebrities - who are to get it for free - forever.)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I couldn't agree more...

Just wait though... before the day is out this thread will be flooded with naysayers.

I sometimes think that no is the only word they ever learned from their mama's.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I am still totally against socialized medicine. Just look at Medicare and Medicaid to see what government-run healthcare would turn into.

That being said....

Massive regulations need to be put in place with the healthcare industry. I am chronically ill, so I see how crazy things are. The system needs to be overhauled and regulations and protections for patients need to be put in place....maybe some government intervention, but not a total government take-over.

JMO...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Let me get something straight...

I do not want Americans loosing their jobs.

But, when it comes to our health insurance companies, I wish them the worst possible death

They are sucking this country and it's people dry for years and getting away with it...

This sudden change of hearth will not give them my sympathies. I say to hell with them all, time to teach them a lesson they will never, ever forget

new topics

top topics

join