It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trolls Among Us

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
In the process of researching a piece on the Church of Eternal Childhood I have been contemplating for one of the forums here, I stumbled on some articles relating to a term which has recently been in play here at ATS.

So, I have set aside for the moment the original objective, and decided to put this OP together for the pleasure and hopefully participation of those members who may have something to say on the topic.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f955b9631165.jpg[/atsimg]

The Trolls Among Us

In the late 1980s, Internet users adopted the word “troll” to denote someone who intentionally disrupts online communities. Early trolling was relatively innocuous, taking place inside of small, single-topic Usenet groups. The trolls employed what the M.I.T. professor Judith Donath calls a “pseudo-naïve” tactic, asking stupid questions and seeing who would rise to the bait. The game was to find out who would see through this stereotypical newbie behavior, and who would fall for it. As one guide to trolldom puts it, “If you don’t fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.”

Today the Internet is much more than esoteric discussion forums. It is a mass medium for defining who we are to ourselves and to others. Teenagers groom their MySpace profiles as intensely as their hair; escapists clock 50-hour weeks in virtual worlds, accumulating gold for their online avatars. Anyone seeking work or love can expect to be Googled. As our emotional investment in the Internet has grown, the stakes for trolling — for provoking strangers online — have risen. Trolling has evolved from ironic solo skit to vicious group hunt.

“Lulz” is how trolls keep score. A corruption of “LOL” or “laugh out loud,” “lulz” means the joy of disrupting another’s emotional equilibrium. “Lulz is watching someone lose their mind at their computer 2,000 miles away while you chat with friends and laugh,” said one ex-troll who, like many people I contacted, refused to disclose his legal identity.

Another troll explained the lulz as a quasi-thermodynamic exchange between the sensitive and the cruel: “You look for someone who is full of it, a real blowhard. Then you exploit their insecurities to get an insane amount of drama, laughs and lulz. Rules would be simple: 1. Do whatever it takes to get lulz. 2. Make sure the lulz is widely distributed. This will allow for more lulz to be made. 3. The game is never over until all the lulz have been had.”

Source : NYT

Trolling for Ethics: Mattathias Schwartz’s Awesome Piece on Internet Poltergeists

I have my own ideas about trolls — from Joybubbles days, from the days of the “mad scrollers” on Xcaliber. But most of all, I idolize the message-board vets who seem to have a sixth sense for trolls. Not kidding. A newcomer to some ladies’ board will say, “Hi, I’m Jayne,” and the alpha girl with the troll radar shoots back, “Go away, troll.” And it’s gone.

If you’re one of these trollspotters, how do you do it?
If you’re a troll, why do you do it?
If you’re a victim or an observer, what should we do about it?

Source : NYT

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Star, a good read...

But if you've never trolled, you've never lived. There are times and placed for trolling and with proper discretion tasty lulz are tasty.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thanks, eNumbra ( I think
)

Glad you enjoyed.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Encyclopedia Dramatica has a good article on Trolls

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to HiAliens' comment

Post a link and a quote or two -- keep it 'lite' though

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I won't post a link cos ED can be too rude for some...
I respect the Modulators

I am a generational member of a bloodline of Trolls, that goes back to pre-Davidian times. For years my family has fought the forces of anti-lulz. It has been a long and painful battle. For millenia we have trolled, few humans have listened. We are persecuted, ridiculed and ignored. But our time is coming.

[edit on 13f20090amSun, 29 Mar 2009 11:23:56 -050056 by HiAliens]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

But our time is coming.

Be afraid - be very afraid !

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This is usually a great troll deterent:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dbe044f2a5df.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives -

Definately catching your drift -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/45907fe53b5f.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

lol, that has to be one of the best on the web.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a4587ae0c87c.jpg[/atsimg]

Always thought this one was good.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives -

Always thought this one was good.

Not only good but effective too !

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yeah, it basically says everything. Its like the Troll laws, which trolls do not follow because there trolls..lol.. Anyway, I will try and find more later. Who would of thought this troll crap would be fun? Need a drink...

:w:

I hope that is a drink..

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Or this ...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c54de20308ab.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Whoa, now that is a bloody troll! And what I think of when I hear of an internet troll.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2757122a4fa8.jpg[/atsimg]

This also comes to mind.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well, the only thing left for me to post is my own picture, but since I'm not a troll !!! I guess I won't

Thanks for the pics - they pretty good.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Yes it was fun while it lasted. Maybe one day the trolls will see themselves for what they really are.. Only God knows the answer..

new topics

top topics

join