It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Religion steadily declining, generation by generation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
To me, this is all "a good thing"

And me -the less people joining religious cults/sects and deluding themselves that they are somehow more special/superior to other human beings the better.

Perhaps, if this trend continues, humankind will then be able to concentrate on the wellbeing of our species as a whole instead of non provable superstitious opinion dividing it up into warring cults.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by Unit541

The title of the thread implies it.

His post never did imply it. I actually enjoyed the info he provided. The title does imply though that someone is right and someone is wrong.

And he was right, in his assessment that there was a decline in religious beliefs. I'm really lost as to why that's so difficult to understand.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I wrote a thread a few weeks ago about a similar news.

For the last 8 years at least, I was under the impression that religion was of the uttermost importance in public. I was talking with a friend of mine who is living is the states near the rockies. He is an atheist like me and he was afraid \ ashamed to talk about is absence of belief.

While I was under the impression that the US was kind of a theocracy during the 8 years of Bush, this headline grabbed my attention.

''Most religious groups in USA have lost ground, survey finds''

www.usatoday.com...

During the campaign, I think religion played a very important role. Why would American care if their president is baptist, mormon, jew or a believer in the pink unicorn ? Is it the influence of Obama who acknowledged atheist in is inaugural speech ? Is it really happening because from up-here, it doesn't look like religion is loosing ground. I recently saw ''Religolous'', the movie by Bill Maher, it was great but I suspect it didn't get the attention it should. Are the atheist in the US still stigmatized ? Is it only in the ''bible belt'' ?

This is definetly a very good news. People are waking up.

Deny lies, Deny ignorance, and the truth shall set you free

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

When we can stop being Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc., then we can all be humans. When we all realize we're all humans, and we're all from the same place, amazing things (some might even call them miracles) will happen.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I know my generation feel like "Oh, I'm x religion because my parents are x religion." "Do you believe in x, that your religion preaches." "Not really, I don't know, I have to go to x with my parents to worship and stuff or I teach at the religious school there but I think x is stupid."

*shrug*

I mean, we're not a dumb generation. We see what causes wars. Most of the people I know say that when they have kids, they will keep them away from religion until they are older and then expose them to lots of religions and let them choose.

You know, how it should be done.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There is always the possibility that this is an unfortunate but expected occurrence within the Christian doctrine. Christian doctrine would teach that this is a result of Satan's efforts to turn people away from belief and worship of their Savior (Jesus). Remember that in this line of thinking the adversary needs not to turn people to worship of him in order to win, but merely turn people away from the Lord. Opening channels of belief that "spirituality" is good enough, or that Christian zealots are a reason/proof of Christianity's falsehood, or simply that things can be great here on earth with efforts of "good people" with morals could be construed as subversive techniques of a wily and devious "fallen angel". It might also simply be that obedience to God-given commandments is too difficult for many people in this society who are happy settling for "pretty good" and living off the hard work and legacy of past generations. I find it ironic that many people (on this site too) argue so vehemently about the distance we have traveled from where the founding fathers intended this nation to govern from (using Christian commandments and principles as guides) and yet will also argue just as vehemently the absurdity and ignorance of the Christian faith in general.

link   
I agree that the title is more of a "I win, and you lose". The post, however, didn't put that out. I would suggest changing the title.

Now that that's over.

I am right in the generation that is losing their religion. I think a lot of the people my age felt like they didn't have a lot of connection to the Old World religions. Most of them simply did as their parents did and a lot of the parents were losing their connection as well.

I blame the Hippies.

No really. A lot of younger adults go with religion as a family tradition to not disappoint their parents, grandparents, etc. There's not as much pressure to follow now, so many people are just letting religion go.

link   
reply to post by karl 12

And me -the less people joining religious cults/sects and deluding themselves that they are somehow more special/superior to other human beings the better.

Perhaps, if this trend continues, humankind will then be able to concentrate on the wellbeing of our species as a whole instead of non provable superstitious opinion dividing it up into warring cults.

My sentiments exactly.

It's too bad really... the purpose of religion is to re-join/unite an individual with Source. Doesn't seem to have been very effective overall.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Most of the people I know say that when they have kids, they will keep them away from religion until they are older and then expose them to lots of religions and let them choose.

You know, how it should be done.

My wife is about to have our first and we think along those terms, except that we will introduce them to religion as children and once they hit their teens, we will accept the it if they choose to change their minds.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
To clear things up, what i meant with "we were right, religion is going away" i was referring to religion in america and europe, speaking from a european's perspective.

Because here in Europe religion is steadily dissapearing, and so we thought it would only be a matter of time before it also happened in US.. in fact we were kinda stunned that religion (or christianity at least) was still so present there, when it plummeted here in Europe, (and people became atheists or agnostics and of course the rise of humanism)

SOURCE: humaniststudies.org...

So i could wonder: Is the U.S. following Europe now?

