It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck -- Good or Bad?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Recently there has been talk on the boards about Glenn Beck and him covering 'Alternative Topics', like FEMA Camps, on Fox News.
Glenn Beck Mentions FEMA Camps on Fox & Friends
Glenn Beck talks about FEMA Camps with Ron Paul
Glenn Beck War Room Part 1 (You can find the other parts if you want to!)

Although at face value one might think ANY public exposure of these topics would be beneficial (if there is any shred of truth to them), I was wondering if anyone thought there might be other motives behind making these topics "mainstream".

I guess what I mean by this is that having Glenn Beck talk about these things might be seen more as a liability than a help by some because I know lots of people think he is crazy. In a way it is part of his persona; I have even seen him run a segment on his program called "the brink of insanity" complete with a little graphic of Glenn, red-faced and with smoke coming out of his ears. Plus, I dunno if anyone remembers the Glenn Beck crazy eyes broadcast (this YouTube video was the only one I could find showing the eyes broadcast, I have no idea what the video author is saying, the video is just to show the crazy eyes broadcast, starting at about 0:50), but I remember talking about how weird it was that he chose to have the camera pointed straight at his eyes.

So what do you think? Is he really speaking for himself on these issues? Is he a hero, a liability, a nutjob, or a plant? Is the MSM trying to marginalize the idea of conspiracy by talking about it on a news network that few take seriously anymore, with a host who many people think is crazy? Or is he really doing his best to get the news out? I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I like to watch him. I think he provokes interesting tangents of thought, and entertains all at the same time. I wish he came on just before Jon Stewart . 0 = bad 10= good, I give him a respectful 8.7.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Why see him as GOOD or BAD ?

How about an genuine idiot (which can make his audience feel better about them self) ?

I watch him occasionally when I need a good laugh

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I went ahead and gave my opinion on this here thread ...

www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=448621

be sure to watch the actor in full damage control in the 2 vids there....

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is what I don't get, nothing against the OP, but since when did people stop thinking for themselves?

I see all these threads about Glenn Beck now that he is venturing into alternative topic territory. For years you heard people saying the MSM won't talk about this or that. Now that somebody does it is like that person can't be trusted. I really don't get it.

Personally, I think it is people's ill conceived rational that everything that gets shown on FOX is automatically associated with evil, disinfo., lies, etc. It is funny because Olberman is a freaking wackjob but you don't see too many threads beating him down.

This is my thought, it isn't directed at anybody, but of an overall assessment of what I see a lot of not just on this site but on the internet in general.

If you lack the ability to think for yourself then you will go along with whatever your friends say, the talking points of the day, and or whatever the popular opinion is at the time. Then you are cheating yourself and you really aren't any better than the people that you call "sheep".

If you are unable to hold an objective opinion and research the facts for yourself then you are only cheating yourself. When it comes to Beck I don't think he views himself as an authority on anything, I don't think he is telling anybody what or how to think. Will you agree with everything he says? No, probably not, will you agree with what anybody has to say 100% of the time? No, probably not.

Yes, Beck crazy and on the fringe, but at least he has the cajones to step up and talk about these topics that he feels that are important. I think a lot of people are writing him off just because they have a irrational hatred of FOX. They are taken as a very credible source of info, and they are taken seriously. FOX News' ratings are higher than any other TV media outlet.

I think a lot of has to do with people political and social ideologies. They are unable to take a step back and look at the issues without a bias. Instead if the news isn't spun with their particular political leanings then they will just dismiss it all together.

I guess the thing that really gets me is the lack of thought. It seems like people have forgotten how to think for themselves and are unable to listen to somebody that they don't like for whatever reason, especially when some of these people that were complaining about how the MSM doesn't ever talk about these topics.

