It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dow jumps almost 500 points

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Dow jumps almost 500 points

money.cnn.com

Stocks surged Monday, recharging the rally, after Treasury's plan to buy up billions in bad bank assets and a better-than-expected existing home sales report raised hopes that the economy is stabilizing.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) gained 497 points, or 6.8%, according to early tallies, posting its biggest one-day point gain since Nov. 21. The S&P 500 (SPX) index rose 54 points, or 7.1%. The Nasdaq composite (COMP) added 99 points, or 6.8%.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Well it's nice to see the market come back up, even if it is because the Government plans to buy out bad assets and make tax payers pay the piper.

When will people realize that none of these things are in our best interest?

But other analysts were less sanguine. "The plan is a rehash of what we've seen before and it still doesn't resolve the issue of how to value the bad assets," said Stephen Leeb, president at Leeb Capital Management.

Seems this guy has the right idea about the whole ordeal. A trillion dollars in bad assets are available to be bought under this plan.

I bet you any money it will be rushed through congress without anybody having time to read the thing.

What say you ATS?

~Keeper

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This must be the "Doomsday" the GOP was warning us about

Bailing out the banks sucks, but the alternatives are worse, simply enough.

The people whose business it is to understand these things get it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This is what inflation does at first. I guess those mocking the warnings given against inflation have never heard of this happening before a total collapse....

People like Gerald Celente also stated this would happen at first, when you infuse the market with more dollars, which are not backed by anything of substance but empty promises....

I guess those mocking the warnings think that "empty promises" will fix completely the economic crisis...

[edit on 23-3-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
if your body temperature keeps fluctuating it means you are sick

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I agree with the above two posts (taken forgranted noone else posts)

But a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Except this nut is more or less just a rock.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Great news.
I guess now that the economy has been fixed, the President can start making tons of TV appearances.

Baracks Mission has been Accomplished!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I feel like an idiot. I replied to you on a different thread. oops I got it right this time.

I agree history is repeating itself I wish I had my 1929 volatility chart in front of me now. It’s matching up almost exactly like the Great Depression crash.

Ive said all along this is a temporary bear market rally. Some are such fools. The market had retested it’s lows more than any time in history.

The smart money got out in Oct. 2007 and they are still sitting on the sidelines. No one has that warm fuzzy feeling to jump in yet, except those who don’t know what the H### is going on.

They must be newbie’s hoping to make a quick buck. If only they knew.

This isn’t the short sellers either. They are smart enough to know better. I expect in April or mid Spring all hell will break loose, both on wall street and main street. If you know what I mean.

FDIC is broke, as the rest of the world. There will also be lots of new regulations with DOW and S&P, not just the bankers. Hedge funds managers are few and far between. Times are rapidly changing.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
1 Trillion just made and pumped into the economy.

1 Trillion Dollars... Not with a M, not with a B.. but with a T....

I heard that the US debt was now almost 4 times its economy.

Is that true?

How on Earth can you pump 1 Trillion into a failing economy and not have a negative impact.

Arent we basically forcing hyperinflation?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
This must be the "Doomsday" the GOP was warning us about

Bailing out the banks sucks, but the alternatives are worse, simply enough.

The people whose business it is to understand these things get it.

I've favorited this post so when it does come time to pay the piper I can throw this post right back in your face a dozen times over.

These people don't get it. They are looking for quick fixes to appease an upset public and see polls rise. They are giving absolutely no thought to what this is going to do 2-3 years from now if even that long. The inflation that these moves are going to cause is going to be tremendous.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
1 Trillion just made and pumped into the economy.

1 Trillion Dollars... Not with a M, not with a B.. but with a T....

I heard that the US debt was now almost 4 times its economy.

Is that true?

How on Earth can you pump 1 Trillion into a failing economy and not have a negative impact.

No. Our current administration believes if you spend enough money with a "T" that eventually you go so far into debt that you must eventually skew the laws of economic reality and come out with a surplus. Took some guy at Harvard to figure that one out.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I can answer your question. There is deflation, stagflation, inflation and last but not least HYPERINFLATION.