Overall, the US looks a lot like Western Europe 30 or 40 years ago. At that time most Europeans still believed in a god, but younger generations were more atheist and agnostic than their elders. That trend has continued with religion steadily declining, generation by generation.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by L.I.B.

Or humans invented it to feel better...

Either way, it's kind of a cult, we're starting to realize that. Besides, my generation wants everyone to feel unique and special and have an identity. Not join a group where everyone believes the same thing. Within a religion, there are tons of differences. Now people realize that and want to just believe what they want to believe, no strings attached.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Yeah... personally I would never introduce my children to just one religion, or one more than others. Because early on, it would get imprinted, and it may be hard for them to see otherwise.

I probably won't ever have kids, but if I do in 10 years or so, I would follow that plan. But I would make sure that they live their lives for what they are, and be happy with who they are and what they are and where they are in the universe. So that if they die and nothing happens, like if we all turn to dirt, then they won't be disappointed and they would live good, fulfilled lives on their own.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I agree.

My first wife was a full fledged Buddhist. I been to Temple with her and watched her perform in ceromonies. My family is Baptist. I have been to many Baptist Churches. My wife is Catholic. I have been to alot of Catholic services.

I enjoy differant religions and while I have picked one out that I follow, that was only because I find it suits me. I would think it would be hypocritical of me to deny my child, once old enough to understand, those same opportunities.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Religion isn't satisfying what people want anymore or you could say that they don't feel connected to God through it. People want to find their own answers as well, and that's why I've avoided Church because at least as a kid there wasn't much room for variation. And on top of that, so many Christians I met when I was younger were horrible people and going to their church really didn't appeal to me lol. It made it be sort of a joke.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Or humans invented it to feel better...

Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, it's kind of a cult, we're starting to realize that.

Yes, often used as brainwashing.

Besides, my generation wants everyone to feel unique and special and have an identity.

I think that people have always wanted this. The difference now is that the freedom to express one's self is more acceptable and is also met without the amount of recrimination experienced in previous times.

Not join a group where everyone believes the same thing.

Within a religion, there are tons of differences.

Did you mean: within the "various" religions, there are tons of differences?

Now people realize that and want to just believe what they want to believe, no strings attached.

Since I didn't really understand what you were saying in the previously quoted section, I'm not sure what you mean here by strings attached. Sorry.

edit to add a word

[edit on 24-3-2009 by L.I.B.]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

I don't think America quite counts.

Seriously, America mostly has protestant or a bastardised version of it (which in itself is a bastardised version of Catholicism, made ONLY for the purpose of our y-chromosoming fatso of a former King so he could get divorced....and only for that reason. Ever.)

If you look at the wider world, Islam is growing far greater than any religion, so whether chistianity steps up this was always oging to be the case.

Not getting at anyone for being American, religious, or christian (I was raised a catholic) by the way. Peace

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
im happy of these trends. it means that false religion will soon be destroyed.

rev 16:[12] And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

rev 17:[1] .....Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

rev 17:[15] And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

babylon the city, like babylon the great also sat on "many waters" (the euphrates specifically). this river helped to make babylon unconquerable. when cyrus went to conquer the literal babylon, he first diverted the euphrates.

in the same way babylon the great will lose her waters (people who support her).

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
im happy of these trends. it means that false religion will soon be destroyed.

By that do you mean every other organised religion apart from yours?
Isn't that a (rather predictable) cult trait present in every extremeist mindset?

rev 16:[12] And the sixth angel poured out his vial upon the great river Euphrates; and the water thereof was dried up, that the way of the kings of the east might be prepared.

rev 17:[1] .....Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters:

rev 17:[15] And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the whore sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

This man makes some good points about just mindlessly cherrypicking scripture to support assumptive opinions.
Its definitely worth a watch and he makes some rather astute observations:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
By that do you mean every other organised religion apart from yours?
Isn't that a (rather predictable) cult trait present in every extremeist mindset?

i didnt write the bible. be that as it may, false religion would be defined as any religion that god does not approve.

if jesus says that there are 2 road, one leads to life, the other leads to destruction, then logically it would imply that some people get it wrong.

nothing extreme about that

This man makes some good points about just mindlessly cherrypicking scripture to support assumptive opinions.

what about actually thinking about the scriptures and seeing how they apply to each other?

16:2 makes a direct reference to the euphrates. it was the river that babylon sat on. at the time that this book was written, babylon the city was long gone. 17:1 now refers to a figurative babylon that acts like a whore who sits on "waters". there is no reason not to connect these waters to the figurative euphrates. 17:15 in no uncertain terms spells out what this figurative euphrates is.

just because you cannot connect the dots, doesnt make it cherry picking. can you cite any scriptures that would derail my argument?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
...false religion would be defined as any religion that god does not approve.

My god doesn't approve of your religion. Which one of our religions is false? Every religion claims to be the true and correct religion, all others being false. It seems to me that, that fact alone means Atheists are one up on the "competition". I mean, at least their not practicing a false religion, which everyone else is, at least according to someone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join