It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska's Mount Redoubt Erupts Four Times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Alaska's Mount Redoubt Erupts Four Times

www.foxnews.com

BREAKING NEWS — Alaska's Mt. Redoubt volcano erupted late Monday and early Tuesday in "four large explosions," sending an ash plume an estimated 50,000 feet into the air, the Alaska Volcano Observatory reported.

Geologists at the observatory say the volcano, located 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, erupted four times, from 10:30 p.m. to 1:40 a.m. local time.

Geophysicist John Power said, "this is a fairly large eruption, close to the larger cities in Alaska."

He says no cities have yet reported any ash fall from the volcano, but noted that it's still early.

Winds were expected to carry the ash plume north toward the Susitna Valley, possibly missing Anchorage to the east, the National Weather Service told the Anchorage Daily News.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Earth seems to be releasing her fury. My brother's family is out there. I have to call them to see how they're doing. He just got back from Iraq...I'm sure the last thing he needs is more Boom.

Geologists have been warning about this volcano erupting for a few weeks now. There seems to be widespread geological events across the globe lately. I wonder what else is in store for us?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You got this story up quick! Star for you! This volcano has been threatning to blow for a while now, they even lowered the threat level and said it had subsided, lo and behold it has blown!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I have a secret to that.

I get my news DIRECTLY from a wire. I have to wait the 10 minutes for the web sites to carry it.

After that underwater volcano and huge earthquake this has me a bit on edge.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yes its scary because, these could just be pre eruptions.
The big ones could come later.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
is it 4 vents or 4 pulses from 1 vent? if its 4 vents then thats a whole lot of fluid magma down there wanting to get out

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Someone might like to point out to Fox that today is Monday and the eruptions occurred late Sunday and early today. Not "late Monday and early Tuesday"!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Leave it to FOX to lie about the date of a natural disaster on top of everything else they lie about...Those damned bastards!

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I hope it isn't venting. I've watched enough natural disaster shows on the Discovery Channel to know how bad that is. Does anyone know when the last time this volcano erupted?

[edit on 23-3-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reading the website

www.avo.alaska.edu...

they detected harmonic tremor on saturday night

edit:

my bad harmonic tremor was sunday lunchtime , sat night was the status increase - i think they knew then it was a case of `how big` rather than `if`

[edit on 23/3/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
According to this website you posted it erupted last in 1989. And it is currently venting. I hope this isn't going to be bad.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There's already a 20 pages thread about Redoubt in the Fragile Earth section.
Come all! -> www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Look at this link I found, and scroll down and look at the seismic events.
Some of them are totaly of the chart, I cant imagine that is normal..

Usgs.gov
The site say it updates every 30 minutes..

This here is the one I was refering too.
Tarawa Island, Look at this

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Check out this site for seismic activity....have been monitoring it for about a week now..
appears that we are "cracking up" !!!!
Actually, it's physically frightening. Lots of activity!!!

www.iris.edu...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsomadhatter
Check out this site for seismic activity....have been monitoring it for about a week now..
appears that we are "cracking up" !!!!
Actually, it's physically frightening. Lots of activity!!!

www.iris.edu...

Look at this one, hope it is all natural and nothing just staring to happen..

-= Indicators =-

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Things are going to continue to intensify. Yellowstone is 40,000 years overdue. The increased solar activity on the Sun starting now and continuing on to 2012 will have a direct impact on the number and intensity of earthquakes and volcanoes as well.

science.nasa.gov...

From The Times
January 5, 2009
Fears over earthquake 'swarm' at Yellowstone National Park

(William Kronholm/AP)
Yellowstone National Park: the most devastating earthquake hit August 17, 1959, which measured 7.1
Mike Harvey in San Francisco
Hundreds of earthquakes have hit Yellowstone National Park, raising fears of a more powerful volcanic eruption.

The earthquake swarm, the biggest in more than 20 years, is being closely monitored by scientists and emergency authorities.

The series of small quakes included three last Friday which measured stronger than magnitude 3.0. The strongest since this latest swarm of quakes began on December 27 was 3.9.

No damage has yet been reported but scientists say this level of activity - there have been more than 500 tremors in the last week - is highly unusual.

"The earthquake sequence is the most intense in this area for some years," said the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. Some of the larger earthquakes have been felt by park employees and guests, according to the observatory.

The swarm is occurring beneath the northern part of Yellowstone Lake in the park. Yellowstone sits on the caldera of an ancient supervolcano and continuing geothermal activity can be seen in the picturesque geysers and steam holes, such as Old Faithful.

About 1,000 to 2,000 tremors a year have been recorded since 2004. The most devastating earthquake in recent history in the Yellowstone region occurred on August 17, 1959, when a magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit.

It was centered near Hebgen Lake, Montana and it caused landslides that killed 28 people and caused more than $11 million in damage.

Geysers in Yellowstone National park changed eruption times, and new ones began to erupt. On June 30, 1975, a magnitude 6.4 tremor hit the park.

Professor Robert B. Smith, a geophysicist at the University of Utah and one of the leading experts on earthquake and volcanic activity at Yellowstone, said that the swarm was significant.

"It's not business as usual," he said. "This is a large earthquake swarm, and we've recorded several hundred. We are paying careful attention. This is an important sequence."

The last full-scale explosion of the Yellowstone Supervolcano, the Lava Creek eruption which happened approximately 640,000 years ago, ejected about 240 cubic miles of rock and dust into the sky.

Geologists have been closely monitoring the rise and fall of the Yellowstone Plateau as an indication of changes in magma chamber pressure.

The Yellowstone caldera floor has risen recently - almost 3in per year for the past three years - a rate more than three times greater than ever observed since such measurements began in 1923.

From mid-summer 2004 through to mid-summer 2008, the land surface within the caldera moved upwards as much as 8in at the White Lake GPS station. The last major earthquake swarm was in 1985 and lasted three months.

The observatory said similar swarms have occurred in the past without triggering steam explosions or volcanic activity. However, the observatory said there is some potential for explosions and that earthquakes may continue and increase in intensity.

Joe Moore, director of the Wyoming Office of Homeland Security, said his office is tracking the events at Yellowstone on a minute-by-minute basis. "It's being followed very closely," Mr Moore said.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Teahupoo

[edit on 3/23/2009 by Teahupoo]

[edit on 3/23/2009 by Teahupoo]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
another explosion at 04.37 local time

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The latest update as follows:

2009-03-23 07:46:00
The eruption of Redoubt volcano continues.

Ash plumes generated by the explosive bursts so far have all drifted to the north.

Ashfall advisories are available on the National Weather Service site pafc.arh.noaa.gov...

AVO's web camera near the volcano is no longer functioning

www.avo.alaska.edu...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
According to this yahoo news report it is 5 times and ash was being experienced over 50 miles from the volacano!

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
have the USGS or anyone else given this a VEI rating yet?

new topics

top topics

join