It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly 100 Tibetan monks arrested as riots break out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk< br />

The attack is the latest sign of anger in Tibet over a heavy-handed Chinese clampdown on the region during the 50th anniversary of the Dalai Lama's flight into exile.

The riot came after Chinese police detained Tibetan monk Tashi Sangpo, 25, on Friday in La'gyab township in the western province of Qinghai.

He was arrested for replacing the Chinese flag with a Tibetan one in the main prayer hall of his monastery on March 10, the anniversary of the uprising that led to the Dalai Lama's flight.

Trouble flared after he later disappeared from his cell and was rumoured to have plunged into a river, prompting accusations from locals that his death had been caused by the police.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
If this does not belong in this part of the forums, please move it.

Apparently Tibetan monk Tashi Sangpo, 25 was thrown to his death in a river in Tibet after he had changed the Chinese flag, for the Tibetan flag on the 10th Anniversary of the Dalai Lama's flight from Tibet.

The Chinese police claims they were not responsible, and that he had escaped by making the excuse of needing to go to the bathroom.

Six monks were arrested, and 89 others had surrendered to the Chinese police.

These monks were just trying to protest peacefully, but as always the Chinese regime clamps down on any sort of protest, even peaceful ones, with violence.

www.telegraph.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-3-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
i think the problem is that buddhism is strictly undebunkable. the closest you can get is to point at sects that go their own way or to point at child abuse scandals by people that claim to be buddhist.

the chinese can't come up with a zeitgeist for buddhism. it's not as easy as making a zeitgeist for chrisitianity or to point out the idiocy of islam. there's no middle ground so they have to head straight in and bash them.

be happy that we had buddhism and the monks that went with it.

long live the words of buddha

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

i think the problem is that buddhism is strictly undebunkable.

Sure you can.

Show me proof that Buddha, just like Christ or Mohammed, ever existed?

The details of his life are primarily known from scriptures published after his death around 400BC, the same way most of Jesus's or Mohammed's life story has been revealed.

Hardly "infallible proof", relying on one sole source published some 2,000 plus years ago.

I'm not playing devil's advocate here but give me a break with the holy-book thumping.

Almost every organised religion can be picked apart to nothing but fragmented stories and wive's tales if you take a good, long hard look at it.

[edit on 23/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
you can also pick apart the existence of the computer that you're using at the moment. you can also dispute the existence of gravity or even the moon. that doesn't mean anything and anyone with any knowledge knows this.

secondly, you cannot fake wisdom. it's easy to point your finger at things that you cannot see, touch, taste, or smell and say that they do not exist but you cannot deny originality.

if you want to debunk buddhism you will have to prove that his ideals are false and that those same ideals were present before the reputed time of buddha's existence.

buddhism is not about buddha.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't see how debunking the Buddhist philosophies relates to the OP, but it is sad that a symbolic flag could cause so much turmoil. Why on earth we have such lack of tolerance for different ideas of metaphysics amazes me. No one has all the answers obviously because there are loop holes in every single one. If one was the RIGHT ONE, no one would have anything to argue about. No one is right. The dead are the only ones who know for sure. And I am not even sure about that.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mozzy

buddhism is not about buddha.

Buddha outlined the "ideals" of Buddhism did he not? Hence if he never existed, those ideals have been fraudulently upheld to have been created by someone who wasn't real.

you can also pick apart the existence of the computer that you're using at the moment. you can also dispute the existence of gravity or even the moon.

Not if your sane.

How else am I communicating with you right now?

The only people who would go that far are delusional radicalists like the "Flat Earth Society".

You can seriously argue with me gravity isn't real.

secondly, you cannot fake wisdom.

Quite naive.

Of course you can. Look at George Bush, he graduated from Yale University via his father's connections.

Is he the epitome of wisdom?

if you want to debunk buddhism you will have to prove that his ideals are false and that those same ideals were present before the reputed time of buddha's existence.

That's all well and good but ideals and morals are inherently subjective and opinionative things that vary from person to person.

You cannot present them as facts. Which is precisely the reason why there are so many organised religions in the world.

People don't agree with other's ideals so they create they're own.

[edit on 23/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
"buddha outlined the ideals of buddhism did he not"

first you say he didn't exist, now he exists. secondly, it's not the same as jesus. for instance, if jesus didn't exist that means he didnt' die for the sins of the world. which has major implications for the religion. if buddha didn't exist that means that someone else came up with those ideas, it reallhy doesn't matter. buddha never asked for anything in return. whether it was a prayer or money or rememberance. nothing at all. you could completely remove him from teh religion and it would still stand.

