It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British troops 'may have to stay 10 years to keep order'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by COOL HAND
That is not true. Where did you hear that from???

We train for urban combat all of the time. We are one of the few armies in the world with MOUT training.

the army may train for urban combat, but their skills are below par

This is just plain wrong. Did you see the movie Black Hawk Down...you know - Somalia. We lost 18 soldiers - they lost over a thousand. You do the math on the kill ratio.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
yes and most of the people the yanks killed weren't a threat
Yeah i watched black hawk down, but i watched the documentries about it too. The troops admitted that they got things wrong, a simple operation turned into a nightmare. No body can train for urban warfare 'cause you cannot tell what sort enviroment your fighting in, the layout of towns etc.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Did you see the movie Black Hawk Down...you know - Somalia. We lost 18 soldiers - they lost over a thousand

Yes 18 people died in the film, but more died in real life. Do me a favour and watch the documentries not the films

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
UK had a nightmare in northern ireland, my dad was posted there. Its not bad as iraq,but its a perfect example that you can't predict urban warfare.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Hate to tell you this but:
1. We did not need your help, but it was appreciated
2. We did not convince you to go with us into Iraq. We shared intelligence and made the same determination.

Don't blame the US for the UK's involvement. Blame your own government.

Let's not forget that we are also allies who have pledged to help each other out whenever possible.

Thank You! It irritates me when I hear the words "America's War on Terrorism" It is not America's. It is the World's.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to fight with us against the enemies, fine. We might assume you want to fight against us and some future time.

For all the Brits on this board...just to let you know that at least one American on this board doesn't agree with what her 'Fellow Americans' think.

Quite frankly I think there is an overabundance of testosterone floating around the water we Americans are forced to drink. I refuse to buy into the 'video-game, let's kiss some ass' bravado and blather that an awful lot of Americans insist on.

Once again, I must quote the Great George Carlin here. Americas idea of war = the bigger Dick theory (two bad you Brits don't know who he is, he's awesome).

Anyhoo...just my 2 pennies.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
quick note, the worlds war on terrorism started long ago before America on board. America was still backing terrorist when france was fighting it.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
back to the original issue here, at least 10 years of occupation should have been expected by the Brits and the Americans when they initially planned the invasion of Iraq. I can't understand how they planned to bomb a country, throw it into turmoil and expect to be able to leave any sooner. The administrations involved in committing these two countries to war, knew fully well what would happen..the biggest mistake George Bush made was declaring the war on Iraq over when he did his little fly and landing stunt on that aircraft carrier.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

For all the Brits on this board...just to let you know that at least one American on this board doesn't agree with what her 'Fellow Americans' think.....
Once again, I must quote the Great George Carlin here. Americas idea of war = the bigger Dick theory

I guess my greatest fear is that the terrorists will turn America and her Allies into weinies over this. (forgive the pun) If we don't remain firm and act with resolve, our children will have us to blame.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo
I guess my greatest fear is that the terrorists will turn America and her Allies into weinies over this. (forgive the pun) If we don't remain firm and act with resolve, our children will have us to blame.

Your children should already blame you, and the bunch of idiots who allowed our gov't to turn into the incompetent bunch of feel good, law making, privacy invading, meddling, control freaks they are. If they don't blame you, they will when they're old enough. Maybe you're under the impression that America is still America? It hasn't been our country for a long time now. We just live here. America is the Borg.

[Edited on 4-20-2004 by Satyr]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join