It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

shkval and shkval/e torpedos

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
just recently i was investigatin the kursk accident and came across the 'shkval-torpedoes'. to be honest...i am very amazed by the theories involved in that concept. therefore i was just wondering whether someone could help me to gather some information about them or even give their personal opinion about them.




posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I hope this is of use to you


link

Peace

DJDOHBOY



posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hmm turns out the russians have quite a few high tech weapons up their sleaves. 384km/h.....*dribbles* thats insane.



posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
shkval is a super-cavitation underwater "missile", it also can be armed with nuclear warheads and there is no countermeasures against them.



posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Does anyone know for sure whether or not they have gotten the active seeker head to work on it.

Last I heard was that they were in the development phase for it.



posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Super Cavitating weapons are soon to be the future of underwater warfare. Currently, the US Navy is working on its own version to be placed on the Seawolf and future classes of subs. It will be larger than the MK 48 (thats why the tubes on the Seawolf are larger than 21 inch) self guiding and very deadly. Current delays in production are due to the weapons fuel not being very safe (HINT HINT : KURSK). Expect these to start being tested in the next 5 years.



posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brende
Super Cavitating weapons are soon to be the future of underwater warfare. Currently, the US Navy is working on its own version to be placed on the Seawolf and future classes of subs. It will be larger than the MK 48 (thats why the tubes on the Seawolf are larger than 21 inch) self guiding and very deadly. Current delays in production are due to the weapons fuel not being very safe (HINT HINT : KURSK). Expect these to start being tested in the next 5 years.


I heard that the super cavitation that allows such obscene underwater speeds is caused by a magnetically induced flow that isolates the missile with a boundry layer . But this magnetic field precludes any kind of guidance system????

Also if a subsonar is blind once the sub goes faster than say 20kts how would this torp be selfguiding...unless its FO guided?



posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by psteel
I heard that the super cavitation that allows such obscene underwater speeds is caused by a magnetically induced flow that isolates the missile with a boundry layer . But this magnetic field precludes any kind of guidance system????

Also if a subsonar is blind once the sub goes faster than say 20kts how would this torp be selfguiding...unless its FO guided?


From my understanding, it works by using a thin layer of gas over the missle as a buffer between its self and the water.

During end game I believe it would slow down to seek its target.

One more thing - could this tech be used to make subs cruise at near mach 1 speeds? Imagine that!



posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
One more thing - could this tech be used to make subs cruise at near mach 1 speeds? Imagine that!




60 sec photoshop work


[Edited on 26-4-2004 by titus]



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join