"not if your sane"

you don't know how to use grammar so i can't expect much else from you.
it's "you're", any 5th grader knows that. secondly, you cannot prove the existence of gravtiy any mroe than you can prove anything's existence. you obviously don't know what i'm talking about. also, gravity can be disputed in a more secular way if that pleases you. look into the electric universe theory and tell me they're all insane.

"quite naive. look at george bush"

now you're just grasping at straws and going off the top of your head. feel free to remove yourself from teh conversation at any time.

your last attempt to save face:

nothing that you said was relevant. whether or not ideas and morals are inherently subjective makes no difference at all. we're talking specifically about what buddha said. not a general idea of what people think morals are. presenting them as facts has nothing to do with anything that's been said and further proves that you're talking out of your azz. just go away.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I made this thread this morning......
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I thought nobody cared!!!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
thank you, back to the OP's point.

my original point was that the chinese are forced to result to physical violence. they can't sway people's opinions of buddhism because buddhism doesn't require anything from anyone that doesn't want to be a part of it. they have to take action to stop free thinking and to try and subdue them.

whether or not buddhism is real has nothing to do with this thread.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

There is evidence to the fact that Siddhartha Gautama existed.

The Historical Siddhartha
The other major challenge to orthodox Vedism was founded by the son of a chief of a region called the Shakyas. This region lay among the foothills of the Himalayas in the farthest northern regions of the plains of India in Nepal. This founder, Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, has many legends and stories that have accreted around his life. While we can't be certain which of these stories and legends are true and which of the thousands of sayings attributed to him were actually said by him, we do know that the basic historical outlines of his life are accurate.

He was the chief's son of a tribal group, the Shakyas, so he was born a Kshatriya around 566 BC. At the age of twenty-nine, he left his family in order to lead an ascetic life. A few years later he reappears with a number of followers; he and his followers devote their lives to "The Middle Way," a lifestyle that is midway between a completely ascetic lifestyle and one that is world-devoted. At some point he gained "enlightenment" and began to preach this new philosophy in the region of Bihar and Uttar Kadesh. His teaching lasted for several decades and he perished at a very old age, somewhere in his eighties. Following his death, only a small group of followers continued in his footsteps. Calling themselves bhikkus , or "disciples," they wandered the countryside in yellow robes (in order to indicate their bhakti , or "devotion" to the master). For almost two hundred years, these followers of Buddha were a small, relatively inconsequential group among an infinite variety of Hindu sects. But when the great Mauryan emperor, Asoka, converted to Buddhism in the third century BC, the young, inconsequential religion spread like wildfire throughout India and beyond. Most significantly, the religion was carried across the Indian Ocean (a short distance, actually) to Sri Lanka. The Buddhists of Sri Lanka maintained the original form of Siddhartha's teachings, or at least, they maintained a form that was most similar to the original. While in the rest of India, and later the world, Buddhism fragmented into a million sects, the original form, called Theravada Buddhism, held its ground in Sri Lanka.

www.wsu.edu...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread. What on earth has a silly argument about Buddhism and the existence (or not) of the Buddha got to do with the following?

Apparently Tibetan monk Tashi Sangpo, 25 was thrown to his death in a river in Tibet after he had changed the Chinese flag, for the Tibetan flag on the 10th Anniversary of the Dalai Lama's flight from Tibet.

Not sure where the above quote came from, but for the record this month marks the 50th anniversary (not the 10th) of the Dalai Lama's enforced exile. During this time the Tibetan people have suffered one of the most brutal occupations in history. Does anyone care to talk about that?

For anyone who's interested, you might want to check the following article.

March 2009 marks the 50th anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising, when 86,000 Tibetans were slaughtered by the occupying Chinese army and the Dalai Lama was forced to flee his homeland....

In the 50 years of China’s brutal occupation of Tibet, more than 6000 monasteries, nunneries and temples, plus their contents, have been summarily destroyed.

Freedom of speech, open press and media, free association, religious expression, political views and ideological opposition to Chinese Communism have all been outlawed, with unspeakable consequences facing those who dare defy the regime.

Open loyalty to the Dalai Lama invokes instant incarceration and torture, often death.

Check out the full totally enlightening article here

Love to hear your ON TOPIC comments...

x

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Please contribute to the previously posted ongoing discussion:

Thread

Closing

Thank you

Semper

new topics

top topics