It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conyers Urges ACORN Probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Conyers Urges ACORN Probe

thebulletin.us

If proven, ACORN and Project Vote could at the very least, lose their tax-exampt status for engaging in politically partisan activities. ACORN’s questionable activism extended into what Ms. Moncrief called a “Muscle for the Money” program.

Ms. Heidelbaugh told the panel that Ms. Moncrief said there were two programs with that name — one official and one unofficial. The official program is the marketing name ACORN gives for its voter registration drives.

But the unofficial program, is directed at corporations for donations. Ms. Heidelbaugh quoted from Ms. Moncrief testimony, “[ACORN was] paid by SEIU (the Service Employees International Union) to harass a man named Mr. Rubenstein, and they wanted me to go out — the D.C. local did, wanted me to go out and break up a banquet dinner, protest out in front of his house.... it was always referred to as ‘Muscle for Money’ because they would go out there, intimidate these people, protest … And instead of, you know, reforming the way they did the rapid anticipation loans, they ended up giving money to the ACORN tax sites ... The companys would pay money to get the protesting to stop....the insiders at ACORN called it “protection”... programs were carried out against Sherwin Williams, Jackson Hewitt, H&R Block, the Carlyle Group and Money Mart.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
newsfeedresearcher.com

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Recent example of "muscle for the money" is the recent bus tour of AIG executives homes chartered by ACORN. It got huge media attention and gave the impression of being grass roots instead of what it was: a contrived protest by a professional group. Politics is not so media driven that everything is shaped to generate media coverage, especially protests with the possibility of violence. Nothing is what it seems these days.

See the additional link for more info about this latest protest; many sources here.

thebulletin.us
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I don't know if I believe the acorn resco conspiracy.

It sounds like a far-right conspiracy to me.

I don't know what they should do about acorn. But I'm all for probes of it if they've done something wrong.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Congress just gave this group 3 BILLION dollars.

has anyone asked WHY?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
They use serious intimidation for one thing.

It was called “Muscle for the Money” because they would go “intimidate people and protest.” Targets of the protests included Sherwin-Williams, H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, and Money Mart among others, testimony revealed. The apparent purpose was to get money from the targeted entities for ACORN. Perhaps the most controversial accusation revealed by whistleblower testimony was the scheme by which ACORN and Project Vote are paid by foundations per voter registered and the submission of copies of actual voter registration cards to the foundations, which is a violation of federal law. I spoke with whistleblower Anita MonCrief at the hearing. “ACORN itself is sometimes paid by foundations per registration and, in some case,s they would send copies of the voter registration cards straight to the funder,” MonCrief said. “Workers are improperly trained. … They are trained to never ask, ‘Are you registered to vote?’ because if the person says ‘Yes,’ they have to move on. They ask, ‘Did you vote in the last election,’ and if the person says ‘No,’ they register them again. This is how they duplicate registrations and flood the offices.”

ACORN whistleblowers

Not only are they allowed to continue, they continue to get funding from this administration. This really distorts the electoral process.

new topics

top topics

join