It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration sides with RIAA in P2P lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Obama administration sides with RIAA in P2P lawsuit

news.cnet.com

A legal brief filed Sunday in a case that the Recording Industry Association of America is pursuing in Massachusetts argues that federal copyright law is not so overly broad and its penalties not so unduly severe they count as "punitive." Current law allows a copyright holder to receive up to $150,000 in damages per violation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
It seems unreasonable to me that any case imposing this kind of power to award damages of this magnitude can be considered anything other than cruel and unusual punishment.

Especially considering who they are targeting with these lawsuits.

Rather than go after industrial-level copyrights infringement; as in the mass production of DVD's Music and Software CD's overseas, they are criminalizing those least capable of inflicting harm on the 'copyright holders'.

I can't help but wonder if Obama's choice of US Attorney General staff like, Tom Perrelli and Donald Verilli don't play a part in this blatant show of corporate coddling:

Until recently, a top Justice Department official represented the RIAA in the Massachusetts case. In January, Obama picked Tom Perrelli for associate attorney general; he was listed as a "lead attorney" for the RIAA in the case and filed a formal notice of withdrawal less than two weeks earlier.

On February 4, Obama picked as associate deputy attorney general Donald Verrilli, who represented the RIAA in the Jammie Thomas case. Verrilli didn't file a motion to withdraw from the case until last week.

Now that the case is built they can 'withdraw', while the junior staff executes their 'plan'.

Sorry state really.

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Indeed, punishment is very harsh. Another invasion of privacy. I share lots of stuff on the web, but i get lots in return. Those corporations should be happy with the billions they make every year. But they want more!
Yet another attack on liberty and freedom of the people...

[edit on 23-3-2009 by teklordz]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

SonyBMG, TimeWarner, Viacom, Universal, EMI and other entertainment media companies have been making record profits all the while piracy has been on the increase.
arstechnica.com...
www.zeropaid.com...

They're crying wolf and exaggerating the threat of piracy to movie & music industry to exact a monopoly on where and how citizens can obtain entertainment media like movies, music and so on just so they can have unbridled rights to even greater profit making schemes.

Unfortunately, it is starting to buy them a lot of undue sympathy from politicians.

The cost of labour, time, resources and raw materials to produce an individual music album published by an artist is in the ten's of dollars. Not the hundred's of thousands.

These medieval punishments for copyright infringement are nothing more than frustrated, big-name corporations exacting undue revenge on anyone they can manage to find downloading pirated media, instead of going after the real sources of piracy:

The South-East Asian counterfeiting rings.

Who output more pirated films, albums, software and fashion products a day than BitTorrent sites like PirateBay do in a year.

[edit on 23/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I agree that the punishment for piracy needs to be strict. Here is why. The internet is not going anywhere but up to the top. As we progress we could see the end of hard media (cd's, dvd's etc.). Today the problem vary well could be exaggerated but in the future it is likely to grow.

With that being said nobody wants to see and individual get sent to prison or charged $150,000 for downloading a movie illegally. Furthermore we could only hope that as we progress these huge entertainment company's start to play a lesser role in distributing media. The time is coming that individual artists should be able to distribute their work on their own or with little help. This is a good thing.

Also, to get deeper into this idea I we need to think about what this is going to do with pop culture. I feel strongly about this issues but I can't find the words to explain myself. I want to post a link to a music video which gets the message across. (Warning, this video does contain explicit language) Video

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
There is a simple solution to this whole mess.

Just free up the P2P networks.

If it's illegal that will only make people want to do it more.

They can make money off of the p2p networks if they wanted to.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Styki

As we progress we could see the end of hard media (cd's, dvd's etc.). Today the problem vary well could be exaggerated but in the future it is likely to grow.

Good riddance to that.

Our TV is on a Digital medium, our radio will soon be on a digital medium, our primary methods of communication are all on digital mediums, even our books and paper will probably be replaced by digital mediums (E-Paper).

It's cheaper, it's more efficient, and it delivers the content right to the consumers in near original form quality.

Why do we need to hang onto to relics from the 1980's to distribute music and movies?

The Internet should and will become the primary source for all of our entertainment media, allowing high-quality direct streaming of films, music and TV to every user's home.

Provided we can do away with scumbags like the RIAA and MPAA.

Furthermore we could only hope that as we progress these huge entertainment company's start to play a lesser role in distributing media.

Are you really that naive?

The stated aim of faceless, heartless corporations like Sony or Universal or any corporation for that matter is to MAKE AS MUCH PROFIT AS IS POSSIBLE for it's share holders.

