It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Army IPK Light Weight Shelter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I wanted a light weight shelter to EDC in my GHB, whislt im normally no longer than 2hrs travel from home by foot my GHB is geared to cater for an unexpected over night stay either in the civilised world or not...

The BA IPK (Individual Protection Kit) consists of an approx 8' x 5' Waterproof olive green sheet, 6 x tubular ally pegs and approx 55' of white paracord type cordage. Cost new less than £5.00 from Fleabay or Military Surplus stores.

Whilst the sheet can be used "as is" by utilising pebbles or Clingons as "tie down points" I wanted a bit more permanency.

My good lady let me get her sewing machine out and after a few trial runs sewing scrap cloth I was ready to go

The issued sheet is unhemmed and thin but very strong unless cut. I Cut a strip of the material off along the width approx 2" long, this gave me a strip approx 5' x 2". I then cut this up into 12 pieces sized 2" x 3". These once folded over gave me 12 reinforcement patches approx 2" x 1 1/2".

I machined a hem all around the sheet using a double running stitch. I then machined a reinforcement patch into each corner (double running stich then diag across the patches). Then added 1 patch to each centre point along the 5' width edges and a further 3 patches along either 8' length edges (length now approx 7' 10").

This means that the reinforced sections are now triple thickness.

I then cut 12 pieces of paracord into 5" lengths, these are doubled over making 12 x 2 1/2" loops and hand stitched together into approx 2" lengths.

Next job was to tack these on the inside of each reinforced patch. I then machined them using a zigzag stictch which I went back and forth about 6 times.

Each reinforced patch and loop was then coated in glue to waterproof the thread.

Job done, my stitchings a bit wonky but I doubt it will fail me.

Sheet, 10 ally camping pegs, 55' of paracord type cordage and 2 bungees and the total weight is 950g!

Total cost about £7.00 tops

What do you carry in your GHB's for shelter? I pack a 2 man tent in the BOB but don't carry that every day.

Rgds

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Star for you!

Can you post a pic? I'd really like to see this. Here in the states I don't know if I've seen anything like that.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
would this be the same kit ya got?
ive eyed that one up for a bit
www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thank you kindly, I will try and post a piccy of my handy work soon, heres a link to the original IPK

www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk...

Rgds

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

Hi, yes thats the kit. Apart from my sewing I replaced the 6 pegs with 12 camping pegs and added 2 bungees.

Rgds

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Looks pretty neat, I don't see any stakes with the kit for criss-crossing, unless it's those tiny pin things.

This must be a newish type of thing as we never had this when I was in the forces (unless it was for the infantry folks).

I use a green tarp/poncho and bungees for my lean-to and its interesting to see the varients that are coming along.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The IPK was introduced in the 70's I believe, mine that I converted was vac sealed and date stamped 1994. Those tubular pegs are hollow and very strong, good for using in soft ground, even better if you drill the hole out a bit to take a bungee.

Rgds

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I saw these recently on a good outdoors website (not going to advertise it here, but PM if you want the site) 10 kits for $20.

I got one for every member of my family.

***edit: they bumped up the price from $15 to $20 today, didn't mean to lead anyone on***

[edit on 24-3-2009 by DropInABucket]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I use a sea to summit poncho. It is remarkably light and small. Made of silite siliconized ripstop. Used as a tarp it withstands the rain and wind as well or better than the U.S. army poncho at less than half the weight and size. It has tie downs already made to it and is designed for this purpose. It is pricey though at $85U.S.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on this. Was thinking of picking something like this up in the back of my mind for awhile now. DropInABucket I sent ya a PM. What did the shipping cost ya??

Edited for me overlooking the obvious

[edit on 24-3-2009 by drift393]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by drift393
What did the shipping cost ya??

It wasn't bad, had a coupon for shipping, I think it was $8-$9 before I used my coupon. Still under $3 a kit isn't bad.

new topics

top topics

join