It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social network sites 'monitored'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Social network sites 'monitored'

news.bbc.co.uk

Social networking sites like Facebook could be monitored by the UK government under proposals to make them keep details of users' contacts.

The Home Office said it was needed to tackle crime gangs and terrorists who might use the sites, but said it would not keep the content of conversations.

Civil liberties campaigners have called the proposal a "snoopers' charter".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Indeed a snooper's charter. Nothing new, this has been suspected all along. We must be careful to hide our identities online (or will it diminish the fun?) or else the govt may snoop in on us.

My question is how are they going to track gangmembers with this? Sure gangmembers are intelligent enough to hide their true identities when they collaborate online. The govt may get their IP addresses and then find out who it belongs to and then investigate if the person is a gang member. But it seems a long drawn process and the crime may have already been commited before they track such persons down. And what if the person is using a public computer? Like a net cafe or something?

I am quite sure even ATS is monitored by the US and UK govt for reasons that are obvious.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-3-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Why did the people of the UK vote these jokers as their government leaders in the first place?

The UK is like a nanny state right now. Wake up. Seriously... it should be no surprise to you that they have the capabilities to do this.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The idea of monitoring these sites "in order to catch terrorists" is worthless, imo. Those who really want to chat privately, would use encryption like i.e. Simp or something similar, which they can't monitor. Or even use satellite phones, or find other ways of communication. This is a waste of resources and also an invasion of privacy.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

The idea of monitoring these sites "in order to catch terrorists" is worthless, imo. Those who really want to chat privately, would use encryption like i.e. Simp or something similar, which they can't monitor. Or even use satellite phones, or find other ways of communication. This is a waste of resources and also an invasion of privacy.

I agree with this. Serious criminals are using 1024bit encrypted mobile phones and high encryption VPN, VOIP or other easily available technology.

This action is one of those "peace of mind" actions akin to placing metal detectors at the entrances to hotels and shopping malls. Though it has little safety benefit, it makes people aware of an effort (real effort or not) to fight crime.

Also - not all criminals are hardcore. Some are actually regular people with regular social networks before they become involved in crime. It could be mildly beneficial to keep track of this information, but the resources expended to manage this staggering amount of data far outweigh the benefit.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Well, anyone that knows anything knows.
That if people wanted to talk on instant messenger to each other.
Without being spied on, without a central server, encrypted relay chat to each others ip only.
There is software for this.
So these measures they keep trying to introduce are pointless.
And the government knows this.
They keep making these laws, simply to infringe on the non sophisticated people who oppose them politically.
Al Queda type people, would not use facebook

They have members who are software engineers they can make there own software.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Actually Al Queda types DO use Facebook (well according to some) and I am not saying that I agree that social networking sites should be monitored either. Actually the site that is talked about below is "PalTalk?", but I remember seeing a special on 20/20 or some show that featured a stay-at-home mom that posed as a terrorist on facebook and has caught several when they tried to sell her guns
But take a look at this...

www.pcworld.idg.com.au...
Social networks link terrorists

A new breed of cyberterrorists are using online forums to recruit people who support Al-Qaeda, creating global networks of would-be terrorists.
Elizabeth Montalbano (IDG News Service) 08/01/2009 09:17:00

A new breed of terrorists are using online forums to recruit people who align themselves with the mission of Al Qaeda, creating global networks of would-be terrorists who pose a growing threat, a senior cyberterrorist researcher warned this week.

Cyberterrorists are using a series of online forums and at least one social-networking site, PalTalk, to recruit people to their cause, Evan Kohlmann, a senior investigator and private consultant for Global Terror Alert, said at the International Conference on Cyber Security 2009 in New York. Many of these people never actually meet in person, but conspire online to launch both cyberterrorist and physical terrorist attacks such as suicide bombings, he said.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Whats next? Cameras in everybody's bedrooms and bathrooms, just in case you have a criminal over for a night cap?

What will end up happening is the law abiding citizens will continue to be spied on and intimidated, while the real criminals and terrorists simply move on to another mode of communication.

Freedom was never supposed to be safe.

Remember, any freedoms you give up now in the name of security will NEVER be given back to you voluntarily.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X

Originally posted by Hellmutt

I agree with this. Serious criminals are using 1024bit encrypted mobile phones and high encryption VPN, VOIP or other easily available technology.

This action is one of those "peace of mind" actions akin to placing metal detectors at the entrances to hotels and shopping malls. Though it has little safety benefit, it makes people aware of an effort (real effort or not) to fight crime.

Also - not all criminals are hardcore. Some are actually regular people with regular social networks before they become involved in crime. It could be mildly beneficial to keep track of this information, but the resources expended to manage this staggering amount of data far outweigh the benefit.

LOL, exactly. If anyone paid attention to the Kop busters thing, with that ex DEA agent named cooper. He mentioned they used encrypted e-mails.

How it works, is you purchase a blackberry it has nothing but encrypted e-mails. It cannot make calls, it has no mic and no speakers. It can simply type and send encrypted e-mails.

So you buy the package, its never linked to you as a person. The messages you sent, even if decrypted are from 1 random email to another with absolutely no links to any specific person. Additionally, if caught with one of these phones after any set amount of password failures the phone completely wipes itself, but it again even if they get into it, the best they could do is MAYBE retrieve messages if they did insane decryption.

Thats how these people do it in the real world, not on facebook! Get real, they simply say its for terrorists cause 90% of the population is absolutely disgusting IGNORANT to a point that it really makes my damn blood boil. The stupidity is endless, and people gobble it up. FB is another step in a master database of people. More and more we are hearing of cases where courts are trying to get access to peoples accounts for a multitude of insane reasons.

Wake up people, anytime the government says anything is to "stop the terrorists" IMMEDIATELY REPLACE THE WORD TERRORIST WITH CITIZENS! Everyone on this forum as a first step of denying ignorance has to absolutely 100% dispel this ridiculous notion of TERRORISTS, they do not #in exist. You want to see terrorists? Look at wall street, look in the white house and the senate those people are the biggest terrorists this world has ever known. And the only reason they aren't hanging from the gallows in the streets is because they control the most awesome propaganda machine, with an even more awesome budget, the likes of which this world has never known.

new topics

top topics

join