It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents 'tried to cremate boy on BBQ'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Parents 'tried to cremate boy on BBQ'

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

AN American couple accused of trying to cremate their slain two-year-old son on a barbecue and then collecting his welfare benefits have pleaded guilty in a deal with prosecutors.

Joseph Miller, 28, pleaded guilty today to second-degree murder and Nickella Reid, 23, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and welfare fraud, The Associated Press (AP) reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
What the hell is wrong with these people? I guess they are obviously sick because they killed their son but then attempting to cremate the body on a BBQ? WTF?

And please, no jokes about Austin Powers and baby-back ribs.

Detroit police found the remains of two-year-old Deuntay Miller while investigating the 2007 scalding of the couple's one-year-old son, Nicholas.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I wish I could say this surprises me, but in this day and age, it really doesn't.

It sickens me to no end, but it is not surprising. Some people should never, ever be allowed to have children or be near them.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is really sick.

These parents should not be alive.

Why pay with tax payers' money for these two sick people to keep on living?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is truely disgusting. That poor child! This couple should spend the rest of their lives in prison. And that's just one more thing to make Detroit look bad.

Found the article in the Freep. It was in yesterdays news. Photos of the parents are there with a longer article

www.freep.com...

The case broke when Reid and her mother took Deuntay's 1-year-old brother, Nicholas Miller, to Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit on Nov. 11, 2007, for second- and third-degree burns. Prosecutors said at the time that 35% of Nicholas' body had been burned, and he is still recovering. Miller also pleaded guilty to first-degree child abuse for the burns Nicholas sustained. The toddler, who needs additional surgery, is in foster care, Miller's attorney, Gabi Silver, said Monday. There have been no family visits. Police said Reid told investigators that Miller scalded their son with water in their home on Lillibridge in Detroit.

So, they had a second son that was burned. What is wrong with these people. They should both be sterilized so they can never have more children.

Unless I'm reading the article wrong, this couple scalded both boys with hot water. The 2 yr old died, but they took the 1 yr old to the hospital. They hid the remains of the 2 yr old for 9 months, and then tried to cremate him.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

It makes humanity look bad. It isn't just relegated to one town in one state in one country.

Crap like this happens everyday, everywhere.

:shk:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yes this is sick and frankly I don't want to be able to understand why someone would do this. However, I don't agree in the death penalty for such crimes. To do this, one must be mentally ill. The problem here is that we as a society didn't do anything to prevent it.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just when you think you hear everything. BAM... something comes and knocks you off your feet. This is truly disgusting and makes me sad to say they are part of the human race. What is wrong with these parents???

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

It makes humanity look bad. It isn't just relegated to one town in one state in one country.

Crap like this happens everyday, everywhere.

:shk:

You're right. This stuff does happen everywhere, unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

You really think they are mentally ill?

Why not just evil and totally selfish? There's just as much chance of that. People don't have to be mentally ill to do horrible, evil, inhumane things.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

I don't know that I can place mental illness on this one. They collected the welfare for the one child for at least 9 months. Killing their child,and severely burning another one is evil, just plain evil.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Yes this is sick and frankly I don't want to be able to understand why someone would do this.

...So you fall into the trap of calling it an illness rather than wickedness expressed as a scheme to get rich at any cost. (Sorry if this sounds provocative/inflammatory - I'm just making a point here.)

However, I don't agree in the death penalty for such crimes. To do this, one must be mentally ill.

Not at all. There are such people, but at the same time there are also plenty of twisted, evil monsters out there.

The problem here is that we as a society didn't do anything to prevent it.

Like call a spade a spade. Then insist on a punishment that fits the crime.

(Bring back hanging for a start.)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Too bad Michigan doesn't have a death penalty. Those two deserve to get the death penalty, and I'm iffy on where I stand on the death penalty.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
truly sickening ... where did humanity go wrong? where people think it's okay to kill their kid, then BBQ it to cover it, and collect welfare money for it and act like everything's okay ...

off topic: for some reason i think this could be related to the financial crisis, where certain people 'kill' the market, cover their tracks with the bailouts, then cash in on it ...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Yes this is sick and frankly I don't want to be able to understand why someone would do this. However, I don't agree in the death penalty for such crimes. To do this, one must be mentally ill. The problem here is that we as a society didn't do anything to prevent it.

Ah, so instead you want more control?...

Perhaps even cameras inside the homes of everyone?...

Sorry if it goes against the ideologies of some, but there are people in this planet who shouldn't be alive when they commit despicable crimes....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
These two have been abused their whole lives. One and two years old, those poor, poor kids.

www.freep.com...

Medical experts said examination of Deuntay's skeletal remains showed healed breaks in both of his legs and signs of malnutrition in the development of his bones.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
So we've moved on from intentionally getting knocked up and staying unmarried to keep the benefits rolling in or adopting/bording in lean-to's in the backyard to get the government checks right on to murdering the dependents so you get to keep and spend more of the welfare dole.

Good stuff. Let's keep rewarding bad behavior.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I guess it depends if you consider psycopathy an illness or a personality trait. Until we really understand the brain and consciousness there will always be confusion over mental illness and just plain selfishness.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
YOU GUYS ARE ALL THE SICK ONES !!!!!!!! ALONG WITH THE SYSTEM THAT PROSECUTED THESE PEOPLE IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT TO CALL THEM !!!!

This Legislative system that we have these days sends the drug dealers that would never hurt a soul to JAIL with the same damend charges as someone who has barbequed there SON !!! ...

This is wrong on so many levels. FIRST OF ALL, if someone kills someone in such a horrific way they should be burned at the stake themselfs or Fried in a chair or HUNG on a noose. Second of all they should never EVER be given another meal or take anything from all of us in this world that have to live here peacfully !

SECOND OF ALL and most sick out of anything, the system that we have in play right now lets people that should be getting the death sentence lighter sentences. There shouldn't be a CALL for anyone to get off of anything on a MENTAL INSTABILITY CARD. They have the means to do this again ... and could possibly take someones SANE LIFE .. Why take the chance ? It doesn't add up in anyway possible ..Now I understand that there are sick people that need help but once they cross a certain line ... They should not be helped any longer. I have thoughts are mental retardation and hadicaps that should also be taken into place that are now being taken place in the WILD .. However they are not all a total DRAIN on SOCIETY and even if 99% of them are they have a soul just like any other person and deserve the right to live although if they wer to kill anyone THEY DESERVE TO DIE themselves. ***WELCOME TO TEXAS.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
it never seizes to amaze me how sick some people are.

They should be put down, it makes humanity look bad if they can go to a prison.

This forgiving crap has become a Christian tradition it seems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join