It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activist Arrested For Feeding Homeless At Lake Eola

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Orlando is a tourist(well government terroist it seems) destination. It's simple(if people actually stuck together), boycott orlando over this and watch the city change it's postion when they lose the revenue. The next terrorist to feed a homeless person will go with out be followed becasue the city won't have the revenue. Then again police states always find the means to supress.

Anyways, absolutly disgusting and with myself just starting a family I will not be giving orlando my worthless dollars any time near in the future.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Food Not Bombs is a hazard to national security.
Activists = Terrorists, you guys didn't get the memo?

[sarcasm OFF]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Montanez was charged with violating Orlando's new city ordinance that bans feeding homeless people gathered in a large group. The arrested activist told Eyewitness News he'll keep fighting.

Honestly put yourself in his or her shoes. Would you refuse free food or would you call the cops for violation of city ordinance.

We are oft to blame in this,--
'Tis too much proved--that with devotion's visage
And pious action we do sugar o'er
The devil himself.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mattrptech

This was a reply to the mayor.

I am new to this. But honestly how many people cant see past their own greed and agendas. What is needed to shift the main focus of the populace.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
And this story here is why this story here is the reason why for many years now I have gone against and spoken out against this government. Its one thing to go after a a rapist, murderer, or someone who really breaks the law but this is why this government needs to be over thrown.

Im almost done with my bill ive been working on for congress. I have worked on it now for almost a month and I will be posting it here as its title is The Citizens Right to Succeed from the State Act of 2009. I dont care how much money this or another government wants to spend or what kind of laws it want to pass. The people running this and other governments better be very careful.

I have had people from every major university not limited to yale, stanford, princeton, oxford and others come to me with legal matters they didnt know how to settle themselves especially when it deals with matters surrounding the 14th amendment and Citizens rights. I cant speak for them or what the ACLU or ACLJ both as far as im concirned dont know the first thing about representing anyone in court but I have never lost a case ever.

The first thing I would do in a case like this is strip the power of the city that did it by taking away there city funding until grievances like this and others in the city stop. Or until such time they learn there lesson that actions like this are not only unwarrented and unjust they can be sued by someone that knows what there doing when going up against a city or state employee or U.S. Gov.

Its actions like this and continuing actions like this that are going to prevoke the citizens that live here in this and other countries to start to enforce matters on there own with things like the second amendment or worse.

And why the people in the State and City that did this think there getting away with things like this now im just one person that knows the legal system so much I cost ashcroft and rumsfeld there jobs. I didnt get rummy to be terminated by he resigned the moment he knew he was liable for actions he and others did in the illegal and still operating prisons world wide.

I might be only one person trying to do the right thing but im not alone and why its taken years of presenting evidence here at ats and other places its not going to take too many more actions by this government and its so called elected people before we get closer to a civil war.

There are alot of people that may want that but killing people because you disagree with there ideas doesnt make you any different then the ideas your trying to impose it makes you the same. Government employee's that conduct actions like this need to think about the after the fact actions before they go to conduct themselves in this type and other matters.

I have been here for 8 + years going back to the ezboard days. I have seen children sold on ebay, people try to crusify themselves, government inaction and unnessarry action all over the world but I can safely say this has to be a all time low as far as any action I have see any law enforcement do for a long time. Arresting someone for feeding a homeless person what happens if the economy gets worse and these law enforcement people lose there jobs whos going to feed you people then.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this story to everyones attention.

Thats my 2 cents for now.

Falcon

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

Really? I have been to Lexington, it is a nice city. I had no idea so many homeless were in Lex.

I live in Louisville, and I know we have a homeless problem. This is making me sad, I am going to have to do something about it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

Uh... how about we fire these officers. Better yet, fire those who made this ordinance. They aren't pigeons, they're people. Go f@ yourselves authority. Guess it is like that simpsons episode. They can only enforce the last law made. What scum.
Way to protect.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Myendica]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganizedChaos

Thanks so much for the link. I'm glad to see that reason prevailed in this case. I'm sure if the need was such in 2006 that it would be even greater today.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
Hold on a second.

While I am all for helping those in need, there are better ways to go about it than this.

These people were gathered at a public park. Public. Meaning everyone has a right to gather and use this land. Homeless, families, fishermen, what have you.

Should it be known that if you are homeless and hungry, come here and you will be fed, the place would be overrun. So much for use by all. I certainly wouldnt want to have a family day picnic with 3000 homeless. Just not my idea of a relaxing afternoon.

On a different note, if this guy really wants to help out, instead of breaking the law, he could simply invite everyone to his house and feed them there. No laws on the books about that. He gets his wish to help people, and the park is again free for everyones enjoyment.

Just as you said, it's a public park and everyone has a right to use it, including the homeless. If you wouldn't want to spend your family day picnic around homeless people that is your right, you can always go some place else.

How sad that you would deny hungry people food to eat so that you (who has a home and obviously enough food) can have a family picnic
in this economy with people losing homes and jobs left and right you're more concerned with a family picnic than the well being of your fellow man

There should be no such law for him to break. Only a self centered, heartless person with no decent morals or values would allow a law like that to be passed, or accept a law like that.

All this law is. is preparedness for the day when they start issuing chips, or numbers for people to receive their rations, and those who dare to help those who refuse will be imprisoned or worse.

