It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A return of Star Trek to TV?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
This was in imdb today:

Star Trek Set For TV Return?

23 March 2009 9:05 AM, PDT

Cult sci-fi series Star Trek is set for a return to the small screen - a Hollywood writer is looking to produce a new TV show to tie in with the upcoming movie.

The space age series, starring William Shatner, became a cult hit after it first aired in 1966 and has spawned six spin-off shows and 10 films.

A new prequel movie, directed by Lost creator J.J. Abrams, is set to hit cinemas this summer and Pushing Daisies screenwriter Bryan Fuller is hoping to capitalise on the film's success with a new spin-off TV series.

He says, "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trek series and have an idea that I’m kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colours and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the ‘60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin.

"I would love to do it in the same era as the J.J. Abrams movie, but on another starship on a completely different adventure."

Bryan Fuller wrote one of my favorite TV shows, "Pushing Daisies". He would probably do a good job on the series, and it is very possible as he is a top notch name to be attached to it. I wonder if it would be a reboot, or if it would have a different crew?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is the link:

www.imdb.com...

The news changes every day, so this was for March 23, 2009.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Bryan Fuller wrote one of my favorite TV shows, "Pushing Daisies". He would probably do a good job on the series, and it is very possible as he is a top notch name to be attached to it. I wonder if it would be a reboot, or if it would have a different crew?

I miss that show (Pushing Daisies)...real shame it was cancelled... It was very unique, and I can't wait to get it on DVD.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That is one reason I am excited by the Star Trek news. The fact that Bryan Fuller will be attached is a great asset.

ABC has yet to air the remaining three episodes of "Pushing Daisies". I expect them to air the rest during the summer. At least they did renew it, and we will have 22 episodes of the show to enjoy. I still keep hoping some cable channel will pick it up, but it does cost a lot of money to produce. If it does well on DVD sales, it may come back for 13 episode seasons on cable.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have liked the Star Treck movies and shows. I don't know if a pre quil movie will really do well at the box office though. I would really prefer another movie with the current cast and characters. However as far as the next movie and series goes, i cant help but wonder what he meant when he said, return to the fun of the sixties. What I rember about the original series is it was a whole lot more violent then the new shows. So is that what the new show is suppose to be like?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I think the reboot of the Star Trek series is what is needed. The Next Generation films never caught on with the exception of First Contact. The other three the NG cast made were mediocre at best.

I have seen the ads of the movie, and it may be one I actually will try to see at a cinema.

I also like how the possible new series would be a tribute to the science fiction shows of the 1960s, without the corniness. I want to see the old Enterprise fly again.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I don't particularly want to see the old enterprise fly again. I watched the prequel show that was on a few years back. It was not that great, but i watched it because I like the genera. I would prefer to see the next generation continue with what ever spin off they want to bring up next.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

The problem is the Next Generation series had a combined total of 21 seasons of more than 400 episodes. The classic era only had three seasons of 79 episodes. I think the well is dry on the NG era, and I would love to see a revitalized look of the show I grew up on.

People thought that the Next Generation was a terrible idea, and that the show would bomb. I love the NG, and especially Deep Space Nine. But I do think it is time to reboot the genre, and give it a fresh look from a different writing and producing team.

Give it a chance, like us older fans did for the Next Generation. It may surprise you, and you may like it.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I will probably watch it weather I like that much or I don't. The first pre quill series lasted two or three seasons if I rember right. Not that great compared with the twenty one combined seasons of the next generation. I do agree they can re boot the genera. I just don't necessarily think another pre quill is the way to do it.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
My thoughts in a possible reboot would be not to do the Enterprise. Different ship, cast, etc. Who says that the Enterprise had all the fun? Sure the Enterprise had a knack for being in the center of things but why not? This would allow for the 60's style fun but yet allow a lot more freedom.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

The Enterprise would give the series continuity. The cast could also have some different members as it could either be before the Classic Series or just after.

I was not a fan of the prequel, as the stories didn't seem to care about continuity by then. The casting was good, but the writing was not.

