It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. cracks down on border drug violence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

U.S. cracks down on border drug violence

www.msnbc.msn.com

Among the moves the government is making:

Doubling the border enforcement security teams that combine local, state, and federal officers.
Adding 16 new Drug Enforcement Administration positions in the southwest region. DEA currently has more than 1,000 agents working in the southwest border region.
Sending 100 more people form the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to the border in the next 45 days. A recent bill passed by Congress already provided money for the ATF to hire 37 new agents and support staff in the region to fight gun trafficking.
Boosting the FBI's intelligence and analysis work on Mexican drug cartel crime.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The administration is also highlighting $700 million that Congress has already approved to support Mexico's efforts to fight the cartels.

Hundreds of millions here
Hundreds of millions there

Many posters here applauded Obama, but I guarantee you nothing will come out of this 700Million except the administration saying "ohhh, well we will need more money"!

War on drugs was/is a failure and so will this be.

Illegal immigrants steal jobs and this and that from America.
In one year does that total $700MILLION????????????

Seriously, this is highway speed roberry.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You know what I think is robbery? Sending less than 160 new agents to the hundreds of miles of borders to "crack down" on the trafficking! Yeah that is really going to help replace the few hundred we fired for lack of funding with a fresh batch of >160 and call it good. We are really cracking down! ; but what are we cracking down on? Surely not the border violence that is seeping into our country.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I have to agree. Seems like we should pull about 75,000 troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan and protect our nation....

but hey, I guess 160 super-cops should do it.

I wouldn't feel too secure if I were one of those 160 to get sent into a war zone with no rules of engagement.

What are they thinking?

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Yes I can agree with that

But the last couple of administrations only believed in overseas occupation and not domestic security.

I guess this is where Obama's youth brigades and something that sounds like a soft national draft might come into play.

I do agree with you though, but that means that super-cops aren't the answer.

Maybe legalizing drugs is the answer, just like CNN's front page is now saying.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just curious, why this sudden upsurge in violence in Mexico? Personally, I think it is the cartels and families fighting for control of a dwindling US market. I don't know if the "war on drugs" made a difference, but as boomers age the demand for narcotics (the illegal type at least) is going to decrease dramtically.

Younger generations just don't have the disposable income for recreational use and most boomers are looking more at Canada for their drug issues then Mexico.

There is also an inceasing demand in Mexico and that has actually fueled alot of the violence.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Sending 100 more people form the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives to the border in the next 45 days. A recent bill passed by Congress already provided money for the ATF to hire 37 new agents and support staff in the region to fight gun trafficking.

What will these ATF agents be doing harassing gun dealers or hunting down the illegal buyers.
In many cases a gun dealer can only go by the identification given to him and the state gun purchase regulations.

Many of these illegal buyer are using stolen identities to purchase these weapons.
Some if these are illegal aliens that have found that if there stolen identities are good enough to get work with they are also good enough to buy guns with.
If a gun dealer suspects something is wrong with the purchasers id but can not prove it a fake he must still sell the gun or face a law suit for discrimination if the id checks out to be good.

In the state of Calif if the drivers license photo matches the person with it and the state DOJ records clears for the person to buy the guns the dealer must sell the gun to the person.

But the cops in the state of Calif have found many fake drivers license that were so good that it took a fingerprinting of the person to find that they had a fake driver licenses and were using a stolen identity.

The drug cartels have the money and the people to get these very good fake drivers licenses and other Identification papers.

It is way to easy in the US to steal someone identity. and most of the proposed government id cards systems will do nothing to stop it.

One thing the states need is a PIN number system to verify state IDs like is used on credit cards.

This would cut down the use of stolen IDs and make is easier to spot gun purchases with stolen identities.

They also need to raise the penalties for identity theft and using stolen identities for illegal actions. including employment.
In many cases when they find some illegal working on a stolen identity all they do is take the ID and deport them.
In some cases the illegal goes back to Mexico and sells the ID information and another illegal uses it to have fake identification made to use when he is in the US.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by ANNED]

[edit on 24-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Commentary: Legalize drugs to stop violencereply to post by ModernAcademia

Legalizing drugs appears on the surface to be the answer. It won't happen because 1) TPTB won't let legalization happen because it is too lucrative 2) Legalization is not the program 3) Countries that have tried legalization probably wouldn't do it again. In the US the shock of all that drug use and dirty laundry out in the open would be too much. Be careful what you legalize!

I used to be for building a state of the art fence (Israeli style) across the border because the fence cost would be lower than the cost of the illegals. However, conditions are changing, for instance we no longer have the rampant prosperity of the Bush years and illegals have less incentive to head north. Another factor is our changing demographics. We are having fewer children! Soon we will be begging for emigrants to fill the ranks of our dwendling youth. Don't believe me? Wait and see in about 10 years. Bush was probably right allowing illegals to come in. He probably had advisors in the know about demographics.

Whoever said that Obama doesn't have a clue is probably right. I haven't seen sound judgement in anything he's done yet. Don't think he really thought he'd ever make POTUS.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I wouldn't call it stealing jobs exactly. In most cases those jobs are jobs that most poeple wouldn't want to do in the first place.

The real crime here is that most of the immigrant workers come to this country and send millions if not billions of dollars to their countries of origin to support their families.
We are bleeding money like crazy. Most of the money illegal immigrants earn is not spent in this country.
IMO illegal immigrants need to be legalized so that we get their tax dollars. And so that they spend their money in our local communities.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I wouldn't call it stealing jobs exactly. In most cases those jobs are jobs that most poeple wouldn't want to do in the first place.

Sigh, people are still saying this?

That propaghanda is the biggest load of rubbish. Americans did those jobs and only quit doing those jobs when the illegals came in and undercut the hourly Americans. To the point where it wasn't worth the drop in their standard of living for the manual labor that was being done by Americans.

Yes it can be argued that this is the faults of the employers but it is what it is. Illegals stealing jobs from Americans and over all lowering the standard of living for many Americans.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
The real crime here is that most of the immigrant workers come to this country and send millions if not billions of dollars to their countries of origin to support their families.

I cannot believe it

Your elected officials steal trillions from you
but you say it's a crime for people to send money to their families

dude, what if someone comes here as a legal immigrant
and then sends money to their families in their country
is that a crime too?

if that's not a crime then how is this a crime?

no offense but................
I won't say it, i'll be banned!

top topics

join