It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the Internet Live?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I've often wondered where the internet lives and who owns it. Now that I'm a member here at ATS i thought I'd ask people who might actually know.

I think that the internet is the only place to get uncensored information. it will soon be the place where truth in news and information will be available. Because of that, it will be the number one target of those who would want to silence the means of communication and coordination.

That said, can the internet be unplugged? Does it have to rely on phone companies/cable companies for access or is it possible to access it over the air?

Is it truly a web in the sense that if one path (for lack of a better word) is broken, the web structure survives?

Thanks in advance for your information.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by traveler928
That said, can the internet be unplugged?

No not really (I'm sure others will give you a more complete answer
)

You could think of the internet as a load of protocols that have been let loose... That is to say all the computers that connect to the internet follow and understand these particular rules, packeted data for example... If you want a file to go somewhere all you do is basically tell it where to go, the file will be sent in packets, all of those packets know where they are going but they may not take the exact same route, the internet is changing all the time, so it could be faster for a single packet to find another way.

There are of course 'providers' and they run very expensive servers I like to call hubs, they are by and large commercial ventures but luckely there are plenty of them and competition keeps them behaving well - should the infrastructure of the internet ever become a cartel then we could be in trouble.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
There is no one owner of the internet. They call it the World Wide Web because that is what it is, a giant network linking every computer in the world. Servers host websites, do ftp, and so on but there is no one server making the internet work. Its a butt load of em. There's the layman's nutshell explanation.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
There are only 13 "root servers" in the world. they are massively huge. In a way you could say the internet "lives" there.

Wow! I'm another line

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I would do a little Google-ing on this, if I were you. The real fine points of this are best explained in more technical terms that you'll find in these casual posts.

Basically, the destinations on the Internet are files hosted by connected servers. Those destinations are generally freely available to connect to via networks. Your machine puts in a request to reach an address to one of these destinations. Another server (DNS) translates your friendly address (www.abovetopsecret.com) to a numbered address (75.126.76.151). Through shared protocols, the files are displayed as web pages.

It pretty much is a true web, but just like airports, there are major hubs. If one of those hubs dies, it takes a little rerouting to get all if it working again.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The Internet is an "inter-network" of computers, meaning that it's a way to connect different types of computers from different types of networks.

Your computer is a client. The computer you are downloading from is a server. There are also other computers in between, called gateways (in telephony, these are called "tandems").

The path from the average client to the average server can be from 20-30 "hops" (intermediate gateway switches). Most connections begin with a time-to-live of 255. This means that after 255 hops, the connection is dropped.

The first gateways existed in the US Department of Defense and a few research groups. Now gateways are located all over the world.

The thing is, the Internet was designed to still work even if most if it were unplugged. This is because gateways always keep one another updated on which is the best route to various destinations. There are two ways to unplug the Internet:
  • Route traffic through gateways that you control, and then unplug those gateways
  • Unplug individual clients.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Sliick is right, all internet traffic eventually passes through
those servers.
So if any of those servers were to go down, the internet
would be temporarily crippled.

Check here: wikinews

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The US essentially owns the internet because we control the root servers and we are "incharge" of them. If I remember correctly the contract for this was talked about a few months ago because many people wanted it to truly be a World Web and not just have us in charge of the core servers.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Though the point of the root servers is true in that they are the authoritative DNS (Domain Name System) servers which controls all domain names around the world, most ISP's also cache DNS requests within their own networks as well so the DNS servers aren't always consulted for every domain name translation. In essence, if the ISP has the entry cached, the root servers are not queried. So taking down the root DNS servers may disrupt traffic but would not render every connected domain / subdomain inaccessible.
There's also an alternative to the primary root servers called openDNS which is an effort to provide an alternate DNS system (based on privacy concerns for the most part).
And as a fallback, if the entire DNS system were to go down everywhere, if you know or can find the IP address of a server / computer on the network, you can connect due to the redundancy of the gateways, switches and routers around the world.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
While there are about a dozen "official" DNS servers (like a phone book), there are thousands of others which do the work. They only check in with those DNS servers for updated routing info, etc. Basically when they can't find something.

They can easily be set up elsewhere in the world... but why bother?

As for ownership, no, the US lost that ability as soon as the first lines were draped outside the country. That was a long time ago... since then, other countries use the internet more than the US does.

Asia currently holds 650 million internet users.
Europe holds 390 million internet users.
North America only holds 246 million internet users (That includes Mexico, and Canada).
Latin America holds 173 million internet users... believe it or not.

