It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama set to unveil Mexico border drugs/guns plan

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Its not about the user's physical damage, if that was the case then McDonalds would have to be outlawed.

The issue is the affect on families and society.

I never said anything about people not having responsibility. In fact I said it was the responsibility of all members of society to follow society's laws.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by free2live
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Inalienable rights are just that, guaranteed by nature.

I'm not sure I agree with you here. I guess society rejects illicit substances, but there is definitely a reason for this, and it is not all of society or even close by any means.

I think it is illegal more because the federal government telling us what is good for us, producing propaganda and stigmatizing these things. (again, alcohol is worse then many of these illicit drugs, but still legal)

13 states have legalized the medical use of one of these substances, through ballot measures. California has now legalized it completely. 'Society' in all of these states voted for it.

Now, the federal ban, kosher? I hardly think that is the will of society as a whole. States rights!

Inalienable rights are not guaranteed by Nature. I think you have confused the idealistic concept of Natural rights with Nature.

The concept of "Natural" or Inalienable rights is dependent upon people's belief in a universal transcendant ideal.

Nature itself guarantees no such thing. The only thing Nature guarantees is the Laws of Nature(physical laws) and survival of the fittest.

The one substance you mentioned I have not brought up once. I agree that the societies or general will of the states should have more authority on the issue, since that is the way our original social contract, the US constitution was designed.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

In fact I said it was the responsibility of all members of society to follow society's laws.

Why should I follow the ridiculous laws of a bunch of retards in Washington? They are obviously doing well with our money so I should trust them to know what's right and wrong? What is good or bad for me? I am now a social pariah because of my beliefs. I can no longer go out in public and speak my mind without being called a tinfoil-hat wearing nutjob, loony, kook. Or better yet, the obligatory fist fight that I don't want.

Those guys in Washington are doing a bang-up job. Must pay Federal Income Tax to a bunch of bankers, if not I go to jail. Cannot grow my own food so I can get away from all the chemicals they have put in them. Must listen to the propaganda and become a good little citizen with no free thought or ideas of my own, sorry, I won't do that. Can't smoke a doobie but I can get asthma medicine that can cause asthma related DEATH! As advertised on the damned television, no less.

Drugs are NOT bad. The choices people make CAN be bad but who is to say what is good and bad? Politicians? While they rape our economy and everything else for their own gains, I'm supposed to listen to what they tell me to do? Why? Please, tell me how they know what is right for me and what isn't? Please tell me how they know anything that they aren't told to vote for by their monetary sponsors?

If you really want to talk about societies rules, then why aren't damned near every one of our arses in Washington being brought up on charges, ANY CHARGES? I'm sure I could find all kinds of things to bring against almost ALL of them.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending any politicians.

Politicians are members of society as well. Meaning they are subject to the rule of law and must maintain the social contract, in this case the US Constitution.

If they are not maintaining the interests of the general will and in fact working against the interest of society, they are in violation of the social contract.

At that point it is the duty or obligation of society to restore the social contract or create a new one.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The politicians make the ridiculous laws that you are defending, so, in my eyes, you are defending the politicians.

Maybe it's just me but I think we would be a much happier lot if the government just got the hell out of our lives. If they can't abide by the rules, why should we? They have shredded the Constitution, their contract with the people, then why should I do anything they tell me to?

I had more written, but I think it's better that we just agree to disagree.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
[

Originally posted by delta33
Cut the head off the snake and legalize drugs.

[

[
Yes because legalizing Cocaine which in turn is used to make Crack will solve all of our problems.

While were at it lets legalize Heroin to stop warlords in Afghanistan.

G-d forbid we actually try enforcing the law and blow the snake's head off.

[edit on 24/3/09 by MikeboydUS]

We spend 50 billion dollars a year on law enforcment .
Where has that gotten us?
Except prisons full of non-violent pot heads while murderers and rapest walk free.

[edit on 2-4-2009 by delta33]

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
well, its about time we had a coherent border policy....
I guess it took Nixon to go to China.... Obama to secure the border....
I still lean waaaaaaay towards just legalize everything, that way we can tax it and there's little to no black market for it.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
I think the words that are going to come out of his mouth when he revels his plan will be something along the lines of, "we need to renew and make permanent assault weapons ban" or something along those lines. The his approval rating is going to drop to right over 50%.

Investigators say nine out of 10 guns retrieved from crime scenes south of the border are traced back to U.S. gun dealers.

Yes, this is saying that the US gun dealers are a problem. Just look at the numbers 9 out of 10 are weapons from America.

Anyway you slice it they are gunning for our rights.

Edit to add -

The Arizona Gun Store owner that was arrested and charged with selling guns to the Mexican Drug cartels, the judge in his case issued a direct verdict of Not Guilty.

Story Is Here

It is very easy to tell what is going to happen if Obama and Co. get up there and start talking about taking away our rights.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

Your a bleedin paranoid

I would not stand for the 2nd to be killed off and I am a stinking liberal -

Anyhow let me know when you lose a right - seriously - post it - explain what right you have lost and when -kay?

thanks

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Mcdonalds obesity kills more people then marijuana or tobacco.
Yet the government does nothing.

The government keeps raising taxes on tobacco and the tobacco companies just keep raising the nicotine levels to keep people hooked.
The government does not want people to quit smoking.
The proof is they have never tried to control the nicotine levels in cigarettes

A large number of American kids are using legal amphetamines (ritalin Adderall, Vyvanse, Concerta and Dexedrine.......0 that are used for ADHD and ADD.

It is illegal for truck drivers to use amphetamines, but how many teens are driving under the influence of ADD or ADHD meds.

Illegal drugs make the government a lot of money from the taxpayers for prisons, fighting the war on drugs and the money they seize from the drug dealers under asset seizure laws.

blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com...
www.instituteforlegalreform.org...
thenewliberator.wordpress.com...
miami.indymedia.org...
why would the government want to stop illegal drugs.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join