It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could a female ever coach a professional team?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There may be a woman out there, but I have not seen her.
So correct me if I am wrong. But if not, I got a thread then.

Would a woman ever be accepted to coach a professional sports team? Is it not masculine enough to allow a woman to coach? Would she be judged more harshly?
Have we matured enough where we can judge people on ability alone?

Or would professional players have issues being directed by a woman?

What are your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Are you strictly talking about "male only" professional sports?

Or does the WNBA not count?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Sorry, male only sports.

thanks for clarifying.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't see why not. In college sports, are you telling me Pat Summit (Tennesee), or Tara VandeVeer (Stanford) couldn't coach the boys? I think they could...

At the professional level? I don't know, the right team, city, and ownership, I think so...though I'm not totally sure. Not because of a lack of ability, but professional sports are a bastion of the old boy network...

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I don't see it happening. One reason is because I think some athletes wouldn't like taking orders from a woman--who may not be able to do half of what the athlete can do.

A second is, it could be dangerous for her in the locker room. It may be odd, or awkward for a woman to give that after game speech with guys walkin' around necked in the locker room!

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Yeah I don't think it would work. I think it would be difficult for a woman to "push" a man on a professional team, not really having any experience in the understanding of the male physique.
Could happen tho. An owner's daughter or something gets a nod froma figure in public office...who knows? wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world. Maybe some genius woman could do it.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think it's possible but the whole thing would be weird.

I mean having a women in the locker room would be odd. I doubt it would happen.

Also male coaches can help male players. Female coaches can help female players.

It's more of understanding viewpoints. I mean females don't have the same viewpoints as males nore does males have the same viewpoints as females.

Even if the female knows the sport well enough and know about fitness and can coach a team. She would have a hard time coaching a male team.

It also depends on the type of sport. I mean I can see a women coaching a male on like swimming sports. But I don't expect to see a female being a hockey or football coach.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think it's possible but the whole thing would be weird.

I mean having a women in the locker room would be odd. I doubt it would happen.

Also male coaches can help male players. Female coaches can help female players.

It's more of understanding viewpoints. I mean females don't have the same viewpoints as males nore does males have the same viewpoints as females.

Even if the female knows the sport well enough and know about fitness and can coach a team. She would have a hard time coaching a male team.

It also depends on the type of sport. I mean I can see a women coaching a male on like swimming sports. But I don't expect to see a female being a hockey or football coach.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Well, there is a woman named Stephanie Ready who is assistant coach of the National Basketball Development League's Greenville Groove, Canada.

www.nba.com...

new topics

top topics

join