It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even atheists believe the Lies of Religion!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I know this is going to confuse some.

First, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in 'god', as such. Don't go to church, and frankly I find religion to be an affront to the 'god' that I don't believe in.

That said. Yes, there is a being that religions refer to as 'god', but it operates in a time, place, and level that can't be comprehended unless you 'remember' encountering that being. I 'remember', and I know that it's not as painted by religion. That being simply does not care on a personal level. It does not operate as represented.

I don't believe that it rules the universe, that it created the universe, earth, humans, etc...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
So then the Bible is not the word of God? Is there some other book that Christians should use instead?

If you don't believe in the trinity...I'l; respectfully agree to disagree, ok?

Perfect theology is not an entrance requirement into the kingdom...i.e. ...theif on the cross, OT suspects he had some erroneous beliefs, but he ended up ok, right?

You're either with us, or with the terrorists
-- George W. Bush

Ok, so you're gonna steal God out of Bible, steal Jesus out of the Bible, and then make a brand new religion? Smells like a cult to me. You'd have better credibility if you changed the names.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
--

[edit on 25-3-2009 by vcwxvwligen]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

?

Not sure I understand your point. Could you please explain?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Lie 1) The Good go to heaven, the bad go to hell.

I don't agree, we are all sinners. I'm a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'm good. Far from it.

Lie 2) You can earn God’s favor/salvation with your good works

I don't agree. We can perform good works forever and still fall short. Or if we perform enough to succeed, can we then boast and say WE got ourselves to heaven?

Lie 3) Christianity is a bunch of don’ts

I don't agree. It's a bunch of Do's.

Lie 4) Christianity is a made-up myth

Of course I don't agree.

Lie 5) The Church is a building

I don't agree. The church is a gathering. This thread can be a church.

Lie 6) If you are sincere, that’s all that matters

I don't agree with this statement as it stands. Sincere in what? Evil? Righteousness? Beliefs?

Another good thread OT, helps me to reanalyze my beliefs a bit.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen

So then the Bible is not the word of God? Is there some other book that Christians should use instead?

If you don't believe in the trinity...I'l; respectfully agree to disagree, ok?

Perfect theology is not an entrance requirement into the kingdom...i.e. ...theif on the cross, OT suspects he had some erroneous beliefs, but he ended up ok, right?

You're either with us, or with the terrorists
-- George W. Bush

Ok, so you're gonna steal God out of Bible, steal Jesus out of the Bible, and then make a brand new religion? Smells like a cult to me. You'd have better credibility if you changed the names.

Dude,

Are you playing here? What's W have to do with heaven?

OT

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.A.C.
...Another good thread OT, helps me to reanalyze my beliefs a bit.

Yep, Appreciate the props...you are in the minority though
the skeptics abound...

OT

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk
I know this is going to confuse some.

First, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in 'god', as such. Don't go to church, and frankly I find religion to be an affront to the 'god' that I don't believe in.

That said. Yes, there is a being that religions refer to as 'god', but it operates in a time, place, and level that can't be comprehended unless you 'remember' encountering that being. I 'remember', and I know that it's not as painted by religion. That being simply does not care on a personal level. It does not operate as represented.

I don't believe that it rules the universe, that it created the universe, earth, humans, etc...

spacepunk were drunk when you wrote this?

OT

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Lie 2) You can earn God’s favor/salvation with your good works

Part 2 of 6....

News flash folks!!!!

Gettin to heaven is impossible....IF....it's up to you.

Imagine that you only sin 3 times a day....thats only one screw-up every 8 hours....heck I'd be pumped if I was so 'good'

Now take that 3 a day times 7 days a week...time 52 weeks a year....times (say you live) 80 yrs....

THAT'S OVER 80,000 'CRIMES' against the requirement...

What JUDGE would let you go? With 80K offenses? None...you are guilty! I am guilty!

The DEATH penalty is the verdict!

Here's the clincher...

Your lawyer, JC, tells the Judge (father) "I'll go to the electric chair for my client (you) and die for him/her...and pay that offense...

that's what happened 2000 yrs for you...

ru thankful?
because ur guilty! like OT....

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Do you believe the LIES of ‘religion’?

Yep, I bet you do…

No offense intended, most do…if we are honest with ourselves? Slow down and read…and ask yourself, did you think these were true at 1 time????????

If you are saying hypothetically (based on doctrine) unrepentent mortal sinners go to hell but this can vary between dominations.

If you are speaking literally: I do not believe either go to heaven or hell as I do not believe in the concepts.. so why say I do? actually most of your points require belief in god so why would you claim atheists believe them? Most of your points also seem to be based on what you have decided are common misconceptions rather than genuine misconceptions.

and how is this even a conspiracy? ..this belongs in bts.

[edit on 25-3-2009 by riley]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Organized religion itself is a conspiracy apparently. Read the top 10 conspiracies thread.

Anything to do with supporting a religion thus qualifies as a conspiracy. Can't have it both ways....

[edit on 25-3-2009 by B.A.C.]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Do you believe the LIES of ‘religion’?

Yep, I bet you do…

No offense intended, most do…if we are honest with ourselves? Slow down and read…and ask yourself, did you think these were true at 1 time????????

If you are saying hypothetically (based on doctrine) unrepentent mortal sinners go to hell but this can vary between dominations.

If you are speaking literally: I do not believe either go to heaven or hell as I do not believe in the concepts.. so why say I do? actually most of your points require belief in god so why would you claim atheists believe them? Most of your points also seem to be based on what you have decided are common misconceptions rather than genuine misconceptions.

and how is this even a conspiracy? ..this belongs in bts.

Riley, thank you for your time. Have we conversed in the past?

OT

(the second thing to go...is the memory) can't remember the first.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
not really relevent and you didn't answer my post. You said even atheists believe your list of religion lies as well yet even if they did (which they clearly don't given the other answers) that still doesn't make it a conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

?

Not sure I understand your point. Could you please explain?

You accept Jesus and God, but not the Bible? What gives?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

still confused...

where'd I say I don't adhere to the bible....

OT

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

you want to be obstinent...

found another thread man

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

still confused...

where'd I say I don't adhere to the bible....

OT

In the provided links.

They say "Christianity is not this and that," yet those examples are mentioned in the Bible.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You are the one making baseless claims about what atheists believe. You did not back them up, have been told by atheists that you're wrong yet call me obstinent? glass houses n all.

What is the conspiracy?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Lie 4) Christianity is a made-up myth

All of these lies/myths/misinterpretations are backed/supported by the bible…

You said it.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to post by riley

you want to be obstinent...

found another thread man

I do, I do. What gives you the authority to claim that all atheists believed any of the things you listed other than #4????? What are you basing it on? What are you backing it up with? I have seen no actual argument to prove your point, just you insisting you are right.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join