It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus? US to buy Chinese condoms, ending Alabama jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Stimulus? US to buy Chinese condoms, ending Alabama jobs

www.mcclatchydc.com

Call it a condom conundrum.

At a time when the federal government is spending billions of stimulus dollars to stem the tide of U.S. layoffs, should that same government put even more Americans out of work by buying cheaper foreign products?

In this case, Chinese condoms.

That's the dilemma for the folks at jobs, the government is switching to cheaper off-shore condoms, including some made in China.

In a move expected to cost 300 American the U.S. Agency for International Development, which has distributed an estimated 10 billion U.S.-made AIDS-preventing condoms in poor countries around the world.

But not anymore.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Now this is what I call "stimulus". Give me a break. How much could they possibly save buying Chinese condoms that make it worth losing 300 jobs? Even if you want to buy them, wait until there is not an embarrasing story every day coming out of your shop.

Now the kicker will be when we give these condoms out all over the third world, it will be discovered that they are loaded with some heavy metal and will make folks sick. Then we'll have to spend millions in medical care.

Why we're shipping condoms overseas in the first place is yet another issue.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Not long ago a friend of mine had a birthday party for a family member and she made the comment: This plastic ware we're using is NOT made in China... I don't trust their stuff.

Then, the conversation went into the problems of their manufacturing, quality control, and then onto regular dinnerware, cups, etc...

I can see and hear it now... amorous feelings arise between a couple and things are progressing well. Then, all of a sudden everything comes to a full stop because the condoms are made in China and at least one of the parties involved will not let it touch their body! HA...

Don't think it could happen? I do.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I never thought of this before. But since you bring it up...

Chinese condoms? If I were a guy, I'd be a little concerned about what that condom was made of. Considering the crap they put in pet food and the lead in the paint, etc etc. And If I were a younger woman who had a partner that used them, i'd be concerned about what he was using and it's effects ON ME.

From a paranoid military perspective ... which may not be so paranoid ... what better way to screw up the enemies future combat readiness then to get a grip on the enemies reproductive abilities. There might be things in them that the chinese gov't put there ON PURPOSE. That may, or may not, be paranoid. But it's a thought ... an opening for something ...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I tried a google search to see how many condom factories there are in the U.S.

Not surprisingly, the search brought me lots of results for condoms made in China, or Viet Nam, so after the first 2 pages I quit looking.

I don't have a need to be using any, because I can't have children and don't participate in dangerous activities, but I am going to be checking out boxes of condoms next time I am in a store that sells them to see where they are produced.

It seems the majority by what I googled are not produced in the U.S. anyway.

It sounds sort of like problems facing the auto industry. Why buy American, when a product can be produced in another country that produces the same product, being affective, at a lower cost?

Apparently people buy them, so if the people that use them are willing to buy some made in another country already, what's your point?

I'm going to Walgreens as an undercover shopper on this one. I will examine every brand box they have to see where they are made.

Don't epect results on my venture before tomorrow evening, but I will post my results!

edit to add:

Oh, I can't wait for the looks I'm going to get while I jot down notes at Walgreens on this one!

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
WOW..this is really weird...so are they saying, trojan and naural lamb are closing shop????

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
This is insane.

How have you guys ended up with the situation where the US taxpayer is paying for condoms made by China to be distributed in Africa?

China gets rich, the US gets poor and Africa continues at the same rate since their leaders don't believe that AIDS exists anyway...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Chinese condoms being sent to Africa...something tells me that might cause some problems.

But at least we know why they're cheaper to make in China.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I'm surprised that other countries would buy their condoms, not only are their products low quality but if they don't fit, how are you even going to use em? Chinese condoms being sent to Africa...something tells me that might cause some problems.

Uhm, what exactly are you getting at here?

This is about the most absurd post I have ever seen on ATS!

Are you saying condums are only one size fits all? Don't you think the people that produce them would, ahem.....realize that size does matter?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm reminded of an old Monty Python bit...I like Chinese they only come up to your knees they're very eager to please, thats why I like Chinese.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
& then theres the old Monty Python bit/song called...Isn't awfully nice to have a Penis. Its amazing how old things can come back to life at any given time.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
AHhaha.

There is NO WAY I would trust a Chinese Jimmy Hat to keep intact!
I mean come on, there are like what.... 50 TRILLION CHINESE on the planet???!!???

This is a flat out insult to the American People!

[edit on 23-3-2009 by bismarcksea]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Oh dear lord....

The Communists have infiltrated our condoms! Woe upon us Western nations, is there no product safe in our supermarket shelves from the filthy hands of the Chinese peril?

Considering the fact the world's largest manufacturers of latex used in condoms are in China and India, and the fact that we have yet to see any large scale, class-action suits being brought against any of them for "malpractice" or poor quality control standards...

I'm not too worried.

70% of what you consume daily comes from China, and you're all still here and healthy are you not?

Cut out the sensationalism. Your more likely to die in a car crash than to die from food poisoning or "contaminated Chinese goods".

[edit on 23/3/09 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Forget about them making you sick. You won't have time to worry about it once you realize you're going to have a BABY because your cheap Chinese condom didn't even put up a fight!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Um, why would you buy condoms from a country that gives you lead toys? Just a thought...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

I avoid buying any of the previously dangerous products when I can, but I do the same thing with American produce. I have a tendency to not trust a product once it has killed someone or made people very sick, doesn't matter what country it comes from. I may trust myself with a remote made in China but condoms are a whole different ball park and I don't think it is worth the risk. Obviously the US is at fault as well for buying the cheaper products without making sure they're safe, people keep dropping the ball and I'm cautious so I don't have to end of paying for their mistakes.

new topics

top topics

join