If you don't like him fine that is your personal choice, me personally I like him. I don't agree with everything he says, but at least he is one of the few talking heads that are actually stepping up to the plate and willing to face the problems head on, and that I can respect. He could really hit a nerve with somebody really high up and he could get the axe and his whole career could be over. But I feel he genuinely is concerned about where this country is heading and he is using his platform to get the word out that we need to start paying attention to the forest that is beyond the trees.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Glenn Beck is nothing more than a NWO shill. Their agenda now is to incite a revolution as to separate the men from the sheep. What they want, like all other war strategists, is to be able to identify their enemy—THE MEN.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
This is what I don't get, nothing against the OP, but since when did people stop thinking for themselves?
(...)
If you lack the ability to think for yourself then you will go along with whatever your friends say, the talking points of the day, and or whatever the popular opinion is at the time. Then you are cheating yourself and you really aren't any better than the people that you call "sheep".

Hey buddy, I think for myself just fine, thanks for your concern!
I don't see how posting a thread asking for the opinions of others is "cheating myself" or showing that I "lack the ability to think for myself". If that were true, then WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? Don't you go to forums to discuss topics with other people? Maybe you are the type that only posts but never reads the threads of others?

Now, getting this thread back on track, I realize now that some of you people are really touchy about language so I'll try to clarify what I meant to say in this post. Sorry I used "GOOD" and "BAD", I guess what I meant to ask is do you think he is SINCERE or do you think he has ULTERIOR MOTIVES? I'm just trying to foster a fruitful discussion about a guy who has taken it upon himself to voice some common concerns among the conspiracy crowd, and this is a conspiracy website so it would seem that this is the right place to post. For discussion's sake, lets leave linguistic nitpicking aside and engage the real topic.

So yeah, do you think he is sincere, or is he serving some agenda, or is he somewhere in-between? Also as a side-note, does anyone know what the 'final verdict' on the FEMA camps was? It seems like Beck sort of let the topic slip into oblivion.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ablastard

This is my thought, it isn't directed at anybody, but of an overall assessment of what I see a lot of not just on this site but on the internet in general.

Just trying to clarify things, but I guess you missed that sentence right above the part that you quoted me on. I guess I should have put that first.

I think he is sincere, really when you think about it he is putting everything on the line talking about the stuff he is.

They could pull the plug on his show at any second. Right now he is just hitting the zone. Everybody is fed up with the government asserting more control and putting our future generations into so much debt that they won't ever be able to pay it back.

I've noticed that history has is useful for predicting the future. History tells us that there has always been a small group of people standing up for what is right. I believe Beck is one of these people.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I'm just sorry the OP did not give a third option

...perhaps something like GOOD, BAD or insincere blowhard that attempts to gain trust by being anti-establishment but really is just being used by FOX news to get ahead of the awakening masses and try to herd them in the direction that the NWO would like them to go.

He said today he believes the 911 commission report .... I didnt realize there were any "Crazy Fringe" types that don't debunk FEMA camps that actually BELIEVE the feces we were forcefed as an explanation for that incident.

Will the Glenn Beck (wipe fake tear now) Proud American Sheep please remove the Stars and Stripes flag from their derriers and rub the salt from their eyes?

This guy couldnt be more fake. .. Ok I vote BAD

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
glenn beck is a hypnotic programmer.

nothing more to say as to his motives.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I think its all irrational fear of FOX as well. Until he moved his show to Fox news from Cnn i NEVER, saw a post about Glenn Beck, i would venture to guess many didnt know who he was. Heres some news for you, ive been listening to beck since before he EVER had a show on television, and BEFORE his show was rated in the top 3 talk shows on radio. Thats a pretty long time, and ill tell you this much, hes never changed his tune, hes always talked about what should be talked about, and hes never dodged issues......ive seen him take on some seriously ugly and mean people on his shows , both on TV and on the radio, and he handles himself with grace and calm. I cant say that about any other radio show host or tv host so far that ive watched.

I think he does a great job, and i think too many people on here are (even tho it is a conspiracy site) fall back on that conspiracy mindset too often, instead of using common sense. I sometimes wonder if peole are so out of it that they cant honestly look at a person anymore whose genuinely trying to help other people and help this country and say "Wow hes really trying to do a lot of good, i should strive to be more like that, that is an honorable person". Nope, instead you accuse them of being in league with someone, not because we dont like their message, not because of the content of their person or what they say, but the VENUE in which its presented......give me a break man......lets not be so crazy about political lines, and FOX news that we forget to see people for who they are. Sometimes its time to drop the conspiracy shtick!