Within North America,
85% of Canadians are internet users
72% of Americans are internet users
21% of Mexicans are internet users

Yep, Canadians are more accustomed to the internet than Americans, oddly enough. Then again, it makes for a great medium for complaining about the winter.
In fact, it would seem Canadians love complaining about snow on the net so much, they use the internet more per-capita than any other country on earth.

Anyways...
I've got to go now...
I've got snow to whine about.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I've often wondered where the internet lives and who owns it. Now that I'm a member here at ATS i thought I'd ask people who might actually know.

Excellent question! The internet was created by the Advanced Research Projects Agency, the central R & D division of the US Dept of Defense. First called ARPANET (obvious reasons), nodes were set up at various universities around the states that would help to keep the internet moving. Today, it is obviously so much more. While the internet may have once been the property of the united states military, it sure isn't under their jurisdiction anymore. i think. I think it belongs to the people at this point.

I think that the internet is the only place to get uncensored information. it will soon be the place where truth in news and information will be available. Because of that, it will be the number one target of those who would want to silence the means of communication and coordination.

Well, just because the internet is open to common people doesn't mean the information can be uncensored. Common people censor stuff all the time. Your friends and family lie to you for any number of reasons, or have weaknesses that cause them to act certain ways. These are the same people who could be telling me my news. I can't trust a faceless stranger any more than I can trust a media conglomerate, can I?

That said, can the internet be unplugged? Does it have to rely on phone companies/cable companies for access or is it possible to access it over the air?

Well there are lots of different ways you can access the internet but I believe all of those ways require you paying someone for that access. That being said, I am sure it's just a matter of time before a free method is invented.

Is it truly a web in the sense that if one path (for lack of a better word) is broken, the web structure survives?

Yes! The internet is a series of lines of communication where, and virtually every point connects to more than one other. This means there is always a way to get from point A to point whatever.

Back to your question about who owns the internet. I think on the contrary, if there is an owner at all in this relationship, it's the internet who owns us. It has come to virtually control our economic system, it has transformed the way people meet people, and so many other things. My entire career is focused solely on the internet. If there was no internet, I would not have a job. My job did not exist 5 years ago. How do you like that?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The internet lives at the Blackhole servers.

www.iana.org...

The IANA maintains a high-level registry of IP addresses. It works with the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) to distribute the large blocks of IP addresses among the RIRs. There are currently 4 RIRs, distributed around the world: APNIC (Asia/Pacific Region), ARIN (North America and Sub-Sahara Africa), LACNIC (Latin America and some Caribbean Islands), and RIPE NCC (Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, and African countries located north of the equator). (A fifth regional registry is in formation for Africa.)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I seen a movie once where there was a "self-destruct" built into the INTERNET so the US government could shut the whole thing down at the push of a button if need be. I know it was just a movie but I often wondered if there was such a thing.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

It's a fun thought but the internet doesn't have a central core, really, so it would be very difficult for anyone to shut it down completely. If I had to pick a culprit I think the US government would probably have the resources and the know-how, but that's the problem with the web. It's not dependent on any one source of power or any one server, etc. It's about as close as you can get to a living, self sufficient organism without actually being one.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
About 10 years ago there was a project were several nations simulated a global emp attack, it was estimated that it would require 20 emp strikes on strategical location's and that's all it would require to bring down the www. Then again the main frames which assist many defence department's are about 150 meters bellow ground and shielded. (but then again what do i know)
If the off chance you would happen to come across such a gateway, i would recommend contacting your next of kin asap.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sliick
There are only 13 "root servers" in the world. they are massively huge. In a way you could say the internet "lives" there.

Wow! I'm another line

By "root server" I'm assuming you mean a root nameserver.

DNS is only for us humans. It's not an essential component of the Internet. You could very well use just an IP address. Although it's a bit tricky with vhosts, you can do it.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Thanks in advance for your information.

its centralized from where ever it is being broadcasted, however it is a two way communication so you cant broadcast if there is no one there to recieve the signal.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
the cool thing about the internet is network intrusion and how all networks should be monitored or censored to ensure network intrusion is not an option, however i asked my phone guy about nids at there central offices and he told me he wasnt sure, which would leave to believe that the entire internet is filtered and censored, however this would require an essential amount of processing power to monitor the entire internet from one location, which means you could essentially overwhelm the entire network at one time because of the time it takes to decypher and compile a massive application.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It lives in all of us

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

From HowStuffWorks.com

Kind of simplifies things abit.

[edit on 26-3-2009 by Gouki]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join