It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Information Age, a Blessing or a Curse?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
We all like the internet's instant encyclopaedia of information, but who says it’s all good? It used to be good and these days it seems it can do more harm than good in the hands of the wrong people.
Information is a good way for industry development and education, but what happens when your trade secrets are let’s lose for a not so friendly nation who oppose your way of living?

Information = education
Information = Knowledge of good and bad
Information - can be used to spread disinformation.
No Information -can lead to living in a world that is a lie.

It can unite the world in a common cause but it can spread fear to the world also.
What this brings is the human consciousness under one roof, together we hurt together we can unite as a family but families do have problems too and a divorce can bring war.

Are we better fending for ourselves as nations rather than going down the globalisation avenue?
In the information age it has its downfall and upsides but I hope as a people we don’t end up destroying everyone all at once.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I have a simple arithmetic reply to this OP:

knowledge = power
power = corruption

total knowledge = total power
total power = total corruption

The information age is BOTH a social blessing and a horrible tool for tyrants.

It furthers scientific endeavor and learning, but also (unguarded) allows for complete domination of the planet by any megalomaniacs willing to (salivating for) a complete database of everything.

My childhood fears have come true. And, now we're on the verge of genetically engineered humans (mixed blessing), artificial intelligence (mixed blessing), and the complete elimination of privacy for security (mixed blesssing).

The truth is - Noone is worthy of this power, and is the ultimate insult to the natural future of mankind.

I am convinced, more than ever, that we are caught in a matrix, with no escape, and this has all been planned to enslave the (stupid, selfish, and violent) human race to the most powerful (and insidious) megalomaniacs in the world.

We will either decentralize, and provide power to the people, immediately, or we will enter the road of the damned.

in Liberty, by God,
O-315

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
People on ATS have made comments on a thread based of whether you hate Facebook. People have commented on privacy and its downfall of a database like record keeping of our connections with people which can be accessed by anyone. Privacy can be an issue, your private life becomes knowldge to people you don't want to advertise your lifes little problems. People talk and people can be malicious with personal problems, online bullying is a trend which was never an issue before. I guess the more shy type of person may benefit from social internet chatting and may help in confidence boosting and dealing with personal problems where its too hard to speak to in the real world, like many people do on ATS.

I think the information age is one step forward and two steps back because its good to advance in knowledge but knowledge can be used against its orginal source. Take like the Nuclear weapons act -

Mutually assured destruction (M.A.D.) is a doctrine of military strategy in which a full-scale use of nuclear weapons by two opposing sides would effectively result in the destruction of both the attacker and the defender.[1] It is based on the theory of deterrence according to which the deployment of strong weapons is essential to threaten the enemy in order to prevent the use of the very same weapons. The strategy is effectively a form of Nash equilibrium, in which both sides are attempting to avoid their worst possible outcome—nuclear annihilation.
Text

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
On a biological scale, I think our brains are capable of gathering lots and lots data but aren't necessarily capable of fully processing and integrating it to a useful or helpful end.

I think what we are seeing in our modern culture is a direct result of too many inputs into our biological computer. As a consequence, on the whole, we are unfocused, unorganized, unproductive and unhappy.

We are, in essence, having a biological computer crash of epic proportions all because of too much information.

And on a broader scale there's this:

The Global (computer) Crash

[edit on 25/3/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Look at the news, sometimes it can be informative but other times if the wrong information appears it can stir up trouble. We saw what happened with the Muslim countries when the information spread about the Danish cartoons, if that information was isolated only to Denmark then the rest of the world would not experienced the riots. Sometimes information has responsibility in the hands of people who find out and soetimes its better not to say. You wonder why governments won't admit to alien UFO activity stories or why certain religious finds are kept away from the news stories, its because they stir up trouble and even if there are lots of good behaved people out there the world iis probably not ready for truths, it does not make it a lie it's just the way it is. The good and the bad side of the spread of information where one extreame is not to say for our own good.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Information age; look at the Swine Flu story, it has created mass hysteria and yet its news may have contained it. Again people on ATS see it as propaganda of the false kind.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I think it is both, shame i never had the net when i was young, as i would of found more help with growing pains etc.. that you just cannot say in real life, without being isolated, by peer things.

But the net has been a great tool to help us understand more of the world, and to understand we are not the only ones suffering in this society of what ever you want to call them.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The internet is only as currupt as your own curiosity, if you want advice about growing up and sharing your experiences and hearing about your problems you will likely find it. But if you want to see the pain and suffering in the world you will also find along with profanity and extream human natures. If you stay true to your self and are already an okay person you will reflect it in what you search for.

top topics

join