That is what these people have been doing for decades now.

They wouldn't give up the rights to distributing oxygen for free if they owned it; let alone multi-billion dollar, global industries like film and music production and promotion.

What kind of bizzarro world do you inhabit?
Free market capitalist societies like ours allow the rich to continue to get even richer and more influential while the government is powerless to regulate them or stop them monopolising industries. (i.e. The current Financial Crisis).

They're already at the top of the food chain so to speak, we don't need to allow them to have any more influence over our lives, period.

I feel strongly about this issues but I can't find the words to explain myself.

I do too. I'll put it as simply as it can possibly be boiled down to:

If businesses refuse to listen to consumer feedback about their products and issue substandard quality products continually for a prolonged period of time, people are going to refuse to pay for them outright and turn to other methods of acquiring said products or demand that they slash prices for their products.

That's the name of the game here.

Commodization and monopolization:

1. Allowing one or two super-giants to dominate the film, music, software, and entertainment industries.

2. Kicking out every single competitor through unfair trading practices or taking over them.

3. Colluding to fix prices as they see fit.

4. Lowering product quality because there's no one else on the market to offer anything better, while cutting down on production costs so much they generate even more profit.

5. Stifling innovation and technological advancement by refusing to spend any money on new research & development (because this cuts into their profit margins).

6. Forcing the consumer to accept whatever they offer, at whatever price they like, whereever they like, because the consumer has no other choice.

7. Preventing the government from regulating their monopolised industries through bribes, political espionage and outright lies.

As long people have to pay 50-70 dollars for a new video game whose production cost per unit sold is maybe $20 dollars, $20-30 dollars for a new album whose production is maybe $5 dollars per unit sold or $10-20 dollars to see a new film who's production cost is maybe $15 dollars per unit sold....

They will turn to illegal means to obtain them instead. People did it during the Prohibition and they're doing it now.

You treat the consumers like enslaved cattle who will graze where you tell them to graze and they're going to be giving you a lot of sour milk.

[edit on 24/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Instead of stealing music, movies, etc. how about just paying for it like you should be? Music at 99 cents a track and movie downloads off Netflix are reasonable nowadays. There's a lot of work that goes into producing these works that you like so much.

How would you feel if artists got fed up with all the rampant piracy and decided not to produce anything new? What if they said "What's the point? My work is being ripped off." and decided to do something else?

I find it ironic and pathetic that you guys are complaining about corporate greed while whining that you can't satisfy your own greed by stealing through peer to peer.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I don't know your age but when I was a kid, (in the 50's and 60's ) tape machines where prevelent and nearly everyone I grew up with taped music off radio.Reels and reels of music to listen to and edit to your own personal taste. I sent many to my friends in Viet Nam to listen to in their off hours because the latest music was hard to get. We NEVER heard one word about a problem. Now they are going after the same type of recording, although using a different media. and you can loose everything you own by doing it. Because they can go to a central area and find what exactly you want its a big deal! This is greed and nothing but greed! Next thing to hapen will be that you can't loan your CD's to friends without a penelty!
Zindo

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Instead of stealing music, movies, etc. how about just paying for it like you should be?

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Show me where I said I download pirated media? I said a lot of consumers surely will when they're treated like sheeple.

Music at 99 cents a track and movie downloads off Netflix are reasonable nowadays.

It doesn't even cost 99 cents of electricity to record a single music track these days.

You have no idea how sorely you are being ripped off.

There's a lot of work that goes into producing these works that you like so much.

Fall for their crocodile tears all you like.

According to the report, the RIAA and digital media companies (DiMA) believe the 9 cents they currently pay for each physical copy sold or digital media file that's downloaded is much too high. And as the music industry loses revenue, the RIAA and DiMA believe the artists should "accept less money in order to keep the whole industry alive."

news.cnet.com...

That's from the same greedy, fatcats that want to give people $150,000 dollar fines for downloading a single song and claim "piracy is destroying the entertainment industry".

How would you feel if artists got fed up with all the rampant piracy and decided not to produce anything new?

As above. It's not the consumer ripping off the artist, it's the producer.

If pirating is making such a tremendous impact on the future of recording artists, while are their sales continuing to sky rocket?

I find it ironic and pathetic that you guys are complaining about corporate greed while whining that you can't satisfy your own greed by stealing through peer to peer.

Blah, blah, blaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Cluelessness and ignorance abound. Go learn something. Come back to me when you can deliberate on it respectfully and peacefully instead of labelling everyone as "pirates".

[edit on 24/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

new topics

top topics

join