It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Mocks Canadian Military

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I agree with you, Orot....

Any Human's death is a tragedy....no matter which 'side' they may be on....it is still tragic. Because, it matters to many, many others, in the family.....THAT is even more tragic....

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
How can anyone in the media not be aware that Canada has a ongoing mission in Afganistan? This has to be the saddest excuse I've heard in a while.

Public relations with your northern neighboors just took a nose dive.

If it would make the Canadians feel any better at all, I will not be annoyed in the least if they decided to take military action against Fox News.

You have my blessing.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Any Human's death is a tragedy....no matter which 'side' they may be on....it is still tragic. Because, it matters to many, many others, in the family.....THAT is even more tragic....

It is a tragedy. Those soldiers, and those bystanders, and everyone who has been hurt in this war, and this "cleanup mission" and whatever the hell else anyone wants to call it - have families.

These people have names. They have loved ones. They had lives, which they chose to lay on the line so that people like me, and you and our parents, and our kids, don't have to.

They made a sacrifice and the fact that someone has the audacity to make it a joke is tasteless. Utterly tasteless.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

If it would make the Canadians feel any better at all, I will not be annoyed in the least if they decided to take military action against Fox News.

You have my blessing.

A worthy war indeed!

Well, it appears my earlier belief that there would be no apology from Fox was in error

Fox Apologizes

The sky must be falling. This came fast imo.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Well, it appears my earlier belief that there would be no apology from Fox was in error

Fox Apologizes

Right. From that source:

“The March 17th episode of Red Eye included a segment discussing Canada's plan for a ‘synchronized break,’ which was in no way an attempt to make light of troop efforts. However, I realize that my words may have been misunderstood,” Gutfeld said in the statement. “It was not my intent to disrespect the brave men, women and families of the Canadian military, and for that I apologize. Red Eye is a satirical take on the news, in which all topics are addressed in a lighthearted, humorous and ridiculous manner.”

There's your apology, explanation and pat on the back. All in one. I still don't know why people got so up in arms about this. We're Canadians for Christ sake. Comedy is in our genes.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
That wasn't comedy... it was a blatant attempt to slander their allies.
Comedy requires there to be humor.

Our soldiers are dying for their cause, in a war we don't even want to be in... but we went in because they're our ally and they requested our help.

What do we get for helping them? They slander the very same people who have lost lives to help them.

No,
I love humor... but this simply wasn't humor.

I think next time the US begs for our help, we should turn our backs on them.

As for Afghanistan, lets just pack up now rather than waiting till 2011. Let the Taliban flood into the regions we used to hold.
If the Americans think they can do this alone, let them prove it.

I'd prefer it if we never lost another Canadian soldier trying to assist these jackals.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
There's your apology, explanation and pat on the back. All in one. I still don't know why people got so up in arms about this. We're Canadians for Christ sake. Comedy is in our genes.

Did you watch the clip? I didn't find any humor there. Maybe you did or just don't care, but when I saw it this morning it pissed me off. Can't help it friend, thats how I and many others feel about it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
That wasn't comedy... it was a blatant attempt to slander their allies.
Comedy requires there to be humor.

As I said in another thread, humor is in the eye of the individual. I didn't find it funny either but some might.

Our soldiers are dying for their cause, in a war we don't even want to be in... but we went in because they're our ally and they requested our help.

Yeah, that's what an ally does. Would you expect more/less from the States?

What do we get for helping them? They slander the very same people who have lost lives to help them.

Whoa dude, you're talking about a show that has the viewship of .1% of America. Painting them with that brush is WAY out of line imo. As noted above, the person responsible for this piece not only apologized but also acknowledged the sacrifice that Canadian service persons and families have had to make.

I'd prefer it if we never lost another Canadian soldier trying to assist these jackals.

I'd prefer it if we never lost another son/daughter as well. "Jackals"? Harsh don't you think?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Did you watch the clip? I didn't find any humor there.

Yes, I watched and, NO, I didn't see the humor in it. Like I said before humor is in the eye of the individual. That said this show has damn near NO audience base.

Tempest in a teapot imo.

Be upset if you want to. What will it change though?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Be upset if you want to. What will it change though?

What did it change? Come on Intrepid, isn't deny ignorance a saying around here? Well, we refused to allow Fox to deny the ignorant remarks made on their programing.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

As an American, I would like to assure you that many of us feel the exact same way about the war, and about the jackals who started it. And we do have responsibility for allowing them to hijack our government. We are working on it, it is going to take a while for people to realize that both parties are being paid from the same corporate pot.

However, I do understand your outrage, and, again would like to extend my suggestion that Canada declare war on Fox News. It might make you feel better, and it sure as heck would make many of us feel better.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Well, we refused to allow Fox to deny the ignorant remarks made on their programing.