Hyperinflation is when it takes a wheel barrel of money to buy a loaf of bread.

That is if we are still using our current currency. that too may be changing soon.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Hyperinflation is how hitler got into power.

It's easy for a dictator to take control while the country is in ruins.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I like Obama, i don't like who's behind (control) him.
The plan is done, the damage is make.
The people are jobs less and the deficit growing.
Now they are smoothing the markets to relief and forget the past, to create a false happiness (that the all gonna be alright again).
The FED said the crises maybe will be over on the end of this year (hum..).

Don't change the channel, because they are strike again when you don't even expect.

and thats all folks, my humble opinions.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I've favorited this post so when it does come time to pay the piper I can throw this post right back in your face a dozen times over.

I'll feel free, when your ideological assumptions are proven faulty and the disaster you seem to crave so much doesn't happen, to throw it right back the other way

It's pretty clear simply from your avatar that whatever response Obama had come up with, you would be opposed to it, because you think he's some kind of a stealth Marxist.

How am even I supposed to take you seriously?

You're a simple political partisan, doing what political partisans do.

Your faith in the inherent truth of your ideological beliefs doesn't require any evidence, and will always give you a way to ignore any contradictory evidence.

Just like a real Marxist. You've come full circle

[edit on 3/23/09 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

I'll feel free, when your ideological assumptions are proven faulty and the disaster you seem to crave so much doesn't happen, to throw it right back the other way

It's pretty clear simply from your avatar that whatever response Obama had come up with, you would be opposed to it, because you think he's some kind of a stealth Marxist.

How am even I supposed to take you seriously?

You're a simple political partisan, doing what political partisans do.

Your faith in the inherent truth of your ideological beliefs doesn't require any evidence, and will always give you a way to ignore any contradictory evidence.

Just like a real Marxist. You've come full circle

[edit on 3/23/09 by xmotex]

I make no bones about showing my disdain for the man based on his policies, but it hasn't stopped me from posting kudos for him when called for. His signaling disapproval for the tax on AIG bonuses was one of the things I applaud him for doing. I'm not sure the tax would be unconstitutional but it certainly should have been in the original paperwork before any companies took the money. To change the rules after money has changed hands smacks of loan sharking!

So you have evidence that says this administration is doing something great for the economy, I'm all ears. Do you really aim to stand by 6 out of the 9 past days of stock market gains as opposed to signing bills since inaurguration which issue spending orders to the tune of trillions of dollars? 6 days of economic growth versus all the jobs lost, all of the damage done, all the credit ruined, all of this money we don't have spent? You call this recovery? You say these people GET IT???? On what basis do you make that claim?

What about breaking his promise on earmarks? What about allowing a man who owed tens of thousands in back taxes to heads the treasury department and not recalling him? What about this president doing things he criticized the previous administration and his opponents for?

So yeah, I've got a problem with the man and the platforms he stands on. I've got a problem with his making promises he knows he can't or won't keep. You say that's a politician? I thought he was supposed to be different???

So I proudly say that I'm not a sheep for Obama or his administration or the mainstream media cheerleaders. I think you cannot say the same.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by sos37]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

What about breaking his promise on earmarks?

He promised he'll reform earmarks, give him time to do so.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leto

Originally posted by sos37

What about breaking his promise on earmarks?

He promised he'll reform earmarks, give him time to do so.

He made that claim prior to signing the first monster stimulus bill that none of the GOP in the House would sign and only two in the Senate votes Yes for. Yet he signed it anyway and it contained many earmarks.

The recent Omnibus Budget contained over 9,000 earmarks.

How much more time should we be giving him to make good on this promise?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
We're saved!

(Hands out Cigars and Beers!)

Budget surplus...here we come!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The key to this problem are the bad assets, that is, housing. The report says there has been a much better sales of existing house than expected. this would indicate that the housing market is stabilising and eventually the value of those assets in the banks' balance sheet would rise again and look good.

I am confident to say that this approach will solve the current economic problem. As far as all those trillions of Dollars that was pumped in the economy, the government will have to come up with drastic monetary policies to curb inflation as soon as the economy recovers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join