Glenn Beck, not evil IMHO i think he addresses the issues that people are honestly concerned about, he reports about news that isnt always main stream because AMERICANS thoughts arent always main stream, he does it because people need to know about it.........

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nasdack24k

why is someone who speaks the truth a whackjob. we have all been waiting for someonee to break the bounds of the msm. you get it,and its false?????

if this guy goes ONE step further than other journalists,then what do you question.
some people are never satisfied.

BECK rating:

and if you wanna talk about hypnotic suggestion,you better include the master. mr obama.

obama the great illusionist

this link courtesy of redhatty.

now ,please read the whole thing before you cast aspersions!!!

[edit on 24-3-2009 by Spectre0o0]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
okie dokie ....

so the fact that Glenn Beck believes the 911 commission report means nothing ....

he is as fake as those choked up sobs he forces out every week or so ..

and as real as FOX is fair and balanced....

please see my signature .... I dedicate it to Super Patriot : Glenn Beck

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ablastard

I can't believe you even posed such a quandary...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

BECK is a dil
do you all agree?

Not only, but he's also a shill

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I don't think he believes any of it, he just wants to gain followers and a steady cash cow.

2nd line

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sayiamu

You are proof of what i explained above in my previous post , about people only thinking hes "evil" or "fake" because hes on FOX news......didnt hear that when he was on the liberal news network CNN? hhmmmm interesting......

but i digress, this isnt an argument over peoples MOTIVES for thinking what they think, just IF they think hes good guy or a bad guy.....you dont like patriotism thats fine.......if it wasnt for patriots you wouldnt have the luxury to be so complacent.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Spectre0o0

I didn't say he was a whackjob or a liar, I said he was a hypnotic programmer.

I have no reason to cast doubt on what you said about Obama. He is a similar type of hypnotist. I have read much of the .pdf that's been circulating about Obama's use of hypnotic induction, and most of it seems accurate.

I have spent the last three years studying clinical hypnosis and NLP, so I'm pretty sure I have a rudimentary understanding of what I'm seeing here.

Glenn Beck has spoken about topics that many other MSM guys won't t ouch, and for that I give him credit.
But he still is hypnotizing his audience. Read some books on NLP. Read some books by Bandler and Grinder, or Erickson.

Like I said though, I have nothing to say as to Glenn's motives. Follow the money that backs his time on the air....

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I like Glenn Beck. For the first time ever, i'm beginning to see the type of "alternative" news, that sites like ATS offers, covered in the MSM and Beck is responsible for that. I'm not saying he isn't in some way controlled by the big evil news corporations but at least he's covering some of the things i think should be covered.

TheAssociate

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thank you to everyone for your input. There are some interesting posts in this thread.

Nasdack24k, can you provide any specific examples to back up your claims that Beck is a hypnotic programmer? Please don't take offense to me asking you to elaborate, it's just quite a claim to make without any support, and if you want to prove/support your case, this thread is the right place to do it.

In my opinion, he does have a unique style, and since his job is both to report the news and get good ratings I understand why he might be a little unconventional. I watched him today and he encouraged people to march on Washington on tax day, which would seem like he is trying to empower the average American. However, I watched the 'crying' video and he really did look like he was faking it and doing a poor job. Also, the fact that he says he believes the 9/11 Commission Report bothers me, especially due to the Report's glaring omission of the collapse of 7 WTC. If your only knowledge of 9/11 came from the Commission Report you might believe that 7 WTC was still standing to this day! However, it's a really long report, and he might not have gotten a chance to read the whole thing.

Sincere or not, I do believe that it is a good thing that alternative news is actually being reported by the mainstream media because it is a welcome departure from the lies that they used to tell us during the Bush administration. (Oh yeah, the economy is going strong!
)

Note: my edit was fixing a smiley face that didn't display correctly...

[edit on 3/27/2009 by Ablastard]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join