It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty computer virus due on April 1st

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
Hmmm...it's now past Midnight, 4/1, here on the East Coast of the US...and as near as I can tell nothing has happened...Ho Hum

You may be right, but I think I will reserve judgement until 4/2 just to be safe.

I remember waking up on Jan.1st, 2000 with my stockpiles of food and water awaiting the Y2K bug crash. It was a week or two before I felt a little silly. Then months later the water leaked on the canned goods on the shelf below. The cans rusted and leaked all over my garage.

I had to wipe away the tears as I was cleaning up all those wasted beenie-weenies.

Regards......KK

[edit on 1-4-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

True enough KK. Just wishful thinking on my part, though, despite the initial, dire reports, it seems that the A/V experts have a handle on how to handle this.

Oh and sorry about your beenie-weenies

[edit on 1-4-2009 by Night Watchman]

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Thanks for your condolences.

I so hope you are correct. Can you imagine how angry people wll be if they can't get on MySpace and FaceBook. Just being sarcastic, of course.

If nothing else, hopefully it has opened some eyes as to the threat of cyber security.
(Or simply encouraged them to purchase / renew AV apps, Ooopppsss, there I go again.)

Regards.......KK

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

your sooo close to the truth ..

theirs a hell of alot of people who when they cant get on myspace / youtube or facebook they phone their broadbands tech support instantly ... ive even heard of people crying because they cant get on facebook. (i work in dsl tech support)

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
just another scaremonger tactic from the big corporations to invest in there software.

:Boot your PC into safemode without networking
: Run your anti virus, delete any threats
: Run Spybot Search and Destroy (Free), delete any threats
: Run Windows Defender (Free), delete any threats
: Run microsoft maliscious software removal tool (free), delete any threats.
: Reeboot system.

This will generally grab anything, with spybot picking up a lot more than your standard anti virus software will find.

Any virus which has came my way I have resolved doing the above.

Its also advised to have a backup hard drive / drives for all that data you want to keep with your main opperating system running on your primary drive along with anti virus , office products and any games you may play. All other data should be on storage drives i.e movies, mp3s, etc etc.

This makes it vey easy for you to reinstall your opperating system and primary drive from scratch in less than an hour if you absolutely need to. If you have norton ghost and have ghosted your primary drive it will take even less time.

A genuine copy of your operating system is really all you need to have any virus ridden pc up and running like new in an hour.

Just my two cents worth, hope it helps someone out there.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

That is a great list of step-by-step instructions. Thanks.

In my case, I have a 250 Gig internal OS System drive. After a full crash, it generally takes at least one hour to do a full re-format. Then re-installing OS and restoring disk image 1 - 2 hours. So for me, the "Giddy up to Whoa" process is about 3 or 4 hours, but certainly better than 1 to 3 days as before.

( I really should partition my 250 internal disk smaller and reserve exclusive for OS , I'm just too lazy and too unfamiliar to do so I suppose.) Any tips on that?

Regards......KK

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join