It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold Fusion-Confirmed!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Wow so finally..the MJ12 have let slip some technology to help humanity?

Discussion

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Removed 'All Caps' from title

[edit on 24/3/09 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It doesn't appear to be confirmed.

Fleishmann-Pons' work was re-examined and tested by her peers and subsequently was brought into question. She was unable to prove how cold fusion could occur in the conditions that she described (i.e. room temperature.)

She also failed to rule out all other possible explanations as to what could produce the resulting neutrons other than the assumption of cold fusion. These are some VERY important steps in the scientific process and they were neglected for whatever reason.

This doesn't suggest that it was done intentionally. She could have very well accidently overlooked a number of factors throughout the testing process.

The discovery is still significant as she might have discovered an entirely new mechanic of chemisty and physics. So it was still very fruitful.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by LogicalResponse]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Nice find. Although, the article stated that the experiment was not able to be reproduced and it actually did not involve cold fusion . They claim that it was caused by some unknown new type of energy reaction.

Quite interesting still. This could actually be better than cold fusion and made a step ahead of the initial goal.

I am waiting for the day I can have limitless energy to power my home and automobile. But I am afraid it will be taxed to be just as expensive as it is now.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I thought Pons was the PREVIOUS attempt 20 years ago, this current one is done by

"analytical chemist Pamela Mosier-Boss of the US Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (SPAWAR) in San Diego, California"

Originally posted by LogicalResponse
It doesn't appear to be confirmed.

Fleishmann-Pons' work was re-examined and tested by her peers and subsequently was brought into question. She was unable to prove how cold fusion could occur in the conditions that she described (i.e. room temperature.)

[edit on 24-3-2009 by LogicalResponse]

[edit on 24-3-2009 by atsbeliever]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalResponse

Umm, Fleishmann-Pons wasn't a "she", it was two men.

I haven't studied Cold Fusion that much myself, but supposedly Eugene Mallove was murdered because he was the most outspoken champion of Cold Fusion for many years.

I'd bet that this is real.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Yea its kinda confusing but it appears to be that Fleishmann-Pons' was the 20 year old attempt, NOT the current one.

So 20 years on hopefully they made some progress!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
MJ-12 came from PRAVDA news, about as reliable as a broken down car.
And the article does not say cold fusion was confirmed.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by SuperSlovak]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

Umm, Fleishmann-Pons wasn't a "she", it was two men.

What? Two men sown to each other to produce a female physicist? This is a weird kind of gender reassignment.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Oops, I got the person completely wrong when I was writing my reply.

It was indeed Mosier-Boss's work that was reviewed and deemed faulty.

Right concept, wrong person.

So this too still proves it is yet to be confirmed. But like I said, something new still came out of it. It just wasn't cold fusion.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The article says that in the review at Rice it wasn't explained how the Coulomb barrier is overcome.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LogicalResponse

What the article says is that this current physicist has been met with skepticism because she didn't look at other possibilities as the cause for the reaction.

The previous team that sent "shockwaves" through the field were later discredited because the results weren't able to be reproduced.

As of yet, I don't know that anyone has ATTEMPTED to reproduce this latest scientists experiments.

Either way, fusion was achieved. At least that is how I read the article. They are saying that she either achieved her goal or discovered a completely new sort of nuclear reaction.

Either way it deserves a huge

Considering it is coming from the Navy, I would say this is probably a big deal. And yeah, I would wonder if this is back engineered tech being given in a time of need. But that is just me.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
There's actually a number of large problems with the researcher's claims:

• The experiment cannot always be repeated, and no one from the group seems to know why.

• Their paper does not reveal how many failed runs were required before the team saw a trace of fusion neutrons.

• The current experiment simply counts up the number of neutrons detected over minutes, so correlations with bubble bursts cannot be seen.

• An obvious way to confirm that fusion is happening would be to look for tritium. But in the current tests, tritium's signature is overwhelmed by decay from the uranium.

• Their work says that T of about 15,000 K is achieved when the bubbles collapse, but those aren't fusion temperatures, at all!

• Several articles refer to the process of "smashing atoms" together, when in fact it is deuterium nuclei.

I mean, it's full of more holes than a slice of swiss cheese. And given that so far it's just one maverick claim it has a VERY poor chance of panning out.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Here is to hoping, huh?

In any event, they were able to produce results, albeit none too consistent. Hopefully they can get better.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
Here is to hoping, huh?

In any event, they were able to produce results, albeit none too consistent. Hopefully they can get better.

Exactly. This could really be a turning point in physics that science needs right now.

Against all odds, I hope it pans out as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Yeah.
For the time being though, I think the thread title should be changed. I mean, they haven't "confirmed" anything.
But this is definately a good thread. Worthy of the flag I gave it.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I recall one or both of the Fleishmann-Pons team were later involved in some other experiments with potentially breakthrough results, but again the controls and data were brought into question.

There is a sub-school of science where experiments are done in very important areas to attract attention to the individuals or their institution. More than one group have received independent funding on the basis of showing results that looked promising and could lead to mega-money.

Faking results isn't common in science, but it's not completely unknown.

I'm skeptical on this one.

Mike

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

I recall one or both of the Fleishmann-Pons team were later involved in some other experiments with potentially breakthrough results, but again the controls and data were brought into question.

There is a sub-school of science where experiments are done in very important areas to attract attention to the individuals or their institution. More than one group have received independent funding on the basis of showing results that looked promising and could lead to mega-money.

Faking results isn't common in science, but it's not completely unknown.

I'm skeptical on this one.

Mike

Your right there is alot of seudo science done at labs and universities its called fringe science. But who knows what they may find.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
New Scientist are also covering it in some detail this week: Neutron tracks revive hopes for cold fusion.

new topics

top topics

join