It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does school drain you so much?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm in college right now and I have to get a lot of sleep for school. Otherwise I'll feel emotionally drained. Even then, I have take a nap after school because it's so tiring. I do not remember high-school being this tiring. But then again public schools were pretty tiring. Why must school be so much of a drain on your system? Is it the way it's designed?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
well..maybe if you dont like the people there?or the know you have to listen and do homework.i wa ssleeping after school to.
its like a job..normal i guess depends on the person

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I dunno. Maybe it's just something about your metabolism, frankidealist35. For me school has always been exciting. The opportunity to be exposed to so many subjects and sources of knowledge always got me stoked for school. Besides working full-time, going to school full-time, I also got lots of exercise, spent the needed time on homework and still found time to party and also date. But, that's just me. Maybe you aren't supposed to be in school right now. Maybe search for something else constructive to do, selecting a path that is interesting and exciting. Maybe attend a technological school studying something that interests you more which have classes specifically designed to concentrate on one subject, but more indepth than in a regular college. Just something for you to consider. I actually spent my first 4 years in college studying something that, when I started to actually work in the area of expertise, I didn't enjoy. So I just started a new career, working up from the bottom and learning as I went and gained knowledge and position and increased wages. Retired from that and returned to college again and earned a new degree and went to work in that field.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I read an article somewhere that compared intellectual effort to working out.

The point of the article is that when you're studying you're burning as many calories as when your working out.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
College for me was about 20 times easier than High School. The hours were much better, instead of 6 hours of class per day, it went to a max of about 3 and I normally had one day off. I could sleep in...unlike in High School.

I would say sleep deprivation is a problem for a lot of High School students and probably poor diet. If those things could be fixed it would help a lot.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
High school is usually a more socially complex enviornment than "public" or elementary school.

Maybe you need a study buddy?

Maybe you're also not eating like you did in high school?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Yeah it drains me, but I also live 40 miles away and cram my classes into 2 days a week. So I'm only exhausted 2 days a week.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Its designed to break you, and make you submit to the powers at be.
Once it was for education.
Now its also to prepare you to be a good citizen of the NWO.
And do as you are told like a good slave.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I was always tired in highschool. In elementary school and middleschool I wasn't so much. They still gave us 30 minutes to play back then. After middleschool, you get sucked into a world where you sit on your ass for a couple of hours, eat, and then go back to sitting on your ass for a couple of hours. This goes on for 4 years. When I got to college, my body was so used to sitting on my ass for so many hours that i felt tired all the time, the freedom of having the right to use the restroom anytime I pleased, the freedom of choosing whether or not I wanted to attend a certain class was too much for me and I don't think my body handled it well.

I believe the reason people, particularly students are so drained all the time is because of the poor school conditioning. If you weren't the popular kid or whatever in highschool, then you were pretty much going to work every day of the week, or prison.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The transition from high school to college can be a stressful one for most people.

While it is true, as one poster pointed out, that once you get into your groove, college is easier than high school, because you're not in class all day every day, the demands on a college student are considerably different.

One important difference is that generally college students are responsible for themselves in ways they may have never been before. You set your own schedule within certain limits, you decide when you study and when you play and you're pretty much responsible for getting to class and getting your assignments in on time.

Also, often college students are away from home for the first time. They are in new settings with unfamiliar people and with a different diet, which even if one's diet is nutritious, new foods can make us feel differently. On some college campuses, students might have to walk a few miles everyday with a load of heavy books, which may be new to their routine, as well.

It could very well be that the increase need for sleep is purely physiological based on factors like those mentioned above and your need to adjust, however an increased need for sleep is also a symptom of depression. Given all those changes that college students go through, psychological effects are not uncommon.

I would suggest that if your condition does not abate in what you'd consider a reasonable time frame that you talk to a medical or mental health professional, or even to a trusted teacher.

Whatever you do don't let yourself become overwhelmed before you seek help. Taking care of their own physical and emotional well-being is just another of those responsibilities that college students are facing probably for the first time in their lives.

[edit on 2009/3/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Regardless of it being school, work, or recreation a lot of people are just tired and feel very wore out. Even laying around and relaxing can end up being exhausting for a lot of people.

Some references to diet and food have been mentioned and I would echo those sentiments. Nowadays the instances of "convenience foods" are in escapable and in most situations if it comes in a package or is to be thrown in the mic it will serve to sap the life out of someone in kind. Measure this to the - actual total intake of convenience foods overall on a daily basis - and a lot of answers can be found to tiredness and energy with diet alone.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Wait till you get a job.

Then you will know tired.

School is nothing compared to the real world I'm afraid to say, so enjoy it while it lasts.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It's not the class work that is draining and ragging you out.
It's the drinking and chasing wimmin till all hours that puts the load on your system.

Personal experience talkin here.

College is for experiencing a taste of the adult world with out your mommie and daddy breathing down your neck.

Education....that's called grad school.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Wait till you get a job.

Then you will know tired.

School is nothing compared to the real world I'm afraid to say, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Well that's just because the system's fixed by a bunch of corrupt Banksterz from the top down.

When one is really doing innovative/problem solving work - and getting paid for it to boot - it's so much better than school on any level!

Go to work for any of the majority of psychotic publicly owned corporations out there - and yeah, College (in retrospect) will seem like Spring Break!

This is why we need to Change the System!

If we allow this Globalization to replace our countries Soverignty - then we will really know what indentured servitude is all about!

(we ain't seen nothin' yet!)

top topics

join