It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activist Arrested For Feeding Homeless At Lake Eola

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

WHAT!!!??? This is an outrage, so essentially the law says that it is illegal to save a person from starving to death if you've already saved 25 others. What kind of psychopaths make these rules?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by brengizzle

I thought the ruling elite strongly encourages depopulation by first getting rid of what they think is the scum of Earth - this includes the poor countries (mostly Africa, some in Asia, and some in Latin America) and the poor within the developed and developing countries (i.e. the homeless).

This law could just be another push towards depopulation. If the law becomes successful in Florida, then why not expand it nationwide? It's sick.

No feeding homeless people means they will starve. The more that starve, the closer the ruling elite is moving towards their dream of depopulation.

If you watched the Endgame by Alex Jones, you will remember all the quotes from different world leaders including Henry Kissinger and of course David Rockefeller about their strong support for depopulation.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

While I was homeless I saw a few things that I found to be the problem. On Sunday a local church group would go to a park near the river and feed the homeless at around 2:30 in the afternoon. They did this on purpose, the reason, the soup kitchen would be done feeding people at by that time and the homeless would have enough time to go down to the river and get another meal by the church group.

The soup kitchen had plenty of food to offer everyone. People in the morning would wait there and they would start letting people in around 11:00 everyone in line would get fed. Then they would go to the river and get a second meal.

Honestly I ate better when I was homeless than I do now. It was a complete routine for some people and they had it timed so they could even get breakfast at a church, lunch at the soup kitchen, then dinner at the Salvation Army every evening. If you have no reason to try to help yourself, why should you?

What Orlando did in my opinion was right. What happened at the park down by the river was when the homeless got done eating the place was a complete mess. More and more people started going to the park looking for the free second lunch.

Of course then there was the free shuttle to the beach on Sunday
At first the Island sent out one of their trolley buses to pick people up, but after a while there were so many homeless people, they had to start using a city bus to shuttle people to and from the beach.

There's no problem with helping out people, but what I am against is people helping out when it is redundant and wasteful. This guy could have helped out the same exact way by donating his time and food to the local soup kitchen in Orlando and so he would be doing the exact same thing but in a more organized way.

It took me 9 months to get out of that life. The reason it took me so long is that I started falling into that trap myself. I slept at the Salvation Army shelter every night, woke up in the morning, went to the day labor place, and got fed everywhere. I would look for work on the weekends when the day labor place was closed.

I finally got a job when as a joke (and sort of a protest against lazy homeless people) I started flying a sign that said "Will work for a Vegas vacation" A manager of a 7/11 thought the sign was so funny he told me to apply online and request his store.

Yes I still agree with Orlando. There is opportunities for this selfless individual to help out the homeless. I don't think he should be punished for helping out the homeless, what he should have done however is volunteer his time and food to local organizations that help the homeless. It is needed and wanted.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

Activist Arrested For Feeding Homeless At Lake Eola

www.wftv.com

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A man was thrown in jail for trying to help the homeless and, he said, he's willing to do it again. Eric Montanez bonded out of jail, Thursday.

Montanez was charged with violating Orlando's new city ordinance that bans feeding homeless people gathered in a large group. The arrested activist told Eyewitness News he'll keep fighting.

Police said Montanez, 21, with the group Food Not Bombs, broke the law by feeding more than 25 people, as Orlando's ordinance allows, inside Lake Eola's park on Wednesday. But Montanez is insistent he did nothing wrong.

"It is not against the law to feed people as much as they want to criminalize the help of the homelessness," he told Eyewitness News.

Undercover officers worked surveillance and counted how many people Montanez fed, 30. Police even took some stew served, as evidence.

Montanez said the city reversed its position after saying it wouldn't try to enforce the ordinance until the ACLU lawsuit worked its way through the courts.

An affidavit said Montanez was only arrested because he attempted to conceal his identity and threw his ID.

"I had it in my hand. They cuffed me and they dragged me off. I can't hold onto things with handcuffs on my hands," he said.

"There are a lot better things for law enforcement to be doing in this town. This was an outrage," said George Crossley, Central Florida ACLU.

The mayor's office did not respond to calls from Eyewitness News on Thursday. Orlando police said they are simply enforcing the laws. But the ACLU claims it's just another example of the harassment it endures, as its group and several others try to help those in need.

The ACLU believes the ordinance itself is unconstitutional. Homeless supporters had gotten around the law by having several groups present, with each not feeding more than 25 people.

Montanez said he won't be scared off.

"You'll see me out there," he said.

Montanez faces a misdemeanor charge for feeding a large group in a city-owned park. According to police, no organization had obtained the required permit for Wednesday's group feeding.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-3-2009 by djzombie]

you know the world is diving deeper into the darkness when Angels get there wings clipped for trying to do acts of good deeds.

Unless the "stew" had illegal narcotics in it , I think this will be thrown out of court.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Of course this law would be passed.

All the people who passed this law, are probably rich and powerful, and the don't like seeing poverty around them.

