It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty computer virus due on April 1st

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Sorry KK but basics is, "that right there is the on button, that there is the keyboard, this heres a mouse...blah blah blah " and of course I took computer literacy at school so I know all that crud and a bit more. Im just angry at the computer industry because of stated reasons in above post. Sorry if I came across a bit GRR but to know more than I already know about my PC I would have to sacrifice time, and I feel I payed enough for the thing that I shouldnt have to .

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

It seems I have diagnosed and solved your issue.

I think in your case the problem exists between the chair and keyboard.

Kind Regards.........KK

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Ahhh.. the good ole' "PEBCAK" error.

Can't forget about the "I-D.10-T" error as well.... thats a nasty one.

-edit- On a serious note however... no Computer will ever be a "plug-in and forget" system. They all need regular maintenance just like checking the oil in your car and the pressure in the tires.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have Kaspersky internet 2009 on my computer. It is always updating, I hope it is updated for this virus. I will roll back the date and time on my computer , and isolate it from the internet . Thanks for all the info...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Its a myth I tell you. The Anti-Virus companies are loosing trade because there arent any Viruses out there anymore for their products to be destroying, so there suddenly creating 2 new ones in this past 2 months that are going to get everyone to buy new products on the shelves (or re-new their subscriptions) and keep Norton and companies like AVG back in business again.
Tricks of the trade.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

you are probably correct there bub, Im holding out till star trek happens

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

Hope Kaspersky alone will do it.

From what I've read, it bypasses internal computer time and syncs to external site clock.

But better safe than sorry I suppose.

KK

edit to add: since it appears the nocturnal IT geeks are up tonight, you gotta watch this:

www.thewebsiteisdown.com...

"Sales Guy vs. Web dude is hilarious............I promise.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Hope Kaspersky alone will do it.

From what I've read, it bypasses internal computer time and syncs to external site clock.

But better safe than sorry I suppose.

KK
Any recomendations to add to Kaspersky A/V ?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

It is one of the top rated apps. Probably a safe bet.

Earlier in the thread aLIEn posted a link to extractor should you get infected.

If you can boot.

Of course, you could disco web / wifi on 4/1. At least it can't release its wrath. I don't pretend to fully know the implications of that. Sorry.

KK

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
support.microsoft.com...

Malicious Software Removal Tool

THis MS utility will do a quick scan to see if you are infected with Conficker and other malware.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
well i ain't sure coming online on april 1...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Who here has been around long enough to remember the Michelangelo virus? It was the same story...

"Warning! On 6 March 1992 all computers on the planet will be wiped because of this nasty virus called Michelangelo!"

Come 6 March... Nothing.

The virus first came to widespread international attention in January 1992, when it was revealed that a few computer and software manufacturers had accidentally shipped products, for example Intel's LANSpool print server, infected with the virus. Although the infected machines numbered only in the hundreds, the resulting publicity spiraled into "expert" claims of thousands or even millions of computers infected by Michelangelo. However, on March 6, 1992, only 10,000 to 20,000 cases of data loss were reported. The news media lost interest, and the virus was quickly forgotten. Despite the scenario given above, in which an infected computer could evade detection for years, by 1997 no cases were being reported in the wild.

Source

As usual it was the media that created the hype, and not the "severity" of the virus. We are threatened by several new (and "dangerous") viruses on a daily basis. For some reason the media decide for us which are "extra dangerous".

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Wow........1992. Prodigy / Compuserve days.

A snip from your excerpt:

However, on March 6, 1992, only 10,000 to 20,000 cases of data loss were reported.

"Only" 10,000 to 20,000 cases? I'd say that was serious for back then.

I'm just being "kautious" (sic)

(But I also was on Y2K and did scrape some chicken embryos off my face.)

Regards...KK

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

"Sales Guy vs. Web dude is hilarious............I promise.

Good one KK, that was hilarious. I am not suprised some dont know the dif between the internet and a webpage though...lol
Thanks for sharing!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by stealthsurfer
I am not suprised some dont know the dif between the internet and a webpage though...lol Thanks for sharing!

Yes like my spousal unit. She's got 3200 e-mails in her Outlook Express Inbox, usually clicks YES to any pop-up and is always complaing about how slow her computer runs.

I still love her so.

Glad you liked the site.

Kind Regards.......KK

[edit on 26-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Instead of causing mischief , think of what these 'hackers' could do if they put their minds to helpful projects instead of trying to create misery to the ordinary people.
They really need to look at the bigger picture instead of seeing it as fun.

Livelyhoods could be lost should someone be really reliant on their pc when it becomes infected, that could lead to divorce, suicides, murders , the list goes on, as something like this could have a knock-on effect to peoples lives.
But these viral programmers don't seem to care, all they want is money they can scam off the gullible, OI Viral programmers , haven't you heard? there's a credit crisis on, advertising phony programs that won't sell if people ain't got the money top buy them with, you muppets.

But anyways this sounds like the Y2K virus panic, and on an April fools day too.

[edit on 26/3/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Ok, let me just tell you (head waggin) this thing SUCKS. Im typing this from the library, because my computer is toast. This is not the first time my computer has been infected. It happened before and I had to totaly rebuild the hard drive. Im assuming this is what took my computers life, because it sounds like what happened to my computer. I can still do a few things on my computer which believe it or not is not a good thing. I can NOT rebuild it. I can not do anything to fix it. I have to go out and buy a whole new computer, which unfortunatly I can not do for a while. As corny as it sounds, I cant help but think this came from the company itself. There are so many differences with this thing, I dont even know that I would call it a worm. It does not continue to destroy your hard drive. It gets to a point then stays there, and protects itself. The list of oddities with this thing is a mile long. I did have my firewall up btw. Not only did it go around it, but its hiding behind it and reinforcing it. I can not take it down.

Not having the internet at home is much more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Turns out I'm addicted to it like Crack. I cant take it man I cant take it!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
I was going to make a post on this earlier but got sidetracked...

I do have one suggestion for anyone who is infected with this virus, or is not sure they are infected.

As this month draws to a close and the April 1st date does get closer, it may be a good idea to roll your PC clock/date back a week, just till we see what the widespread symptom of this virus does to the majority of the machines it has infected.

If your PC does not roll-over to the April 1st date, it CANNOT ACTIVATE whatever the "worm" is designated to do.

I personally do not feel it will "wipe your hard drive" as some have speculated.. but one can never be too sure.

Just a friendly heads up.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

I believe the article states that a "master server" will issue a command on the 1st April that will command the bots to do whatever, I doubt a sate change will do anything, otherwise they'd know what happens by setting the clock forward

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It is speculated that the malware connects to external domains such as;

facebook.com
w3.org
ask.com
yahoo.com
google.com
baidu.com

to obtain the date. Additionally, social networks such as;

myspace.com
livejournal.com
friendster.com
ning.com

are used to spread the malware.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

If you are not connected to the net at "said" time it is IMPOSSIBLE for it connect to the master server.

I made a follow-up post mentioning I forgot to add that to my first post in the thread.

The point of the "roll-back" is to keep it from activating on its own, when not connected to the net. My suggestion was not a FIX.. it is merely giving you time to see what the widespread result is after the APRILS 1st date on the machines that will be hit. If nothing happens to the general PC populace, then all you lost was a little bit of "net time".

[edit on 26-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join