Excellent campaign. Are you now going to stand up and join the forces and do some real work?

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Intrepid is right. To denounce being our ally over 1 moron's attempt at humor?? My family is Canadian and I have many relatives that served and died in the Canadian military, so even though I'm American I can see it from both sides, and it was pretty obvious they weren't making those stupid jokes while talking about the fallen soldiers, they probably weren't even aware. I see the funny angle they were trying to get at by saying it's not tough to get a manicure, but 1st, I'm sure the guy making that joke had JUST had a fresh coat of makeup applied, and 2nd, why is it an insult to be clean?? Does anybody remember the Imus incident, did you think what he said warranted his losing everything? Either we have the right to speak our minds and put our feet in our mouths sometimes, or we can call China and ask them for advice on how to make sure NOBODY is offended by what is said on TV, radio, etc. I've made jokes before that I realized after may have hurt the feelings of somebody else, although it was not my intent at all. None of us have time to think EVERYTHING we say through ALL the time.

Oh yeah, and I can't stand fox news, just for the record.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by 27jd]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Humour IS in the eye of the beholder, as the saying goes.

(well....really, it is 'Beauty' to replace the word 'humour'....but, it still works)

Without going too far off....the late great Lenny Bruce was a comic who broke ground, and paid a price. Let's not forget George Carlin....

Richard Pryor.....I'll even throw in Jackie Gleason, right-winger that he was.

Point is, not EVERYONE found each of those individuals funny, every time.

However....when it came to deaths in combat, I would venture that NONE of them would ever think to make a joke.....EVER!!!!

Perhaps these boobs on 'Fox News' didn't realize that people were dying....as part of the Canadian Forces. This ridiculous show might have been taped days ago....but, still....the idiocy, to imagine that no one else has been hurt or maimed or killed.....does NOT absolve them of the stupidity of their discourse. AND, the complete lack of any compassion for others who have died, in the Iraq and Afghanistan 'conflicts'.....and, please don't call them 'wars'!!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Liberals feigning indignance! That always cracks me up. Where were you guys when the South Park Movie came out? Did you jump to Canada's defense then?

You guys do realize that The Onion is ALSO SATIRE, right?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

Well , I was satisfied with the prompt apology from Fox but it appears the backlash continues.

Apology fails to quell storm

This is shamefull really, threatning violence towards one of the show's panelists. They screwed up and have apologized, end of story. Now we look like idiots.

[edit on 24-3-2009 by FreeSpeaker]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

This is shamefull really, threatning violence towards one of the show's panelists. They screwed up and have apologized, end of story. Now we look like idiots.

I don't see what's wrong with that clown having to eat his words. Ya wanna be edgy? There ya go!

It's not about mocking Canada...we're really good at that ourselves. It's about a war that we couldn't justify to begin with, and now Steve is saying it can't be won, anyway. We're getting the dead stacked up...we know that because we're allowed to see their repatriation in this country...and we can't honestly say why, except that it's unseeming to run out on our pals when they need us.

So that's why we're not partial to those arses at Fox poking fun.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

It's not about mocking Canada...we're really good at that ourselves. It's about a war that we couldn't justify to begin with, and now Steve is saying it can't be won, anyway. We're getting the dead stacked up...we know that because we're allowed to see their repatriation in this country...and we can't honestly say why, except that it's unseeming to run out on our pals when they need us.

So that's why we're not partial to those arses at Fox poking fun.

They have apologized, what more can we ask for? Threatning a comedian after recieveing his apology only makes us look like reactionists. Yes, our armed forces are being hit hard recently, but as you stated we do not run out on our allies when they need us. That is honorable and how we should be perceived. Not as reactionists who can't accept a apology.

Nothing gained here.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Absolutely tacky, and way over the top stupidity - especially when its people dying in war appearing to be mocked - not to mention, its OK to mock your own but in very poor taste to mock someone else's problems.

Having said that, after the initial twisting of my gut I quickly got to the feeling the people on the panel were in fact mocking American stupidity. They were clearly making themselves out to be the boobs. There were even a few challenging points made towards the end by the woman and the remote guest that made it clear that Canada was in fact not a bad place or the subject of the mockery. It was the all too often visible American ignorance that was being mocked.

Now, having said that, I will say they shouldn't have done it. They should not have taken even slightest risk that they would offend a good neighbour who has put his life on the line for you.

[edit on 3/24/2009 by wayno]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I don't know, wayno...

When they got around to mentioning Mexico....the guy on the feed ALSO mentioned Brazil!!!

Either he is woefully ignorant of the geography and social differences, or he is just an idiot. Pick one.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join