It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have seen instances of "baiting" in threads, lately.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Since this is BB&Q (...ermmmmm.....barbeque......)

Sorry, joke, likely very old.

There seem to be three categories of 'baiting'...the first, the easiest one, is known as 'trolling'....easily handled.

The second is more subtle....a clever subversion of a previous poster's words, in order to skew the intent...

The third? Using intentionally inflammatory words or phrases....(see Category Number One....it gewts very circular, after all).

Except, once emotion (see Number Three) gets into the mix....red flags start flying!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Unfortunately, I think this has always gone on - it's the nature of the 'net.

Best thing to do is ignore it - don't rise to the bait.

Once you rise to it, you have given them the reaction they want. (generic you)

There's some good advice and thread from the mods about this in BBQ - it just takes a few minutes to find them

And hey, don't forget the alert bbutton for those who get a little out of hand when you don't react.

We are only responsible for our own posts - if others want to play silly games, leave them to it, and sooner or later they will get bored and go elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Good, and cool beans, budski....

How come YOU aren't a mod??

EDIT....since this is BB&Q....and I think anything goes (?)

WHY is my U2U button always bright red, even when I don't have new U2Us???

Anyone??? (Bueller??)

[edit on 3/24/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

I think alot more people are scared of whats happening in the world, and that brings out the best and worst of everyone.
I really didnt see it that way until recently, Dodadoom said it to me in another thread, thats why i popped over here.
Fear brings out defense, or sometimes offense.. offensively.
Im going to wait a minute before i respond from now on, and try to place myself in other peoples shoes, and remember we all may be a little on edge.
just my 2 copper plated aluminum coins here.....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Delete or save the u2u's in your inbox.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If a message is marked as read, but hasn't been (sometimes happens when a u2u is deleted by the sender after being sent) then the red light will remain on even after reading - a glitch in the matrix perhaps

In other words, a u2u is not in bold type, so looks like it has been read when it hasn't.

I usually do a clean out when that happens, or just click on every u2u to make sure it has been read by the database as "opened"

That usually works for me - I also save any u2u's I want to keep for future reference, like global announcements or an applause in a thread I may want to look at at a later date if it contains something of relevance for a subject I have an interest in.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Yeah, I know, enjoies....I do that.

there was a post from Staff mentioning a new U2U policy....old U2Us being deleted after a certain time....I checked, I have none still open....but, I will cull them, per your idea.....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski

Unfortunately, I think this has always gone on - it's the nature of the 'net.

I agree with Budski's take on it. It's not new on the internet and it's not new here.

It comes and goes in waves. Although, to be honest, I'm not really aware of it being particular bad at the moment. Maybe I'm one of the 'baiters' though so I'm not noticing it!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

LOL....OK, Merriman....

Perhaps I over-reacted. BUT, there are threads, recently opened, for instance...I don't know how to linky, but just look for 'Bart Sibrel', it should pop up.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I've read through those and it seems like some people are either being very subtle with the baiting or are being overly "simple".

I'm not sure which, so I just don't comment.

Although, if I do see blatant baiting, I hit the "alert" button. That kind of stuff is not needed on a site like ATS.

[edit on 3/24/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Merriman Weir

LOL....OK, Merriman....

Perhaps I over-reacted. BUT, there are threads, recently opened, for instance...I don't know how to linky, but just look for 'Bart Sibrel', it should pop up.

As long as you have been here you don't know how to link a thread, WW?

Simply highlight the address in your browser, copy and paste.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Are you talking about this thread that is currently right behind yours in recent posts?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Seriously....I have tried.....

BUT, when I see other members do it, it makes my eyes bleed....

(speaking figuratively, of course...)

If I had a choice, I would prefer to print out a previous post, and THEN respond to it, as needed. So far, I just read, and try to remember the high points, and respond approriately to those.

To re-itereate...IF i never have to see the ''parsing" of posts ever again, it will be too soon!!!

(my bleeding eyes are dripping into my keyboard......)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Nothing recent about it.

Those of us who have been here since 2005 when ATS was a mere "outlandish", curiosity for all of these now all too common bipartisan zealots that waltz in and out of here, will remember even then people were picking apart each other's conspiracies with nothing but hot air and paraphrasing.

I'm afraid when you're dealing with raw passion and unwavering faith for the multiple of debates ATS is a host to, that is the price to pay.

What else is there to be said? Get used to it.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Yes, 'interestedalways'....but, how did YOU know???

I mean, how do you know, or are able to track, my posts????

Enquiring minds wish to know.....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Onelook dictionary:

▸ noun: something used to lure victims into danger
▸ noun: anything that serves as an enticement
▸ verb: lure, entice, or entrap with bait

See it for what it is, rise above it and use the Complaints/Suggestions button.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Pretty soon everyone is going to be so afraid of saying the "wrong" thing we aren't going to even want to say anything.

Everyday more restrictions are being debated as to what is acceptable discourse.

It would seem common sense would dictate proper communication, but on the internet, with people hiding behind "characters" it seems many do get out of line pretty easily.

Nature of the beast I suppose.

The basic civility and decorum is enough for me to understand the expectations of the site owners.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

maybe, then....the verb 'to taunt'.

Or, in a more childish form....'nyah, nyah'!!!

THIS is what I have been referring to.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I disagree, 'interested'....the site 'owners' have given a lot of latitude....more than I would have given, under certain circumstaces.

As I've said, it is about rationality over emotion....

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Yes, 'interestedalways'....but, how did YOU know???

I mean, how do you know, or are able to track, my posts????

Enquiring minds wish to know.....

What in the world are you asking me weedwacker? Can I track your posts? Of course I can, there is a button at the bottom of each of your posts that says posts. If I click it I get a list of all your posts.

As far as seeing that thread on recent posts listed after your post I simply look at the recent post page and they are all listed in the order of how they are posted to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join