It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasty computer virus due on April 1st

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Nasty computer virus due on April 1st

www.cnn.com

The anti-worm researchers have banded together in a group they call the Conficker Cabal. Members are searching for the malicious software program's author and for ways to do damage control if he or she can't be stopped.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Those of us that had to contend with viruses on their computers, know how damaging and tedious they can be to remove. The people that write these viruses amaze me; to fully understand an operating systems like windows. Apparently this 'bad boy' is thought to already infect between 5 to 10 million computers. Named Conficker worm malware is to infect million more computers on April 1st.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This article is advertisement for Microsoft, which is one of the worst types of advertisement in the history of mankind.

Go git 'em, Steve!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I was going to make a post on this earlier but got sidetracked...

I do have one suggestion for anyone who is infected with this virus, or is not sure they are infected.

As this month draws to a close and the April 1st date does get closer, it may be a good idea to roll your PC clock/date back a week, just till we see what the widespread symptom of this virus does to the majority of the machines it has infected.

If your PC does not roll-over to the April 1st date, it CANNOT ACTIVATE whatever the "worm" is designated to do.

I personally do not feel it will "wipe your hard drive" as some have speculated.. but one can never be too sure.

Just a friendly heads up.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What they say about this worm is.
www.microsoft.com.../Conficker

It says nothing about it wiping hard-drives.

The best thing would be to turn the clock back on you computer and wait 48 hours April 3ed then download your latest antivirus update.

Within 48 hours the antivirus companies will have it patched.

Or you can do what i plan and go to my Linux side (the dark side)till it is over. (my computer is duel boot)

[edit on 24-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Think this has something to do with april fools? hmmm

Edit: oh yes it does, but it seems it aint a joke.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Some of these have the ability to install itself and then wait for commands from external sources, like an IRC site, and i would suppose conficker would be able to maybe check the date externally, like from a time/date server or any given that would present the current time, and not be dependent on local computer time. Its just a guess, since the coder(s) seem to know what they are doing and beeing dependent on local computer time to execute would seem like almost idiotic easy to fix.

So i think the best way to be absolutely sure is to pull the PC from the network, but thats like beeing out of beer on a saturday night so..

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Im sure this virus wont be much of a problem. Its not like anti-virus companies dont work hard at making sure their programs can keep viruses like this out of out systems.
If people are that worried then they can just reformat their machine and keep their anti-virus updated.... or move to linux or Mac OS

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Appreciate the head's up; I've been offline for 4 months, and just did a massive update of all manner of things on the computer, so hopefully it's protected.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yes, it checks the time externally. Setting your clock back won't do a thing to help you. It also disables anti-virus and firewall software, and blocks you from downloading the updates... so that's not a fool-proof method of safety either.

Wait, it gets better. It also prevents you from restarting your computer in safe mode, and deletes all your pre-infection system restore points.

Whoever made it knew their stuff.

mtc.sri.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Yes, I did fail to mention in my suggestion NOT to have you "rig" connected to the internet on the 1st if infected. (as a geek I forget not everyone is savvy in all aspects.)

That would undermine your roll-back of the date.

The suggestion was only to prevent the activation time.. not to stop it completely.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Problem to day is not viruses, but trojans. I work with computers, and i assure you; there are like zero viruses compared to the trojan/malware infestation that is found on 9/10 comuters. So having antiviri software in most cases is not enough, antimalware like Spysweeper, malwarebytes Antimalware, Spybot, AD-Aware..etc are specialized in handling this and many do a good job. But, unfortunatly, having this to protect the comp too arent an 100% safe bet not getting these.

Some trojans, like Virtumonde/Vundo still infects many PCs, and that trojan is "old" and was a real hassle to get rid of, even if antispywares detected and "removed" it.

Nowadays we also have the rouge antispyware/antimalware scanners that do the opposite of real scanners.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I am so glad I have an Apple

hehehehe!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The really sad part about this is that so many infections could be stopped if people just took a little time to learn how to surf the net responsibly. Instead folks ignore the firewall update popups, never patch their software, and click every damn link in every email, resulting in machines with upwards of 20,000 infected items (I have seen them with my own two eyes) and making us tech folks want to scream.

Gripe aside I'm quite interested in seeing what this sucker does when the botnet fires up; chances are its going to be rented to some organized crime group as is the trend these days.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
The really sad part about this is that so many infections could be stopped if people just took a little time to learn how to surf the net responsibly. Instead folks ignore the firewall update popups, never patch their software, and click every damn link in every email, resulting in machines with upwards of 20,000 infected items (I have seen them with my own two eyes) and making us tech folks want to scream.

Gripe aside I'm quite interested in seeing what this sucker does when the botnet fires up; chances are its going to be rented to some organized crime group as is the trend these days.

I so agree with you! I know many people who do not update anything on their computers and click on all links and open up stuff they dont know. They all get viruses and wind up having to buy a new computer. I tell them all the time do the updates and learn a little about what you are doing it will help you in the end. I have an Apple and while I dont have to worry about viruses much I still protect my computer and do what's necessary. People just dont think sometimes.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
A nice app too keep up with updates that could pose security risks is Secunia. I found it quite usefull as it make the cheking for updates quite easy.

Secunia updates scanner

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It is not known for sure that the dormant code will activate on April 1, its just a guess on the experts part.

Apparently, if your system hasn't gotten any anti virus updates or any Microsoft updates in the last month then your system might already be infected.

I would suggest running some rootkit software to look for any malicious programs.

Microsoft has a security update for Confiker.C and is reffering customers to removal tools for Confiker.B in the event you are compromised.

www.microsoft.com...

I would suggest you copy any AV programs (updated) you currently have to a thumb drive so in case you get infected you can run the AV from the thumb drive because COnfiker.C will block any attempts to connect to the internet to get the lastest AV updates.

everything you want to know about the malware is here

mtc.sri.com...

[edit on 24-3-2009 by venividivici]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig

I was going to mention this, and i totally agree, end users dont have any knowledge of how to use the internet, they just click everything, do not update anything and dont have a clue on what a firewall is. And then they install Bearshare and Limewire and then wonder why it is so slow and hot, the latter because of dustcarpets in vent preventing airflow to cool the CPU/chipsets.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Or you can do what i plan and go to my Linux side (the dark side)till it is over. (my computer is duel boot)

Thought you might like to see this, if you haven't.
I think PcMag says it's been around since January.

"The First Botnet For Linux?"

As far as the virus - I keep incremental images so I'm not too worried. 10 minutes and my systems good to go.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by JohnHolmes]

[edit on 24-3-2009 by JohnHolmes]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnHolmes

Originally posted by ANNED

Thought you might like to see it, if you haven't.
I think PcMag says it's been around since January.

"The First Botnet For Linux?"

As far as the virus - I keep incremental images so I'm not too worried. 10 minutes and my systems good to go.

By "image" do you mean a restore point? Because this malware wipes out all restore points, among other things.

If you mean a ghost image of the OS then nevermind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join