It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold fusion experimentally confirmed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Cold fusion experimentally confirmed

www.eetimes.com

PORTLAND, Ore. — U.S. Navy researchers claimed to have experimentally confirmed cold fusion in a presentation at the American Chemical Society's annual meeting.

"We have compelling evidence that fusion reactions are occurring" at room temperature, said Pamela Mosier-Boss, a scientist with the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center (San Diego). The results are "the first scientific report of highly energetic neutrons from low-energy nuclear reactions," she added.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.newsweek.com
www.sciam.com
blog.newsweek.com

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Cold Fusion confirmed! The biggest question is- Will the PTB allow the development of this technology, or will they put it to the back burner, determined to find a way to control it, or to discredit it?

It has been 20 years since the first experiments were shown, by one way or other, as not feasible, or flawed, countless experiments failed to replicate themselves, and now we have US Navy researchers who are confirming its feasibility and possibility.

What does everybody make of this?

www.eetimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Tadahiko Mizuno of Japan's Hokkaido University also reported excess heat generation and gamma-ray emissions

Man-made global warming! Oh noes!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

The only reason the US Navy is being allowed unbridled research into Cold Fusion is because this could make nuclear-powered American warships and submarines 200 times more efficient than they currently are and with far greater ranges.

That's the only reason. The general public isn't going to hear a peep of this for another decade or so.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I hope this source is true. I don't hold the OP responsible BUT

I have seen this claim (with almost identical verbiage) several times over the years since 1989.

There were some indications that Navy personnel had been willing to assert the validity of the claims but they seem to have fizzled out over time. This seems like a press release by the same company that has been touting this development for nearly 20 years.

Unfortunately the article contains a broken source link, so I can't validate the timeliness of these claims.

I do so wish it were true though, because cold-fusion would tip the energy monopoly board quite significantly...., wait... that would probably mean the Energy moguls would be lining up for a bail out.....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
i've never heard of EETimes, is it a reliable site for information? if so, this is pretty cool. It would be so awesome to just fill up your car with a gallon of water and zoom off

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The only thing about this. Assuming that Cold Fusion is a reality. We have no way to use the energy. That will take a while to figure out how to use it.

Right now the way nuclear power works is that it uses the heat to steam heavy water to power turbines.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
EETimes is an engineering industry oriented magazine; it's been around forever, I know I use to get it back in the early 1990s. It's international and pretty well grounded. Not at all sensationalist.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This is BS. Any good engineer can make a cold fusion device if you give him a $1000. But they all consume more energy than they produce. Usually like a million times more.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Make Speed Limit 45
This is BS. Any good engineer can make a cold fusion device if you give him a $1000. But they all consume more energy than they produce. Usually like a million times more.

Fusion... not cold fusion.

Any good engineer can create a "HOT" fusion device, not a COLD fusion device.

But yes, fusion reactions thus far require incredible energy to produce, compared to what you can get out.

I believe I read of a 15 year-old that managed to make his own fusion device... they're pretty rudimentary.

All that occurs is a group of light atoms become "fused" into larger heavier clusters, and upon doing so, release the valence charges they once held.
The problem being, in order to do this, so far it's required incredible energy input in order to force them to fuse.
Which is why the amateur versions are referred to as "Hot fusion".

Hot fusion is useless for energy creation.
U S E L E S S
But it makes for a cool experiment if you get your jollies from listening to a Geiger counter.

Cold fusion is the theoretical process of causing the same light atoms to fuse together and release energy without having to use allot of energy to make it happen. Hence, why it's called cold fusion, it requires little to no energy to get it to happen... it starts cold.

Aside from this articles claims, I have no recollection of any successes in the department of cold fusion.

But yeah, there are some pretty young amateurs out there who have done hot fusion... but I don't see what good it will do you other than to satisfy curiosity.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by johnsky]

top topics

join