Edited to add:

There is an old saying; There but for the grace of God go i, maybe you should take heed.

[edit on 23/3/09 by chise61]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by djzombie

I can't decide which part is the most disturbing:

This one:

Police said Montanez, 21, with the group Food Not Bombs, broke the law by feeding more than 25 people, as Orlando's ordinance allows, inside Lake Eola's park on Wednesday. But Montanez is insistent he did nothing wrong.

This part:

Undercover officers worked surveillance and counted how many people Montanez fed, 30. Police even took some stew served, as evidence.

Or this part:

An affidavit said Montanez was only arrested because he attempted to conceal his identity and threw his ID.

"I had it in my hand. They cuffed me and they dragged me off. I can't hold onto things with handcuffs on my hands," he said.

Or finally this part: (which perhaps sums it all up)

Montanez faces a misdemeanor charge for feeding a large group in a city-owned park. According to police, no organization had obtained the required permit for Wednesday's group feeding.

Those of you who consistently look down on the ACLU should realize that there is no bias, if rights are infringed upon...they go into action! It could be the KKK, it could be an innercity school teacher, a gay schoolkid, or a religious worker....they don't judge, the defend those who are wrongly judged.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyr Sog

That's a great idea man, except I'm sure eventually they'll say organized boycotting is a terrorist act and the "real problem of the U.S." It obvious that they don't follow the constitution anymore, perhaps we should write a new 1 on the front of the white house.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

Try reading the article again and omit the word homeless and insert Klu Klux Klan. They are the public as well, how would you feel if this guy was bringing them crosses and 5 gallon pails of gas? Would that be okay to you?

Should the homeless have a right to use a public park, sure, do you or I, yes, does a Klansman, I would say he does. Now 50 clansmen who hear of free wood and gas and sheets gathering is a different matter all together.

Are you actually comparing hungry, homeless people to the KKK ?! Comparing a person that is bringing them much needed food to someone supplying the KKK with crosses, sheets, and gas ?!

You're right 50 clansmen gathering to the promise of free crosses, sheets, and gas, IS a totally different matter than homeless people gathering to receive food to keep them alive.

I'm trying to understand your train of thought here, but i just can't, thankfully.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This is ridiculous! Since when is being kind and helping someone out a crime?! I live 45 mins from Orlando and they could spend that time catching all the drug activity and crime there instead of someone helping out a bunch of people.
This really bothers me. There are people losing their homes all over and many become homeless. Now helping those who are suffering is a crime?! They need to find something else better to do with their time.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
This is the future... We are out of work homeless and hungry... A man tries to feed us but he is arrested and jailed... at this point we are driven off or put in a detention center where the powers that be can more easily feed us... effing bleak... just really bleak man... lets raise a stink really before its to late...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I agree with Mr.Lizard...the people who pushed a law like this through should be rid of their job.

If someone wants to use their own money and out of the goodness of their heart, and feed the homeless, that is FINE BY ME.

Not all of us are that generous or give a crap, but this is just unmoral to PREVENT such an act from those who wish to do so at their own disposal. SICK.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I may be out there next weekend with this man, he's right round my neck o the woods.

What a shame, we live in a day and age where someone will get arrested for feeding too many people.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This story reared its head during an expansion phase for Downtown Orlando. Trying to draw in upper middleclass execs to buy condos around the lake and whatnot. Orlando has been and is continuing to push the "dregs" of our town as far away from the city center as they can. They have just annexed areas just outside as well as inside our Parramore ( is a well-known mostly african american community that suffers the same plight as other low-income areas,)district where they are building a "brand-spanking" new arena for the Orlando Magic. Alot of this was pushed by the tourist lobby, namely Disney behind the scenes. While Mr. Montanez no longer does his deeds in the park, he was donated use of a small building on the very edge of downtown proper, this ugliness towards the homeless and lower incomed will not cease here. Everything here is financed, pushed and decided upon by well-off, religious zealot,retired snowbirds and Disney execs.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

Activist Arrested For Feeding Homeless At Lake Eola

www.wftv.com

Undercover officers worked surveillance and counted how many people Montanez fed, 30. Police even took some stew served, as evidence.

So, the city or the State or a Country has enough money to be hiring people to count how many homeless you feed but it doesn't have enough money to feed these homeless?

Isn't there something wrong with this picture???

It is not only our monetary system that might be showing signs of a potential collapse, it is our society that is collapsing.
Things never before seen since the dawn of our civilization, absurd things, illogical things, paranoid things are happening all around us and we support this paranoia with laws.

Indeed we are venturing in an uncharted territory. We never experienced a period in human history where every ounce of humanity seemed that it was vanishing with rapid paces.
Lets not kid ourselves, all evidence is slowly accumulating and is pointing out that this is a new era of uncertainty and pain that is dawning on all of us. it will finally become a reality if we don't stand up and collectively decide that we must do something about it.

Today was those homeless that starved and that man that was arrested for feeding them, tomorrow it will be YOU and ME in a potential situation that might be hard to predict from this point in time.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Wow, just goes to show that you can't do community service for the homeless as an individual on a VOLUNTARY basis.

Guess you'll only be able to do it by enforcement of the Obama community service that the government can take credit for.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Sounds like the same thing our esteemed Mayor Daley
did here in Chicago when they built the united center for the Bulls years ago when they were hot. Isn't it disgusting to find out what the politicians real priorities are.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join