It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty computer virus due on April 1st

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Yeah, ven, I use Acronis True Image. Used to use Norton but I don't trust any of their stuff on my machine anymore.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Just be sure to image it offline or it might take you 20 mins
. Clonezilla is also a nice and free way for backup. It shouldn't be a problem to set back the clock, simply don't allow windows to sync with internet time servers.

The least users can do is run an online check or install ad supported antivirus, there are so many good programs out there. Personally I think system administrators have learned lessons from massive virus attacks in the past, I can remember 8 years ago many companies simply didn't have good or up to date antivirus, firewalling, filtering and backup procedures.

Most virus/worm/bot outbreaks are mostly because of unknowing consumers who think their computer is as safe as the ones at the office and have little clue except how to surf the internet and emailing.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Dragonfly79]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Why is everybody loosing their crap over a supposed Y2K-ish virus. I mean come on now, it's a simple virus that will be found, and code will be created to counter it within the first few days of it's mass infection if at all.

The people who create these things don't nearly have as good understand as the people who create virus databases. Hackers are good, but really what virus has lasted that long and has posed a problem as big as people are chalking it up to be? Not very many.

This one won't be any different.

My IT team has blocked far worse.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is not an ordinary, run -of-the-mill type malware. This could reek some serious havoc if not stopped.

THe developers of the virus code employed some revolutionary new techniques to combat detection and prevent removal.

Further, if organized into a coordinated offensive weapon, this multimillion-node botnet poses a serious and dire threat to the Internet.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

This virus has been spreading since early january, and has not been able to be countered since it was identified.

The main people who are at danger of being affected are the personal computers at people's homes... they tend not to have "IT departments" to help them.

It is better to ere on the side of caution than to adapt an "wait-and-see" attitude.

I feel the same way with my work environment, we are capable of securing our systems against intrusions of this nature.. but your normal home user that does not have the proper precautions is largely at risk.

Giving a head's up is far from "crapping" ourselves over this one.

Viruses and the people who write them get better year after year. Just like those that like to think they are safe using Mac's... there are coders trying to break that cycle now.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Why is everybody loosing their crap over a supposed Y2K-ish virus. I mean come on now, it's a simple virus that will be found, and code will be created to counter it within the first few days of it's mass infection if at all.

~Keeper

Who's losing their crap? I'm more worried about not having enough ice cubes left to mix my next drink.

Can you spare a couple?

[edit on 24-3-2009 by JohnHolmes]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The main people who are at danger of being affected are the personal computers at people's homes... they tend not to have "IT departments" to help them.

It uses the Peer-to-peer programs on peoples systems to spread. Yes. home users are at risk but ALL computers connected to the internet are vulnerable. Just think of how many P2P are on .edu systems !!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Just use your firewall, to block things until you allow them.
Don't automatically allow things like svchost.exe and Explorer.exe to contact the internet.
I have my time checking blocked, and sync my clock when I choose to.
Everytime you open search on windows its contacting MS to send them information on you.
And also Genuine Advantage is always trying to contact them.
And make sure you don't have disk cleanup scheduled.
Because it can change directory's in the registry, to make it think all MS error reporting files and help files, are your whole HD.
And it deletes it all.
If you run disk cleanup, make sure the MS error and help files and folders, are not to big.If they are more than 10gb then chances are its going to delete more than just those files.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by aLiiEn]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is a day before the G20 conference.

Coincidence?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I’m not a computer tech, by any means but I do know there are several ways to kill a virus.

The easiest is going to system config and removing it from the start up menu.

Maybe Manually remove it in safe mode.

There are several other methods if you do a google search.

If you don’t get the blue screen of death you can simply do a system restore. Bios.

The last resort would be to go in and change the code numbers to 000000, that always works for me.

I have gotten rid of some nasties, backdoor Trojans, several different viruses from myspace, etc.

I haven’t heard of this bug until now. If it happens Microsoft will find a fix ASAP.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by wonderworld]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
www.bdtools.net...
Get this, Bit Defender all conficker removal tool.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
mtc.sri.com...

Please click and read the page that loads. It explains this worm in detail.

This is one amazeing worm. This site explains in detail how it sircumvents firewalls, virus scanners, etc.. It explains C in detail.

edit to add.. version C of this worm. The one thats to launch something april 1st

[edit on 25-3-2009 by madmangunradio]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
Maybe Manually remove it in safe mode.

My understanding is that it prohibits you from booting in safe mode.

The removal tool supplied by a subsequent poster appears promising. ( aLIEn )

www.bdtools.net...

To be safe, I am battening down my network hatches and luckily have a couple of Macs I could limp by on.