It's easy to hate something that is different from you.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I had to do some more thinking about this story and what I would do to get justice in the short hand in it as well as find all the people easliy that helped this sad state of affairs to foster. First Someone that has already commited a crime that is in jail or that is about to do something along the lines of community service needs to go in front of the judge and insist upon community service to feed the homeless.

A moron judge without thinking about it gives the man say 100 or more or less hours of community service feeding the homeless all of a sudden you have grounds to disbar the judge under estoppel and for violating his own oath of office to uphold the so called law. If you cant compel someone to feed the poor or homeless by community service. Then you cant be arrested for it either and the man that gets sentanced to do it does it before or after the fact the judge can also be hit with disbarment for a unfair and and unjust ruling causing his dismissal. This will also kill 2 birds with one stone getting the man who was arrested off the hook with the city and state.

That or I may just have to start a blog somewhere of how to bring down towns, citys, states, and governments in less then a year with little or no action. Its really quite estonishing that any state or any city can get away with this without rioting or some kind of mass demonstration. Thats ok like I have said many times so far its not going to take much more of this any where in or outside of this country before riots start up.

On a side not just for the record the first large scale protests under bush took 3 years why bush was in office before people started to protest for instance the war and things like the patriot act. Its almost april and the first organized protests over spending are taking place "3 months" after this president has taken office.

Thats a 2 year and 9 month differance in time. I have no idea if the upcomming rallys will get violent or will get any media attention but its not just the people that dont work for government itself anymore its people within the government itself that also have had enough in every agency.

They just are not organised yet. Yet being the word.

Falcon

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
ok, gonna have to play devils advocate here. Is it wonderful this man wants to help the homeless? Absolutely.
Does it suck he is arrested? yes.

But.....

basically feeding homeless people in large groups is like running a business or a restaurant or a soup kitchen. Most likely he doesn't have a permit... nothing.

So do you really want an untrained person feeding large groups of people who knows what?

What if the food is contaminated? Then you have 200 sick homeless people flooding the emergency room. Who is gonna foot the bill?

If he really wants to help.. volunteer, make donations, get the proper license.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
ok, gonna have to play devils advocate here. Is it wonderful this man wants to help the homeless? Absolutely.
Does it suck he is arrested? yes.

But.....

basically feeding homeless people in large groups is like running a business or a restaurant or a soup kitchen. Most likely he doesn't have a permit... nothing.

So do you really want an untrained person feeding large groups of people who knows what?

What if the food is contaminated? Then you have 200 sick homeless people flooding the emergency room. Who is gonna foot the bill?

If he really wants to help.. volunteer, make donations, get the proper license.

Good point!

I didn't even look at it that way.
You have changed my perspective on this subject.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
What a BS law.

What are they..
Homeless people
Or a bunch of wild animals?

/rage

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

This is pretty old, actually.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
appears this old news is making a comeback ... from today, 6/12/11
looks like we are headed directly on a collision course with human nature.
got me wondering ... if the items served were formed from making "stone soup", who would be 'accountable'?, the entire community or perhaps just the Mayor and his/her minions????

Orlando police arrested five more activists from behind a makeshift buffet table at Lake Eola Park on Wednesday evening, bringing to a dozen the number charged in the past week with violating city restrictions on feeding the homeless.

The members of the group "Food Not Bombs" were ladling out corn on the cob, rice, beans and watermelon to about 35 people when they were handcuffed. About two dozen activists and homeless people booed and chanted "Food is a right, not a privilege" as they were loaded into a waiting police van.
source: ______beforeitsnews/story/710/294/Police_Arrest_Five_Activists_For_Feeding_Homeless_2011.html

speaking of 'permits' (as some noted should be the 'right' way to serve food) ... where are the permits or proper preparation protocols for church pot-luck dinners? or street-side vendors (of which there are many non-permitted operators here in FL) or the various (and often illegal) fruit pickers who sell out of the back of their trucks everywhere, or maybe the local bake sales that benefit groups like student bodies, girl/boy scouts, after-school programs and the like? why aren't these people hauled off to jail also ??? No permit, no legal right to serve a darn thing, correct ????
edit on 12-6-2011 by Honor93 because: add after-thought

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Sad that it's happening again. Good catch.

I did a quick search for soup kitchens in Orlando but couldn't find any info on whether they operate regularly (the ones associated with ministries.) Food pantries are more prevalent, but of course they offer services to those who already have a place.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I am glad to see a regular flow of protestors to this law, going there feeding the homeless, I hope that this will be kept up.... Hey, being arrested for a good cause, could be fun, right?

But yeah, I truly hope, people keep going there, despite the law, and feeding these people... Ignoring the homeless will not fix the problem.... Which is what they are trying to do... Starve them so they go some where else... But damnit... These are human beings and they deserve to be treated as such.

Keep it up....I wish I lived there, I would go do the same thing.... I hope others continue until the justice system gets it and reverses this law.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Wow, Jesus is said to have fed 5000 people once. I guess he would get life in prison in Florida for this supposed act. What the hell kind of law is this those folks down there have created? In Lexington, KY there are groups of homeless much higher in number than this who meet in a city park in the evening and people come by and feed them.

What city park is this?

Right now there are people in Lexington, KY trying to shut down the homeless shelter.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join