It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After it is built!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So, you built your BoB or INCH bag. Have you carried it on a long hike yet? Have you used any of the items in it to realize the quality of the item? Have you let it sit for a while and then checked the conditions of the contents?

I ask these questions because for me, my bags are a constantly updating process. I used to carry a tent until I realized that for the protection it affords, it is not worth the weight. At the same time I thought that there had to be a better alternative to a plain old tarp. Now I carry a military surplus casualty blanket. It is a 6' X 8' tarp that is olive drab on one side, and has a reflective side like an emergency blanket. It has so many more uses and weighs so much less than the tent.

I used to carry a small saw, the wire kind, until I found out that it won't last very long when used. I switched that out for a folding saw. But after doing these things for a while I realized that the more uses an item has the better off I am. I now use a sawback machete. I can saw with it as well as a folding saw, I can chop with it, I can use it as a weapon if needed.

I no longer carry anything that requires batterys. If it can't be powered by what nature or I supply, I wont pack it.

Anyway I just thought I'd throw out a few of my epiphanys out there and hope you will share yours.

Spiritowl

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Could you possibly list the things within your actual B.O.B ?

You seem to have a nice understanding of right and wrong items and with your trials you have made it an renovating process. I have not yet assembled one but if I had a good list I'd probably go out and establish one. When and If that occurs Id be more than happy to share my trials as well.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritowl

I would argue over the tent. I myself have both a tarp and a tent in my bag. The tent i have is only a two season one, it is incredibly light. Whilst it may sound useless in a winter it keeps off rain, snow, frost and stops all wind. That is a massive advantage. Even if it is only two seasons it's still a big help when used alongside my full season sleeping bag. Getting a cheap, lightweight tent is a good thing.

As for your machete, someone on ATS linked a really nice hand powered chainsaw thing. I bought one myself and it is absolutely incredible. I tested it sawing through 1 foot thick logs and it made short work of them. A machete is good but using it to cut through thick hardwood will test it, even with a serrated side. I'd suggest you check over the threads and find the hand powered chainsaw one. I have mine curled up in one of my mess tins to save space.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
So, you built your BoB or INCH bag. Have you carried it on a long hike yet? Have you used any of the items in it to realize the quality of the item? Have you let it sit for a while and then checked the conditions of the contents?

I ask these questions because for me, my bags are a constantly updating process. I used to carry a tent until I realized that for the protection it affords, it is not worth the weight. At the same time I thought that there had to be a better alternative to a plain old tarp. Now I carry a military surplus casualty blanket. It is a 6' X 8' tarp that is olive drab on one side, and has a reflective side like an emergency blanket. It has so many more uses and weighs so much less than the tent.

I used to carry a small saw, the wire kind, until I found out that it won't last very long when used. I switched that out for a folding saw. But after doing these things for a while I realized that the more uses an item has the better off I am. I now use a sawback machete. I can saw with it as well as a folding saw, I can chop with it, I can use it as a weapon if needed.

I no longer carry anything that requires batterys. If it can't be powered by what nature or I supply, I wont pack it.

Anyway I just thought I'd throw out a few of my epiphanys out there and hope you will share yours.

Spiritowl

I to dropped the wire saw, and got a small folding Fiskers wood saw, AND the best thing ever after much thought, A pair of Secatuers, ideal for cutting wood up to an inch thick for fires ( secatuers = pruning sheers in Americanese)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Lastman - There are a ton of lists already posted here of what to pack in a BoB.

Imaginary- Yes the tent is good, but I figure if i'm going to grab my inch bag and go, I want something with a little more protection. Shelters are not that hard to build. The chainsaws are nice, but I fall back to the multi use factor once again, for heavy cutting I have an Estwing axe.

NR- I can see the use for the secatuers I can't justify the weight for a bag. Vechicle maybe but not the bag.

Another thing I switched, I used to pack all clothing into ziplock type bags. I found they are not very sturdy long term, so I switched to dry sacks and a float bag. For the multi use theme, the float bag can be used to hold a large quantity of water if needed. I still keep the ziplock bags for paper items, and have a few empty ones in the bag.

Please keep in mind I feel that all bags are situational, for example my INCH bag is set up for my location. 6000' above sea level does not have the same requirements as a sea level desert.

Spiritowl

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Originally posted by Spiritowl

Spiritowl

I to dropped the wire saw, and got a small folding Fiskers wood saw, AND the best thing ever after much thought, A pair of Secatuers, ideal for cutting wood up to an inch thick for fires ( secatuers = pruning sheers in Americanese)

Instead of the pruning shears (pruning shears=secatuers in Britanese
) and get an Ontario knife company 14" tanto for about $50. It will serve more than one purpose. I've had mine for about 10 years and have had to sharpen it only once. I've cut down tree's up to 6" in diameter with it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
may I ask what type of bag your using?..I have always swore by a larger pack with shoulder straps and a frame..For an INCH bag of course..I'm a firm beleiver that if you need to bug out,you should prepare for the worse..

So my thoery is if you need to bug out,why not be prepared to not come home..if not only temporary,long term or ever..

there are very light weight tents availible for cheep or even hennesy hammocks..that are basickly an enclosed hammock..

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Redpill- Sorry I don't know the model name/number of the bag. The one I use for my INCH was purchased from Eddie Baur several years ago. It had all the bells and whistles I needed at the time. It has had a stitch or two added to it over the years. My suggestion is find the bag that can carry the weight comfortably. I'm getting up there in years so I appreciate all the padding I can get, I sacrifice a bit of weight for the comfort.

Spiritowl

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I was discussing bags with a like minded friend the other day. He and his wife use military rucks. I'm a bit older and prefer the comfort of the newer bags. The foam makes it much easier on me to haul a bag around. I worked over my bag yesterday and was tickled to find it only weighs #50. That is without a sleeping bag or tent attached. Sadly I must admit I am not in the best of shape and even the #50 would give me limited mobility.

Spiritowl

new topics

top topics

join