Regards......KK

[edit on 25-3-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Please don't flame me, but could the recent pifts.exe fiasco from Norton have any correlation to this? ( Some sort of final testing or pre-damage control.)

Seems they would have used it as an excuse if so. Unless they know some things we don't.

I am by no means defending their actions........just sayin'.

This appears to be a potent little bug, seems many well respected software companies and tech sites are taking it seriously and poised for action.

Regards......KK

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am so glad I have an Apple hehehehe!

Sophos expert Graham Cluley shows how hackers are setting up websites to infect Apple Mac users with the RSPlug Trojan horse.

More information on Graham Cluley's blog at sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/03/25/apple-mac-malware-caught-camera/ and from Paul Baccas of SophosLabs at sophos.com/security/blog/2009/03/3710.html

Mac users crack me up! You are no longer immune either as your "Mac" gains popularity, so do the hackers targeting it. No OS is safe, and I lately have had to remove trojans from several Mac's.

hehehe

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I think the smartest thing anyone can do that is so worried about Conficker on April 1st "besides use Linux" is to back up all your data, which should be done on a regular basis anyway. Then just reformat and reinstall your OS. Or like others have mentioned Use Ghost or Acronis and create an image to restore. Another very simple thing you can do is to create a separate partition besides "C" and move all important info and docs to the second partition so if you have to do a reinstall, you will only be reformatting "C" and you can simply drag it all back when your done.
Always Always Always back up your data!

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ok , Im getting pretty knarcked with folks who know computers in and out getting pissy because other folks dont know how to look after them. Its a tool , like a hammer, or a saw. It shouldnt need expertise in order to run it safely . Its a networked calculator with a screen and memory. Its not a car for godsake. Another thing that gets my goat is, its enough of an imposition having to replace parts because of obsoletion. Thats why I keep my machine at lowest possible spec at all times. I cant afford good ANYTHING and if I could,I would get a damned car. The problem is , aside from the speed at which these blasted things go out of date, I also have to worry about them being infected by some spotty autistic geek cyber terrorist? Get the hell out ! I know people who have had to take out MORTGAGES on thier machines, and you are telling me that they cant build an unhackable, uninfectable home computer? For gods sake . Bloody ameteur is what that is . Thats like Nissan or Ford putting a car on the market with a disclaimer *Your tyres are not under warranty, your fan belt will only last one solar year, your engine management chip will be affected by minute changes in the earths magnetic frequency , and can be overridden by idiots with certain applications attatched to thier wifi networks .Under any of the circumstances listed there will be no refunds*. Give me a damned break... computing makes me so angry. The only reason computers are vunerable to external attack is because they have never been built to a good enough standard.The bar... it needs raising.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Wow. A tad hostile.

Honestly I get miffed by those who don't take the time to learn the basics. You mention tools. Don't you keep your saw oiled and hammer & wrenches tidy? I do, I live by the ocean and if I don't they rust. Or they aren't organized when I need them.

Anyone can drive a car, just not in the 24 Hours of Lemans. These are a little more than "calculators."

The millions of line of code that make your computer (or this site) function properly is mind-boggling. Learning the basics of "housekeeping / file management" and keeping your software updates current will go a long way to make life easier.

But to pipe up on an internet chat forum that is discussing a potentially serious virus and complain about computers equates to a rooster angrily crowing at the rising sun.

Regards.....KK

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Ok , Im getting pretty knarcked with folks who know computers in and out getting pissy because other folks dont know how to look after them.

Hows it goin TrueBrit? You seem xtra happy tonight! Actually there are a few of us throwing out ideas for those that don't know computers inside and out, so if they do get compromised because of a virus, or Trojan they will know a few steps to take to get back on track. I am always willing to help if I can since I do this for a living, and might know of a few tricks and tools to pass on to someone who might not. And if your worried about not being able to afford "up to date" software, then honestly try Linux. IT"S FREE! and when a new OS comes out you just update it FREE, no need to buy anything mate.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthsurfer

As it happens, I am extra happy tonight!!
I went for a quiet drink with a beautiful woman, walked home on a gorgeously crisp night, Im feeling right as rain lol. I just hate computers ,like you wouldnt believe! Its the constant hardware upgrading that annoys me , software patchings a doddle , messing with the regular UI settings to make it work the way I want, just fine . Its just the stupid crap a consumer pays enough money to never have to worry about that annoys me. I mean I appreciate the offer of assistance,and of course I have considered Linux. I just have an argument of ethics against an industry which builds things which can be so easily broken thats all
Hope you are having a good evening , morning , afternoon, or whichever it happens to be by the way

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join