It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US lawmaker: missile threat from Iran exaggerated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

US lawmaker: missile threat from Iran exaggerated

www.bost onherald.com

WASHINGTON — A candidate for a top nonproliferation post in the Obama administration played down today the threat from Iran’s long-range missile program as a reason to build a European missile defense system.

Democratic Rep. Ellen Tauscher is under consideration to be undersecretary of state for arms control and international security, a position that has involved shaping policy on U.S. missile defense plans in Poland and the Czech Republic. As chair of a congressional military appropriation
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Democratic Rep. Ellen Tauscher is under consideration to be undersecretary of state for arms control and international security, a position that has involved shaping policy on U.S. missile defense plans in Poland and the Czech Republic. As chair of a congressional military appropriations panel, she has been a critic of U.S. long-range missile defense systems.

Very interesting article.
Well perhaps not, we all knew this.

But maybe a surprise to some.

"The argument that the U.S. would be naked against an Iranian threat unless we deploy the GMD system in Europe is simply not right," she said, referring to the long range system.

Exactly, this is ridiculous!
Iran never posed a threat and maybe never will to the U.S.
They just are trying to make the littlest of men seem like the biggest danger.

www.bost onherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
So you are relying on the "Testimony" of another one of President Obama's potential Cabinet Appointments? That really speaks mountains of the integrity of this particular individual, or rather the lack of such most likely.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I don't think that there is a 'minimal threat' due to EMP and similar scenarios. However, I don't think the answer is high tech/high cost solutions. Really what's needed is respect for other countries and a return to low tech capabilities. The main reason we are so susceptible to these scenarios is that we have become too reliant on technology.

Having not understood this paradigm, we are following the path of all previous Empires by extending ourselves beyond our means, multiplied by forgetting where we came from.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Since Iran doesn't have a missile that can even reach Europe, let alone double that distance to the US, I don't think we need to worry about EMP or who's testimony it is.

Iran is no threat to Europe or the United States.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
bla bla bla bla.
what was that?
Im sorry I couldnt hear through all the bs.

If you act tough, and talk tough, then prepare to fight tough.
If you dont have the means, then you should just keep your mouth shut.
just my opinion.
After all they gave us "demands" in order to be friends with them after that lovely and touching Obama video(which made me weep btw).
Who provides them with weapons? Oh thats right, Russia. But Russia would never give them actual missles that would work, would they?
nooooooooo.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Iran`s longest range missile is the shahab-3

upload.wikimedia.org...

it doesn`t even reach greece let alone poland (which is 934 miles away) where the interceptors will be located.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Since Iran doesn't have a missile that can even reach Europe, let alone double that distance to the US, I don't think we need to worry about EMP or who's testimony it is.

Iran is no threat to Europe or the United States.

I wouldn't be so sure.

On Monday, February 2, Iran successfully launched a small satellite into low-earth orbit, in what represents a major step forward for the Iranian missile program. Rocket technology is transferable, of course, and the technical ability to place a satellite in low orbit is closely related to the ability to deliver a warhead over a long distance, even intercontinental distance. There are many similarities between the booster technology for missiles and that for space programs. Ballistic missiles are in a sense space weapons, as warheads spend most of their time traveling outside the atmosphere.

www.missilethreat.com...

top topics

join