I want to see the Classic Enterprise fly again, not some other ship.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

True it would give continuity. However to the best of my recollection a lot of continuity was tossed out of the window when the movie series started. One thing that I've noticed is that there are a number of Fan made flicks being made. Notable that of Star Trek: Phase II This series takes place during the 5th year (which was cancelled). Their first episode was all right I guess more of a Demo really, but subsequent episodes have been vastly improved and the ironic thing is that they've attracted some heavy hitters to work with them on some of them. Notably George Takei, Walter Keonig, and D.C. Fontana among others. You might wish to check them out.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

With continuity thrown out the window by the movies and newer series, it does make sense to do a complete reboot from the start. The series can have its own universe and do things differently than the original series. Older fans would like the nostalgia, and it could be a starting point for newer fans.

I have heard of the sites in which the other cast members appear in mini episodes. I wonder if they spent the time off camera bad mouthing Bill Shatner?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
ok, I'll grant that a complete reboot might work out that is assuming that it's done right. Unfortunately, there would be people who wouldn't be happy no matter what changes were made in the Reboot potential. The big question would be is trying to decide at what point things to throw out and what to keep? With the spectrum of opinion so vast as far as what is "canon" and what isn't, I figure that there will always be people who won't be happy.

The nearest thing that I can figure is that any bad mouthing of Bill Shatner seems to have died out a lot over the last couple of decades. Who knows, some of it might be justified to a degree. I've also noticed that Bill isn't taking himself as seriously as he used to. I doubt that other actors getting involved in "mini-Projects" like this is a direct result of any Shatner bashing. As it is I haven't really heard of anything recently that would indicate it.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

There will always be people who hate the new series or something different. Some will hate it without even watching it. I do know some people like that: "I hate that show." "Did you watch it?" "No, but I know I will hate it." Bryan Fuller has had success with the first season of "Heroes" and his short run series "Pushing Daisies". I trust he will be just what the new series needs.

I added the Shatner bashing as a joke. It did seem like for a while the supporting role cast members were always badmouthing Bill. I had read a few autobiographies, and they were all upset because of Bill's ego. I would just tell them to get over it and consider themselves lucky to have appeared in a series that let them make tons of money on the convention circuit (they do get paid for appearances). Bill is in his seventies, and has three successful TV shows under his belt (TJ Hooker ran for five seasons!). He has mellowed quite a bit and agrees he could of acted better toward their feelings. I do wish ABC would have kept "Boston Legal" on, as Bill was great as Denny Crane.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think it would have to be another ship. Surely, Kirk wasn't the only Starfleet captain blazing a path through the galaxy.....

They tried already with the pre-series Enterprise, Scott Bakula, remember? It was ok, but didn't really take off...

The original series' crew's story has been told, let's see a different tale...imho.....(then you also don't have to worry about messing with the whole mythos)....

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Well you wouldn't have to worry about the continuum between the new series and any of the other Enterprises. But you would still have to maintain some sort of continuum with the Star Trek universe. Unless they try to pull a ST-Voyager, in which they screwed it all up.

I would be psyched to watch a new series though. It was a good find Flash, and btw thanks for the add

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SemperParatusRJCC

I know Paramount just greenlit a movie sequel. For those older Star Trek fans like me, Paramount never greenlit Star Trek films until after a while it was released. To do so before the movie has been released shows Paramount has faith with it.

I would think the new series would be a total reboot of the Kirk/Spock years. It could start from scratch, and ignore the previous series timelines and continuity. I have not heard anything new about the TV aspects, but considering the movie is set to do well internationally, I would think Paramount would make a decision soon on the franchise.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I hope they do. I grew up on it. TOS, NTG, DS9, and STV all at once ^^

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
There has been a lot of rumblings for some time among the ST that there hasn't been anything.

Enterprise just didn't catch on. Though in a different, time, too much of the same thing.

I didn't watch it cuz I couldn't get past the bad theme song and Scot BAkula.

But I have started watching reruns on sci fi for ANY new ST input and I am surprised that it was actually better then I thought. I had heard it started off slow but picked up.

I think they need to get past the ship captain thing. And do it from another angle.

I always thought that there should be a rebel group against the federation. And that rebel group should be led by Wesly Crusher. a civil war of sorts

I am very excited about the new movie. That and the m-men origins movie.

ACK there are not enough babysitters!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join