It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What pulls one to Area 51?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I go out there about three times a month. Once I saw some strange lights over what I believe was Area 51 airspace. If I had to bet my life on it, I would say it was probably a flare of some type, but I will never know for sure. To be honest, when I go out there, I rarely look up at the sky anymore. I guess my desire to be around the area is caused by the fact that I can't get close enough to really see what is going on behind those hills. Because of this fact, nobody can say for sure this is what goes on there and this can't go on there and on and on. I enjoy listening to John Lear tell his stories about Area 51. Some of his early photos are fascinating. He tipped off a local TV station in 1985 about the F117 at Groom. I have seen photos of his that date to the early 80's, but then he talks about aliens and underground transportation systems. What should I make of him. He clearly knew about Area 51 before many others. I imagine because of the experiences flying for the CIA or his pilot friends. Some of his stories are truly fascinating, but then some are so out there that I can't even comprehend what he is saying. I have completely enjoyed Peter Merlin's historical account of Area 51. That man is a true researcher. No "bull" with him. He has some great facts and he is so knowledgable about the projects that have been at Groom. Google him and get his books. They really are a piece of our history. I love to read everything I can get my hands on by The Desert Rat. He has a brilliant way of writing about the emotional and psychological aspects Area 51, Black Projects, and UFO's have on people. He can show how similar people hunting the mysterious flying triangle versus a UFO really are. So many people have so many reasons for being interested (obsessed) with Area 51. That truly makes it a special place regardless of what you see or don't see in the sky. I would imagine the majority of the population believes that something extraterrestrial has been at Area 51 or is currently there. Personally, I don't but the possibilities are endless as long as I can't get past the Cammo Dudes. Not many places exist that offer this type of escape from the reality of house payment, credit card bills, etc. etc. etc. I hope they always keep me out! I am sure everybody has their own reason for being interested in Area 51.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by DesertShadow]

[edit on 25-3-2009 by DesertShadow]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DesertShadow

and underground transportation systems. What should I make of him

i have read something about that on here , starting in the 50's somewhere and never stopped if i remember correctly.
you have to do some digging try to find it for you but...sorry...

I am sure everybody has their own reason for being interested in Area 51.

i think it is the fact that something is hid from you, either a hoax or the "naked" truth...what ever you whis to find out..as long as you find out.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by whatshenneping]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
...It reminds me of '69???

Sorry..a nice day in the Park...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The biggest secret about Area 51 is that it was never secret. The CIA drafted an announcement that was presented to news media by the Atomic Energy Commission in 1955, detailing construction of the airfield at Groom Lake. The existence of the base has been repeatedly acknowledged by official sources (through maps, newsletters, and press releases) over the years. Test Site insiders, government officials, military personnel, and the general public have, however, unknowingly conspired to perpetuate the myth that the existence of the base is a closely guarded secret and this has turned Area 51 into a psycho-social phenomenon.

In 1957, the AEC released information that the Groom Lake facility, then known as Watertown, was being used for flight operations involving the Lockheed U-2. Civilian "weather research" served as a cover story for CIA spy pilot training. In November 1959, an AEC spokesman announced: “Sheet metal workers needed at the Groom Lake Project 51 in the Nevada Test Site are constructing a butler-type building” that would be used to “house data reduction equipment for use by Edgerton, Germeshausen, and Grier in an Air Force program.” This was related to radar cross-section testing of the Lockheed A-12, an operational detail that remained classified for several decades.

When the Air Force annexed the Groom Mountains in 1984, closing off 89,000 acres of public land, it fueled speculation about the Groom Lake facility. In an October 1987 article for the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Christopher Beall described Area 51 as “a place with a history of dark rumors and speculation, and a name that has even now become an object of folklore.” This is exactly why Area 51 has so captured the public’s attention.

People love mysteries. The less that is known about Area 51, the more it can be used as a blank slate for the public imagination. “It’s a perfect blackboard on which to write your dreams and your fears,” said Popular Science editor Stuart Brown in a 1997 interview.

The news media has exploited has promoted the idea that Area 51 is an officially “non existent” facility. Print and television reporters have shied away from historic facts in favor of reporting sensationalistic rumors. Just look at the recent example of “UFO Hunters” on The History Channel.

Glenn Campbell suggested that more openness on the part of the Air Force would be helpful. “I think that a lot of the tension surrounding Area 51 would be reduced if the government simply gave the base a name, said they were doing secret projects there and left it at that. It’s the idea of a nameless, nonexistent base that really grabs the public’s attention.”

A message left on an Internet bulletin board asked: “What would happen if the U.S. government opened its doors to us and let us see all that was going on [at Area 51]? Depending on what is there, we’d either be vindicated or disappointed, but we would also rapidly lose interest. What would we focus our attentions on? Where would we go next? The greatest thing about Area 51 is its mystery; otherwise, nobody would care.”
I think this really speaks to the heart of the matter. People just love the mystery of Area 51. Let’s face it, there are classified projects going on all the time at other bases (Edwards, China Lake, Point Mugu, etc.) but you don’t see tourists camped out on the perimeter because there is nothing inherently mysterious about these places.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Nobody talks about the TTR, yet it is nearly as "secret" as Groom Lake. They have had "family day" a few times, but never a public open house that I know of.

The base knows where to find me if they want to give me a tour.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

If you would share some of your TTR photos that would help spread the word. You have my word, you photos will not appear near any aliens or UFO's. Maybe next to the section about storming the cammo dudes at the warning signs or next to the section about sending in an RC plane to take photos!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DesertShadow

And how exactly would sharing my TTR photos spread the word. You google Tonopah Test Range, and you find my photos and info. [The first two hits are wikis.] Seems like a plan to me.

I have the route to the TTR on the website. As you know, I have another website in the works that will be themed on how to go out and research the Nellis range and similar areas. Like the old Visitors Guide that Glenn used to sell, but online and cell-phone friendly. It is ironic that Tom Mahood's old Blue Fire format (text with links for photographs) was great for smartphone surfing.

map

There is a geocache at Golden Arrow. It turned out that these geocaches are a great way to see if the roads are passable. The last visitor to Golden Arrow got snow. I know someone who had a flat out there, so don't drive too close to the mine. I always park far away from these old mines because you don't know how big they are underground. It's unlikely walking would caue a cave in, but I don't know about driving a few tons of vehicle over the excavation.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
How do I get to Groom Lake area from Las Vegas? I am moving out to Vegas in a few weeks for school and would like to take a trip up there.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I-15 North to 93-N. Get gas in Alamo or Ash Springs (R-Place). Turn left on 318. [There is a sign for Rachel.] You will be on this road a very short distance. It goes to a Y intersection. Take the left road, which is route 375. Go though Hancock Summit. Right after going through the summit, you will see a dirt road on the left with a stop sign. [The stop sign is for that road, not the ET Highway.] Take this dirt road, and you will end up at the front gate of Area 51. Do not pass the warning signs. You will not see any infrastructure other than the signs.

Don't do anything stupid.

new topics

top topics

join